Young Man Needs Help

R

Rusty

I originally joined this because my 11 year old daughter got me involved with the Tang Soo Do program at the local Boys and Girls Club. As a result, I have become the Mom who raises money for the program and helps out during the tournaments in various ways, including tossing sparring equipment on up to six children, various ages, and belts. I have never missed a single one of her classes, and help her practice almost every night. (I studied Kenpo as a child but haven't been involved in 30 years.)

I usually visit the Tang Soo Do discussions to get a better understanding of what my child is so involved in.

A friend of mine's 28 year old son was recently in a severe traffic accident and is losing his eye. He is concerned that he won't be able to defend himself, and his self-confidence and self-esteem are very shaken right now. She e-mailed me and asked me to look into the styles of martial arts to get her son involved in. She has seen the difference that it has made in my 11 year old daughter who suffers from ADD, low-self esteem and anger issues. (My child is like a different person.)

Any suggestions?

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
interesting situation.........

I don't really have experience with training ppl with this sort of challenge mind, but if it helps the guy out, I have definately seen some extremley impressive deaf / mute and otherwise specific needed practioners ranging from those in wheel chairs to not having various limbs or partial of both missing.

I think I'll leave it to those who have trained or have experience with this particular consideration, but regardless of what he trains, some training is going to assist him a whole lot more than none at all.

Love your work and good luck to both of you.

Blooming Lotus

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your friend's son. Maybe you should give us what type of styles are located in his area. There have been many people with different types of handicap's that have studied various arts. I know of a gentleman who lost both eyes in Vietnam, that teaches a Close Quarter Combat system. Hasn't stop him from learning.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sister is blind in one eye, has been for some time. The only thing lacking is peripheral vision. We even had one blind student, an older woman, who tested for yellow belt recently. I noticed she wasn't nervous, since she didin't really know how many "eyes" were looking at her.;)

I would think working on balance, and visual awareness would help. Forms, katas, poomse are great for that, and from that also gain strength and agility. TKD is more sport-minded, goal oriented, but personally I just practice the art, ie. forms, technique, teaching, although I have been in tournaments. Other arts, like Kenpo, Hapkido are more self defense oriented. Others in those can tell you more about them. Martial arts are great in that they can last a lifetime, and as others have said, give self esteem, exercise for well-being, and well as a myriad of skills to deal with life. Ask him if he wants to try, then its one step at a time. TW

OP
R

Rusty

I have no idea what schools are available in his area. He lives in Jacksonville, Florida and I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico (the power of the internet). I used to be on the Board of Directors for a non-profit here in the state (14 years) that built a recreational program for developmentally disabled children, i.e., skiing, horseback riding, rock climbing, rafting, baseball, basketball, etc. We did a brief program with Tae Kwon Do school, for about six months, before the instructor moved his school to Albuquerque. But none of the children where physically disabled - and though my other daughter, who is autistic attended - and did in fact learn, I am afraid that I didn't give it the same level of interest that I currently give my 11 year old's TSO program.

I would assume the young man would need something that would focus on the inner well being and building his self confidence in his ability to protect himself - since according to his mother, he thinks he can't defend himself anymore. He is not particularly the type who would go looking for a fight (I have known him since he was 4 months old.)

The Tae Kwon Do schools appear to be just about everywhere. What is their philosophy?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would reccommend something that trains tactile response and sensitivity, like wing chun or other forms of kung fu, somewhere where he can do sensitivity drills like chi sao. These drills have enhanced my sensitivity to the point where I am reasonably proficient blindfolded if I am able to keep contact with my opponent. This may limit the "disability" feeling that your friend is experiencing being short an eye.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rusty said:
I originally joined this because my 11 year old daughter got me involved with the Tang Soo Do program at the local Boys and Girls Club. As a result, I have become the Mom who raises money for the program and helps out during the tournaments in various ways, including tossing sparring equipment on up to six children, various ages, and belts. I have never missed a single one of her classes, and help her practice almost every night. (I studied Kenpo as a child but haven't been involved in 30 years.)

I usually visit the Tang Soo Do discussions to get a better understanding of what my child is so involved in.

A friend of mine's 28 year old son was recently in a severe traffic accident and is losing his eye. He is concerned that he won't be able to defend himself, and his self-confidence and self-esteem are very shaken right now. She e-mailed me and asked me to look into the styles of martial arts to get her son involved in. She has seen the difference that it has made in my 11 year old daughter who suffers from ADD, low-self esteem and anger issues. (My child is like a different person.)

Any suggestions?

A student of ours in the past, had a girlfriend who was blind. We ended up doing a self defense calsses for the her and her friends that were blind. It is really wierd how much they can feel through their touch and can follow the body and work well with people while they were in contact. The only issue was making the first contact.

I have also know guys who have bad eyes and cannot see without glasses other than large objects and they do ok also.

Both off these examples will not turn out a world class fighter, yet they were able to do well in self defense situations.

:asian:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
The danger of a percussive style is that he might sustain injury to his good eye. Eye protection might be called for during certain situations. Years ago when Century came out with the first cage helmets we had a boy in similar straits wear one when sparring. He was one of about four kids who I've taught in the last fifteen years who was blind in one eye...and the only one to actually go so far as to spar.

BJJ was mentioned earlier. If available, this would be a great art for the kid. I think any art would be okay provided the instructor was top quality. BJJ has that tactile component to it that might make it more appealing to the kid. Eyesight and depth perception aren't that critical in grappling.

