When you've done a technique so many times that you don't need much effort to generate power.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have experience of this and I'm sure many in here too. You've done something so many times that you can get the same power with half the effort. Yet you don't feel anything has drastically changed, you just notice that the power output is effective.

What is the body doing differently that makes it so much more effective? Is it a balance thing, is it raw developed muscles that don't need as much pull as before?

Have you guys thought about what it is about repetition that causes this?

I

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the body doing differently that makes it so much more effective?
After you have repeated a certain technique many times, your body and your limbs are united. Your power start to be generated from your body instead of from your limbs.

To be able to use body to push/pull limbs is all we try to achieve. This is the opposite of the term "muscle group isolation".

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have experience of this and I'm sure many in here too. You've done something so many times that you can get the same power with half the effort. Yet you don't feel anything has drastically changed, you just notice that the power output is effective.

What is the body doing differently that makes it so much more effective? Is it a balance thing, is it raw developed muscles that don't need as much pull as before?

It's not the repetition that is directly responsible, although it is a requirement.
See below:
After you have repeated a certain technique many times, your body and your limbs are united. Your power start to be generated from your body instead of from your limbs.

This is the more direct cause of that power generation with less effort. It's a matter of many subtle points of timing, relaxation and tension, strength, form, hip and shoulder action, etc. that allow the technique to be executed as a unified marriage of all these things. I think it's like a symphony, many different instruments united together making beautiful music.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To coin an old phrase, "float like a butterfly sting like a bee".. Clear the mind and let the body do what you have trained it to do. It's not as hard as we make it out to be. As soon as we think about what we want to do we have locked our mind......

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
To coin an old phrase, "float like a butterfly sting like a bee".. Clear the mind and let the body do what you have trained it to do. It's not as hard as we make it out to be. As soon as we think about what we want to do we have locked our mind......

It looks almost disrespectful:)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
About the same time I started taking lessons in TMA ...back when I was a freshman in college, I enrolled in an elective gymnastics class at my school. I'm short and was pretty skinny back then, but had good upper body strength (pushups and pull ups were really easy for me) so the coach steered me towards the rings. Trusting in my strength I tried to power-through the basic moves he showed me and found them impossibly hard. But in a very short time, I learned to relax and use my body and timing to power my movements ...and they got so much easier.

Now, as a beginner I was already too old to pursue gymnastics seriously, but the experience really showed me the importance of things like selective muscle use, good structure, relaxation, whole body integration and timing to perform movements, even movements that look like they depend only on strength.

All these factors are built through training and repetition increase kinetic efficiency. And this is very true for the martial arts.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
About the same time I started taking lessons in TMA ...back when I was a freshman in college, I enrolled in an elective gymnastics class at my school. I'm short and was pretty skinny back then, but had good upper body strength (pushups and pull ups were really easy for me) so the coach steered me towards the rings. Trusting in my strength I tried to power-through the basic moves he showed me and found them impossibly hard. But in a very short time, I learned to relax and use my body and timing to power my movements ...and they got so much easier.

Now, as a beginner I was already too old to pursue gymnastics seriously, but the experience really showed me the importance of things like selective muscle use, good structure, relaxation, whole body integration and timing to perform movements, even movements that look like they depend only on strength.

All these factors are built through training and repetition increase kinetic efficiency. And this is very true for the martial arts.

To take tennis as an example. Pete Sampras used the same outdated racket through the 90s yet his serve got harder each year even though his technique remained the same.

There are probably subtle things that comes to balance and weight distribution that led to this.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I
It is my observation that you ask questions, but it is not to discuss other's opinions, it is to give your own and explain why you are right.

You might be better served by stating your actual point, rather than inviting others to comment so that you can then trot your actual agenda out.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is my observation that you ask questions, but it is not to discuss other's opinions, it is to give your own and explain why you are right.

You might be better served by stating your actual point, rather than inviting others to comment so that you can then trot your actual agenda out.

I have stated it. I believe it might be twofold. Both better full body coordination and an increased muscle. I don't believe it's mental at all.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have stated it. I believe it might be twofold. Both better full body coordination and an increased muscle. I don't believe it's mental at all.
I don't believe you really got Bill's point. Rather than asking what are essentially rhetorical questions, why not just straight out state your opinions and invite commentary! ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are 2 kind of discussions.

- You state a question, you ask for solutions. The discussion should among those solutions.
- You state a question, you give a solution. You then ask for comments. The discussion should concentrate on your solution.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are 2 kind of discussions.

- You state a question, you ask for solutions. The discussion should among those solutions.
- You state a question, you give a solution. You then ask for comments. The discussion should concentrate on your solution.
I will add that both of these discussion should be fluid. Informational discussions are seldom finite.

Latest Discussions