Master

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Master. I swear lately, this poor word seems to be taking alot of abuse...lol. Seems like its very common as of late. So since it seems to be a popular word, I thought I'd ask the opinions of everyone here. :)

What defines a Master?

When would it be safe to say that one has Mastered an art?

Is there a certain age in which one should call themselves a Master?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suppose anyone can call themselves that. Like 'sensei', it only means something to the person who uses that title and those who refer to him with that title.

If I had to hazard an opinion, I would say that when a sensei has students that are themselves sensei, then he is their sensei and their students would likely refer to him as 'master'. If his or her students have students who are sensei, then perhaps the term 'grandmaster' becomes warranted.

But honestly, I don't know. I know of one sensei who styles himself 'Grandmaster', but then again, he holds 10th Dan in a legitimate ryu. Can't get any higher, so if he wants to call himself that, who am I (a humble student) to say he is not?

I have heard other sensei refer to my sensei as 'master', which I suppose would be legitimate; he has over 40 years in, he has students who are referred to by us as 'sensei' as well. But he does not call himself that, nor demand that we call him that. So he's 'master' to some who are not his students but hold high regard for him, and 'sensei' to us who are his students.

Bottom line, though? Personal preference. Nothing stopping a person from founding their own style, and claiming GM status if they wish. It's up to others to decide if that is deserving of respect or not.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
well if you are not Hanshi-judan you are NOT a master. its that simple. Kyoshi, shihan, very very high ranked, but NOT masters.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Master. I swear lately, this poor word seems to be taking alot of abuse...lol. Seems like its very common as of late. So since it seems to be a popular word, I thought I'd ask the opinions of everyone here. :)

What defines a Master?

Their actions, attitude and behaviour.

Never. See above.

No. That title should be bestowed by others, never oneself.

People who are deserving of that title just do what they do, really, really well. And they never brag about it. But everyone just knows.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What defines a Master?

To me, it is the ability to travel along the journey primarily on your own, without having to have a teacher direct you constantly. In other words, when you can teach yourself.

Bruce Lee says that all questions must fall before a student calls himself a master. Another way is when your teacher calls you one, sort of like the saying you are not a man until your father calls you a man.

No.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like 'sensei', it only means something to the person who uses that title and those who refer to him with that title.

When I did Shotokan, there was only one sensei, who was the chief instructor of the school. Everyone else was sempai.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I haven't personally trained with anyone who refers to themselves as "Master" or "Grandmaster" although my previous instructor does refer to Robert Trias as "Grandmaster Robert Trias", but only did so after he passed away, I believe. I've only ever heard my current sensei refer to one person as a master--Hanshi Kudan Doug Perry--and even then it was to describe him rather than the title he was referred to.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I did Shotokan, there was only one sensei, who was the chief instructor of the school. Everyone else was sempai.

In my dojo, senpai is the senior underbelt present. He or she takes charge of the underbelt line when bowing in or our, or during promotions. I'm sure it's different in different places. We don't call anyone 'master' in our dojo either, but I have heard people refer to our sensei and his sensei as 'master'. I guess it all depends on the person and the context.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was told by one older Japanese gentleman that it's difficult to tell who would qualify as a master, but easy to tell who does not. If someone calls themselves master, then it is very obvious that they are not since a true master would have no need to call himself such.

well if you are not Hanshi-judan you are NOT a master. its that simple. Kyoshi, shihan, very very high ranked, but NOT masters.

According to who? I am assuming this is just your opinion that you've presented as fact, since Japanese teaching titles have nothing to do with the western word 'master'.

I guess it all depends on the person and the context.
As with most everything in life. Trying to make blanket statements to cover unrelated arts out of context is just stirring up trouble, in my opinion. :)

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A master to me is someone who's skill is so awesome in a particular art that he/she is beyond the need for such titles. He/she only is called a master simply as a sign of respect and for those under him/her to have something to inspire to become.

It is safe to call someone a master when the title is passed on to him/her from a previous master or one who has walked the path before and who's skills can support the path said master walks.

I do not think there is a certain age but I think the path a master walks is a long path full of difficulty, self discovery, self perfection that can not be obtain in a short period of time. A master to me starts the path with black hair and comes out with white hair.

Anyway just my opinion.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A master is someone that you could consider a living example of the art in my opinion. Nobody is perfect, but a person who has mastered all the physical skills of the art and still seeks to imporve on them would be a master in my opinion. It is not a term to be thrown around but I don think that there are some out there who deserve the title.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate here......

We all think of a master as someone highly skilled but is this a matter of mistranslation/misunderstanding on our part

In the old days, a male school teacher was called the master.......when the asian arts were brought here, were they using this understanding of the word, in saying that a sifu( or sensei) was the teacher, ie. master....rather than commenting on his skill level.
Was it understood that to be a teacher/ master, that you had to have become quite proficient to do so.?

Also, in the bible, Jesus is referred to as "master", meaning teacher.

Just throwing some food for thought out there.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
We all think of a master as someone highly skilled but is this a matter of mistranslation/misunderstanding on our part

Yes, as with many things "martial arts" western practitioners like to make things mystical that are really pretty simple and pragmatic.

Sensei - teacher, one who is senior or has achieved a level of proficiency (grade school teacher, pastor, tutor, whatever).

Shihan or Hanshi - master, one who has deeper understanding... think professor, or "master plumber", or "MBA".... that's all, no magic, it's not an expression of worship.