Meandering thoughts

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure about grandmother but definitely remember some 'mother' and 'father' queries.
It's scary how time flies by. I had a kid, Andrew in our class. He was thirteen or fourteen, trained the adults advanced class. One of the smartest fighters I ever trained. Wasn't the fastest, strongest or any other "est", just fought wicked smart.

Chatting with an old sparring partner, buddy on Boston PD the other day. Asked him what ever happened to Andrew. Told me he went on the PD.....and is retiring in six months.

Damn.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's scary how time flies by. I had a kid, Andrew in our class. He was thirteen or fourteen, trained the adults advanced class. One of the smartest fighters I ever trained. Wasn't the fastest, strongest or any other "est", just fought wicked smart.

Chatting with an old sparring partner, buddy on Boston PD the other day. Asked him what ever happened to Andrew. Told me he went on the PD.....and is retiring in six months.

Damn.
Time has flown, that is for certain.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the years, I've been asked by students to write recommendations for scholarships, jobs, etc. Today I got a text that got me thinking about some of those students.
One is now a Jr at Princeton, on a full ride academic scholarship, studying international law.
One is on a full ride academic scholarship to the School of Mines, studying mechanical engineering.
One is in her final year studying Veterinary Medicine.
One is in law enforcement. The FBI recently contacted me as part of the background checking they do for their hiring process.
Several are in the military. Out of the blue, I got a text from one of them today, thanking me for helping make them who they are today.
Is there any greater compliment any teacher can hope for?
One of my dojomates and students is now a US Marine, as was I, training to become a Military Policeman, as was I. He's a terrific karateka, a great Marine, and I'm honored that he credits me with any of that. It is a humbling and gratifying experience.

Many students come and go. Most don't stay as long as he did, from age 7 to 21. I am not in touch with any of them. But here's what matters to me.

I remember the adults who had a positive effect on my life. I may not remember their names, and the passage of time leaves me unable to even remember the exact things they did for me mostly, but I know they existed, that they cared, that they were role models. I carry their influence on me as part of my personality today.

I strive to be one of those people. A helper. A positive influence. An example of what a good adult should be. I am not perfect, I fail, but I try my best. I want to be a good memory for my students, someone they could trust to guide them.

It has little to do with martial arts and more to do with being a decent human being in a position of trust. Karate is just the vehicle.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was watching a TV show the other day. I recognized one of the bit characters in one episode. I was doing that thing where you try and place what show or movie you've seen them in before, when I realized, "Oh yeah, I used to teach her Taekwondo!"

She was only in our class for a year, maybe less. But she was really good. I think her background as a professional dancer really helped. Then she tried the hollywood thing, then a brief stint as a cop.

I recently saw that she's back in my town, teaching yoga classes. It's something I've thought about doing, so I figured I'd try her class out. I'm going tomorrow. Going to feel a little bit like Obi-Wan Kenobi when he met Darth Vader on the death star. You know, when Vader says, "When I left you, I was but a learner. Now, I am the master."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Over the years, I've been asked by students to write recommendations for scholarships, jobs, etc. Today I got a text that got me thinking about some of those students.
One is now a Jr at Princeton, on a full ride academic scholarship, studying international law.
One is on a full ride academic scholarship to the School of Mines, studying mechanical engineering.
One is in her final year studying Veterinary Medicine.
One is in law enforcement. The FBI recently contacted me as part of the background checking they do for their hiring process.
Several are in the military. Out of the blue, I got a text from one of them today, thanking me for helping make them who they are today.
Is there any greater compliment any teacher can hope for?
At my first Sifu's school there was this young kid, who was a rather talented martial artist.....saw him when I trained there, but had little interaction
He is now the school owner and an amazingly talented martial artist and I was training with him before the knee issues and I plan on training with him again when I can....... but this kid...is now a school owner, who spent his summers training in China while in college, is now a college graduate, married and has kids of his own.......as for me..... I'm old

andras

White Belt
Reaction score
On a humorous note on this topic, sometimes one is asked to provide a reference for someone one really doesn't want to provide a reference for. One doesn't want to lie, but one doesn't want to lose a friend or deal with the rejected person either.

One professor faced with this quandary created a Lexicon of Inspicuously Ambiguous Referrals, or LIAR for short. It includes gems like:

To describe a candidate who is woefully inept: "I most enthusiastically recommend this candidate with no qualifications whatsoever."

- For the candidate who is not particularly industrious: "In my opinion, you will be very fortunate to get this person to work for you."

- For the candidate with lackluster credentials: "All in all, I cannot say enough good things about this candidate to recommend him too highly."

- To describe the ex-employee who had difficulty getting along with fellow workers: "I am pleased to say that this candidate is a former colleague of mine."

- And for the candidate who is so unproductive that the position would be better left unfilled: "I can assure you that no person would be better for the job."

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On a humorous note on this topic, sometimes one is asked to provide a reference for someone one really doesn't want to provide a reference for. One doesn't want to lie, but one doesn't want to lose a friend or deal with the rejected person either.

One professor faced with this quandary created a Lexicon of Inspicuously Ambiguous Referrals, or LIAR for short. It includes gems like:

To describe a candidate who is woefully inept: "I most enthusiastically recommend this candidate with no qualifications whatsoever."

- For the candidate who is not particularly industrious: "In my opinion, you will be very fortunate to get this person to work for you."

- For the candidate with lackluster credentials: "All in all, I cannot say enough good things about this candidate to recommend him too highly."

- To describe the ex-employee who had difficulty getting along with fellow workers: "I am pleased to say that this candidate is a former colleague of mine."

- And for the candidate who is so unproductive that the position would be better left unfilled: "I can assure you that no person would be better for the job."
This is immensely worse than not providing a referral because it is completely transparent. Full of the things that should have been discussed when he/she was a student.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

My Mom hated giving referrals. She always wanted to lie. Someone she loves and wants to keep? Sabotage their job offer so they want to stay. Someone she was desperate to get rid of? Give them the best referral imaginable.

(She never did, but she was always tempted).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure about grandmother but definitely remember some 'mother' and 'father' queries.
As a high school teacher for nearly 27 years, I've taught plenty of students whose parents were also my students, and a few of the faculty here were once my students as well. Soon I'll be getting the grandkids of my first students ....which seems really weird since I was already 40 years old when I started this job.

Haven't had the same generational continuity with the MA though ....perhaps because I only work with small groups of adults?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As a high school teacher for nearly 27 years, I've taught plenty of students whose parents were also my students, and a few of the faculty here were once my students as well. Soon I'll be getting the grandkids of my first students ....which seems really weird since I was already 40 years old when I started this job.

Haven't had the same generational continuity with the MA though ....perhaps because I only work with small groups of adults?

My fiancée, between wives, was a kindergarten teacher, she was in her mid 30s, and once while out to dinner a young guy came to the table, told her who he was and that he was in college now..... it was a kid from her first year teaching kindergarten class.

Latest Discussions