Note that one eye missing is a disability...but certainly not complete. It'll mess up the kid's depth perception, field of vision, and confidence. Any instructor worth his salt should look at this as a challenge, take the boy on, and help him adapt.

If your friend finds a good instructor, she needs to do one thing...KEEP THE BOY IN TRAINING. Like any other kids he'll want to blow off practice in favor of his Gamecube. If he's lacking confidence because of the eye, this will be compounded.

Regards,

Steve

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our system of Universal kempo-karate we do not limit any handi-cap person from training. We try to accommodate each person. We have a legal blind, 2nd degree black belt person. He is a school teacher, and a great wrestler too. As you know we have kicking, punching,weapons,phyical and kata's requirements to meet, and he has pass them all. the only limits there is? is the one whe put on our selves! Speed kills...that why there is speed limits....limit you speed.....and your life will have no limits....Aloha

OP
R

Rusty

Thanks to everyone!

I found a place down the street from where his parents live that teaches Wing Chun. His mother and I spoke on Sunday, and as soon as her son is able, not for about three months though, he is going to start taking lessons there.

OP
S

speedbag

The secret may lie on two fronts. First, the attitudes, prejudices, insights and understanding about the disabled in general by any instructor(s), and second, their ability to adapt their art and teaching techniques to allow a disabled individual to participate safely and advance, while feeling wanted and accepted.

Perhaps these links may help.

International Disabled Self-Defense Association.
http://www.defenseability.com

Martial Arts Therapy
http://www.martialarts-therapy.com/qvart.html

Judo for the Blind
http://judoinfo.com/usaba.htm

Cerebral Palsy
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/health/081902_hs_cerebralpalsy.html

Cerebral Palsy and Japanese Karate.
http://www.japankarate.net/content/denise.php

Karate and Hemiplegia
http://www.chasa.org/karate.htm

West coast Karate and people with disabilities
http://westcoastsportkarate.com/train.htm

Amer. M.A. Assoc of the Deaf
http://www.amaad.com/front.html

Martial Art festival for the disabled. ( read the whole article)
http://kirkhamsmartialarts.tripod.com/martialarts_ezine7199.htm

...and for the M.A. instructors who want to may not want to accept the disabled into their school or classes, review this:
http://classweb.gmu.edu/jkozlows/ceu58.html

Disability sports in general.
http://www.disabilityview.co.uk/sports.shtml

Hope some of these help

Speed Bag
http://www.speedbagcentral.com/Home.html

OP
P

pakua

Like any other kids he'll want to blow off practice in favor of his Gamecube

..... He's 28, Steve!

I was going to suggest Tai Chi.

My Dad's had no sight in one eye for about 35 years- the biggest hassle for him has always been the lack of depth perception. I guess in MA that (coupled with the peripheral vision problem) might cause a few problems, either landing blows by mistake, or walking into others' blows.

I'd agree that anything which might risk the other eye should be avoided where possible. (Hey- why have we got 2 kidneys and 2 lungs and can live on 1, but only 1 heart and 1 brain.......)

OP
R

Rusty

I will let him know about the Tai Chi options also. Actually I think I might take a few minutes between stuffing turkeys and stuffing myself this weekend to look at both styles. Also I appreciate the DD links, since I still have strong ties in the developmentally disabled community here in Santa Fe.

Also, for anyone who has a child with ADD (which is my daughter), I highly recommend that they be put into some form of martial arts training. My daughter uses her katas as a way to practice focus. Her instructor is aware of her problem and works with her also. The results have been so amazing, that her school has recommended to other parents that they look into this. Her self esteem has risen considerablly and she has a whole new outlook on what she can accomplish in life.

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest to find one of the TKD schools in Jackson and have him try it out, or even try a handful of schools out to see which one he connects with. I started in the MA when I was a Boy of 12 yrs, I stayed with it for a few years but had to give it up and go to work to help the family out. I decided to get back into TKD in 1990, I started from a white belt again. In 1997 I was a mechanic at a factory and a piece of equipment I was working on malfunctioned, I lost my right eye in that accident, after not being able to do anything but sit on a couch for 4 months I started my traing again ....Very slowly...I was very depressed about the fact that I could not see on my right side, My balance was off and my depth perception was very bad what looked to be only about 12" away was actually about 4 ft away, I was in sad shape. I started back by doing poomse (Forms) then after about a month of that to help regain balance and working on my new blind side I started kicking the heavy bag again and doing light sparring with in 6 months I was back on top of my game. Am I as good as I once was ..NOWAY! but I'm at about 97% and improving. In 1997 I had just made 2nd BB now in 2005 I'm getting ready to conquer My 4th degree. You just have to keep trying and not give up.

I hope this helps Your friends Son.
KIK

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yet another thread that slipped past me. Kik, inspiring! Welcome to MT.

We all have obstacles - the question is what are we willing to do to work around them?

OP
M

marshallbd

hardheadjarhead said:
If your friend finds a good instructor, she needs to do one thing...KEEP THE BOY IN TRAINING. Like any other kids he'll want to blow off practice in favor of his Gamecube. If he's lacking confidence because of the eye, this will be compounded.

Regards,

Steve
Didn't she say he is in his late 20's? :asian:

OP
T

The Prof

The loss of an eye creates a blind spot but does not dim the senses. I am sure that the medical people and other people with use of only one eye will verify that the body has a natural way to compensate for what is lost.

The Prof

Rusty said:

Any suggestions?

Latest Discussions