MA's for Kids with ADHD

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got a very good friend who has a teenager who has been diagnosed with ADHD. His doctor has suggested that martial arts might be a great form of therapy for his daughter to help instill attentiveness, self-assuredness and to help with any left over anger issues. Knowing that I play around in MA, he asked me what I thought would be a good MA for his daughter. For the first time in a long time, I was kind of speechless...I really don't know how to answer him.

My first thought was it really doesn't matter what art, as long as his daughter likes it enough to stick with it. But after thinking it over more, I am seeking guidance on this one.

Do any of you have children with ADD/ADHD, or know of a friend who does? What are your thoughts on this. Would one martial art be better suited than any other to help deal with this?

I'm really looking for advice on this one. This is a good friend and his daughter is close to me.

Humbly yours,
Yeti

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's not the art - it's the instructor. You need to find an instructor who understands the girl's personality and needs, and who is experienced with teaching her age group. I have a student who is ADD in my TKD class, and it's never been a problem - but I'm a special education teacher as well, and I'm used to kids with ADD; they need a lot of variety, frequent changes in activity, and consistent, consistently enforced expectations.

An instructor who is accustomed to highly motivated adults is not going to be the best instructor for this young lady, no matter how interested she is in the particular art. An instructor who expects quick obedience and conformity is not going to be a good fit either.

You might also check these threads:

Training Children with ADHD/ADD?
kids in class
What age to begin lessons
Resources for Beginners
Choosing a school

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, As more people add to this questions about ADHD...you will find most will say martials arts training is a very good thing for them.

Many do not stay for years, some just for months or shorter..but later the parents let us know, they saw good changes in their kids.

Just make sure the Sensi/Instructors are inform, and all the other students are aware too. NOT to cause too much distractions...when others are aware too.

Patience and lots of special attention is needed more for these students.
It has been proven to help them alot,and in all areas of their lives too.

The best thing is to let them take a few classes and work from there...

Aloha (an opinion here)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have ADD. Trust me, it's a myth. Unless finding boring things boring is a medical condition...

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My instructor has a young boy with ADHD that trains with him. And his parents have told him that they have seen a major change in him. I agree with what has been said that it is not so much the art but the instructor that needs to be considered. Kids with ADHD generally need more one on one attention and at that an instructor with the patience of a saint.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree 100% with the aspect of the Instructor over the art. Speaking as an Adult (the wife would wrgue that though :))that has ADD it is difficult to maintain focus for long periods of time so a dry Instructor even if they were the most talented Martial Artist would be a trial. That is with ADD not ADHD which if I understand things correctly wouold be like ADD on 'Roids. A dynamic, skilled Instructor, that is the art. One like Kacey who is actually trained to deal speciffically with ADHD would be a God-send for her. Have the parent ask questions, it may suprise you how many Instructors have training in dealing with kids and special needs kids in particular.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone is dead on here. I completely agree - it is the instructor, not the art.

I can share some experiences I've had with a kid in our classes. The biggest impact that I have noticed is to maintain discipline with the child. They will want to look around and continue moving, some of that can't be helped, but I have found that if I get down on his level and have him look me in the eyes, he will stop, calm down, and pay attention to me.

The other problem that I have found is that he has temper and control issues. I'm by no means an expert in special needs kids, so I don't know if this is standard or not, but when we spar or do close quarters activities, we have to keep a close eye on him. I would suggest that you find a school that has a robust staff - at least enough senior students who attend the class to keep an eye on things. If that is even a problem.

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
As the father of 3 ADHD boys ranging in age from 4 to 15, I will say
that all of my boys have benefitted from martial training. I have ADD
so I know where they are coming from. I also teach a handful of ADHD
kids. one trick I like to use is, I'll do a short set of waza then have them
give me 2 laps around the dojo. I'll do this until they are tired enough to
take directions. I also interlace a few fun exercises and allow them
to have some down time like punching bubbles. Mind you, this is for
very young kids. My oldest started at 7 with a very traditional teacher
and he did very well.

Just my 2 cents...

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My oldest son has ADHD. He has trained with me in Shotokan and it didnt work out too well with the rigid lining up and discipline he was a great disruption to his class.

The same with TKD and Ninjitsu. These were all tried for various periods of time and he had a few good runs in TKD.

Now he is 14 and training with me in Kempo. I am not biased towards my current system but I have found that the hands on approach and continuous partner work has been more beneficial to my son than systems that are more individualistic. When you are working in groups of 2 or 3 partners who are continuously working, there is less time to let you mind wander and you focus more on what you are doing.

He is rarely a disruption to the class and It seems his confidence and focus have been improving.

This may not be the case with all ADHD children but its been 6 months for him and he still dosen't want to quit. The great part is that I get to train with my son again and not parent while on the mat. He is just another student.

I can't wait for my youngest to join in.

-Marc-

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My oldest son has ADHD. He has trained with me in Shotokan and it didnt work out too well with the rigid lining up and discipline he was a great disruption to his class.

