master rank

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess in order to have a solid answer, everyone would have to agree on what a Master is. I have trained folks who just earned their "master belt" in some style and wanted me to call them Master...I smiled and called them by their first name. I have heard of Eternal Grand Master...beat that one! Where I train, one is a student until one can enter the Menkyo training system wherein they are trained to be Assistant Instructor, Instructor, Trainer, etc...it has nothing to do with mastery of technique but rather mastery of teaching methods...don't take this the wrong way...you gotta be good at what you do!

Er… and what exactly do you train in then?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How many of you are old enough to remember Master Po?

And Master Kan

khan.jpg

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
master rank is usually 5 th degree black at least that what I thought .
Huh, well call me master then, but I don't think I am, nor do I think anyone else I know at 5th Dan would say that of themselves either.

In KMA often times they toss around Master (and to such arts [of which I was involved for ~25 years] but it is different depending on association, for example in ITF/WTF circles often they allow 4th degree black belts to call themselves master.... but I and my guys did not, though the guys who opened schools to try to make a living did and I do not blame them. Marketing.

In the other association I ran with, it was a 6th degree thing, and the association totally controlled the award of the title (again, marketing and self-promotion of the brand is/was involved). You got to 6th degree,... and THEN you had to have so many students being promoted under you to qualify for the "master" tag.

Personally, I could give a hoot (meaning, nothing)for the title... especially since, in my own viewpoint, I keep finding new nd awesome things about which I don't know a thing about and whih I think are cool and which I want to learn. Even after 40 years.

Latest Discussions