What age to begin lessons

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't take students under the age of ten, regardless of medical conditions. You have to look at the big picture and ask what the school is teaching. If they are teaching kicks and playing games a lot, it would be a good place for a young child. If the school is teaching wrist locks, arm breaks, and takedowns (like mine), do you really want a five year old learning that?
AoG

I have to disagree on this one. Classes should be kept age-appropriate, but can definitely be way more than babysitting. This is where the foundation can be laid, and if done right, will mean excellent technique as the child matures and an abiding love for the martial arts.

Our school teaches from 6 years old up (they also have a program for 4-6 year olds, but that one is more a primer... teaches listening skills, etc. through storytelling and role-playing with the kids). The classes for the 6 year olds have much of the same course material as those for the 12 year olds and the 37 year olds (like me), but the emphasis, approach, and manner of teaching differs from class to class. We have several people who have been in the program since they were 4-6 years old, and they are great technicians who make those of us who started significantly later in life look stiff and graceless by comparison.

It is also easier on the philosophy side (if your school is into that sort of thing). Starting early on some of the simpler concepts can be beneficial, as kids don't have nearly as many preconceived notions and other mental "baggage" hanging around as adults do. It can also help refine the child's own moral compass simply by talking about whether different things are right or wrong, etc.

My two daughters and I all train at the same club, which makes it easier to discuss different ideas. I can also help them through technique problems when they arise. In return, they're a great motivator for me to stay active in the program. Working out well so far at least...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I start students at age 7 just because by then most of them have a good sense of Right & Left.

In my time, I've seen 4 year old that could memorize any form I showed them & repeat it. And I've had 15 year olds that have grown so much in recent months they trip over everything.

There is no magic age where they "get it." I chose 7 because they generally come equipped with a basic understanding at that age.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As someone who has been diagnosed with ADHD and is now too close to 40 for comfort, let me help you out with a few things as far as treatment goes and hopefully help you out.

Some of the drugs are helpful, but in my day it was good old Ritalin (head on a post)...which I will admit slowed me down, but to the bad end of that spectrum. What finally occured to get me off the drugs & into sanity was that I finally broke away from SUGAR. Diet is more key than anyone (especially doctors) want to admit in treatment of ADHD. Sugar on a person with ADHD acts like an alcohol & speed combo would to a normal person.

If you control the sugar, you will see a drastic change. The headache in dealing with sugar is the amount of time kids spend eating it every chance they get. You have to get the parents (both) and the kid to watch their sugar intake closely...this includes natural sugars as well as what's in the foods they eat. If you want to see a great example of this, this summer you & the kid need about 6 weeks on a strict diabetic-style diet...the greatest effect will be in the 4-6'th weeks...you'll REALLY notice a change if the diet has been kept. NOTE that any cheating puts one back to start...this is the downside.

As far as martial arts...consider Tai Chi. The movements are fun for kids and entertaining..but most of all SLOW and teach body control & focus...which are darned important things for ADHD persons. Tai Chi worked wonders for my skills in paying attention and slowing down my mind as well as my body. God knows we need the help on that ;)

At what age do you permit a child to carry a weapon? Because the martial arts is just that, a weapon. A skill set that can cause injury, sometimes serious, to others. There is a maturity level that needs to be reached before studying. There are several things to consider when the child wants to be Jackie Chan.
When I was 12 I fought a kid who claimed to have a black belt in Ishin-ryu Karate. I beat him up. He got beat on quite a bit. Why? (Other than him coming to school and bragging about the things he learned in Karate class.) His instructor gave him a false sense of courage. When he should have been running for his life he stood there saying “I know Karate”. What would have become of this child if I was trying to abduct him? I’ve said this before I will say it again “if an adult wants a child to get into a car they will get them no matter how much Karate they know”. This falls back on the instructor. The teacher should be teaching them how to run screaming for their lives, getting away from the bad guys, not standing there trying to fend a perp. off with a pressure point or a back wheel kick they learned the night before. I’ve only seen one school that taught kids to recognize dangerous situations and run away . That needs to be a foundation for them, and then the teaching of basic motions can be taught no matter what age they are.

Look at your child, no one here can judge your child better than you. You will see when he is ready to commit to this.

As far as ADHD goes, I agree with Shrek about diet and sugar.

My son takes Stratera. My daughter is on Conserta. I’m on Stratera myself. For all you medicine nay-sayers. If you have Diabetes you take your insulin, if you have a head ache you take an aspirin, if you are depressed you take an anti depressant, and if you’re a Psychotic sycophantic …I pray you take your medicine. ADHD is no different. Yes, martial arts help tremendously, but meds are the biggest help. If your kid is a “post with a head” then try a different medication or a different dosage or both. There is a plethora of meds out there now. I even took Wellbutrine for ADHD for a while but It wasn’t the right one for me. Ritalin although good isn’t the only thing available.
The key I’ve found with dealing with ADHD kids is they need reassurance and security. If you like them they will try their best for you, but because of lack of patience, knowledge, and preconceived stereotypes it is hard for people to like these children. They have to feel liked by their instructor. As a parent of three wonderful children I find that ADHD children are very amazing. They pick up on things quickly and they tend to be very loyal to the thing they love doing. Maybe I’m just speaking for my children but they have shown great commitment to what they do. ADHD people will become hyper focused on things they enjoy and won’t settle for second best. The trick is finding what they love. With the right instructor a preteen could become their best student.

Maybe this ADHD subject needs to be in a new thread?

Just my 2 ¥

shrek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At what age do you permit a child to carry a weapon? Because the martial arts is just that, a weapon. A skill set that can cause injury, sometimes serious, to others. There is a maturity level that needs to be reached before studying.
Just my 2 ¥

Age is an issue, but so is whatever is going on around them. My father started training me in martial arts at age 3 because he worked for a Gov't agency and was rather into worst-case scenarios...but since we won the Cold War, it turned out ok. This early experience with discpline helped me to deal with military life for myself...and in life, personal discipline is VERY helpful. As a long-time firefighter, the discipline and ability to take orders kept me safe and healthy in situations where questioning an order could have gotten someone injued/killed.

I'm teaching my 8 yr old carefully...heavy on defense tactics...with a lot of discussions on WHEN it's proper to strike someone else. These days with so many child molesters running about...revolving door justice...I'd rather have my kid at last somewhat competent to do some damage and run like heck than have them totaly helpless against a molester.

Latest Discussions