The same with TKD and Ninjitsu. These were all tried for various periods of time and he had a few good runs in TKD.

Now he is 14 and training with me in Kempo. I am not biased towards my current system but I have found that the hands on approach and continuous partner work has been more beneficial to my son than systems that are more individualistic. When you are working in groups of 2 or 3 partners who are continuously working, there is less time to let you mind wander and you focus more on what you are doing.

He is rarely a disruption to the class and It seems his confidence and focus have been improving.

This may not be the case with all ADHD children but its been 6 months for him and he still dosen't want to quit. The great part is that I get to train with my son again and not parent while on the mat. He is just another student.

I can't wait for my youngest to join in.

-Marc-
Let me use this post to start...

I disagree with those who say that all that matters in using martial arts to help with ADD, Emotionally Disturbed, or other people ('cause it's not merely kids!) with problems. In the end, the instructor is a vital component, and will make the difference between success an failure -- but the art needs to be considered, as well.

Some arts are inherently so rigid (think koryu karate) that someone with a low tolerance for imposed discipline and structure will have problems. Other arts are so loose and unstructured that they won't help (like many MMA programs). Similarly, if the techniques are too complicated too quickly, the student will quickly become frustrated with their lack of progress within their attention span -- but if they can be broken down into small enough chunks to be digestable, they can be very rewarding.

ED and anger control issues (or other problems) also require very careful handling; the last thing you want to do is hand seriously dangerous techniques to someone who's going to fly off the handle and hurt someone. But -- if that rage and energy can be directed... Well, some of the greatest boxers and athletes show how well that can work!

In evaluating a particular school for a particular student, it's really the same old question. Does the style and the instruction fit that student's interests, patience, and inherent ability? Special concerns like ADHD/ADD just add another concern, just like food allergies add another issue to deciding what restaurant to eat at.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Let me use this post to start...

I disagree with those who say that all that matters in using martial arts to help with ADD, Emotionally Disturbed, or other people ('cause it's not merely kids!) with problems. In the end, the instructor is a vital component, and will make the difference between success an failure -- but the art needs to be considered, as well.

Agreed. I never stated anything to the contrary, only my own experience with my son.

Some arts are inherently so rigid (think koryu karate) that someone with a low tolerance for imposed discipline and structure will have problems. Other arts are so loose and unstructured that they won't help (like many MMA programs). Similarly, if the techniques are too complicated too quickly, the student will quickly become frustrated with their lack of progress within their attention span -- but if they can be broken down into small enough chunks to be digestable, they can be very rewarding.

Also true to an extent. IMO, any art is learnable if broken down and taught effectively.

ED and anger control issues (or other problems) also require very careful handling; the last thing you want to do is hand seriously dangerous techniques to someone who's going to fly off the handle and hurt someone.

This is a very important issue. Parents must be upfront with instructors about their childrens conditions. It is up to all to teach them slowly and carefully and only give them what they can handle.

But -- if that rage and energy can be directed... Well, some of the greatest boxers and athletes show how well that can work!

It all starts with a first step. There will be many.

In evaluating a particular school for a particular student, it's really the same old question. Does the style and the instruction fit that student's interests, patience, and inherent ability? Special concerns like ADHD/ADD just add another concern, just like food allergies add another issue to deciding what restaurant to eat at.

The search for the proper school can be long and frustrating but I found it to be worth it.

-Marc-

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
oh where to start...

1. - YES YES YES - the instructor will make all the difference - AMEN

2a. I am both special education teacher and an adult with ADD, so I have a little knowledge here.

2b. traditional striking martial arts have a physiological benefit for ADHD children / adults - if the motions are practiced slowly, they form neural connections in the brain that actually help those with ADHD control their MINDS. If they practiced quickly, they develop motor / muscle memory helping them to control their bodies. This has to do with the left / right and top / bottom axis of the human body. This research first found it's way to me from my work with autism and Aspergers, but the research bears out that ADHD children greatly benefit from this type of neural development.

2c. On a purely personal note - Martial Arts made a HUGE difference in my life, my ADD, and my ability to concentrate.

3. Understand that there are three primary types of ADHD:

Inattentive
Impulsive
Combo of the two

Different training regimens will work better with different types and that just getting them exhausted will NOT necessarily fix the problem and allow them to train. A good instructor will have a working understanding of ADHD, or will be willing to get one from listening to you, the parent. They will break up the lesson into chunks of manageable activities and always look for the "hyperfocus" ability to show up. This hyperfocus is an occurance that any parent of an ADHD child can attest to - the child can't get his book bag open without three or four interruptions, but he can play a video game for 4 hours without getting up from the floor - hyperfocus.

A student may become so involved with a form or technique that he / she begins to hyperfocus on it --- YIPEE!!!!

4. In my personal experience teaching ADHD students, it is a Disciplined environment that promotes the best learning and growth. For all of these reasons, I recommend a class at a school that practices a striking art in a relatively traditional setting (as opposed to MMA, Muay Thai, etc.).

JMHO

Latest Discussions