Martial Arts Tournament Turns to Brawling

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn't believe the Sun, it's known for blatantly lying. I doubt it was anything more than a few tempers flying.
The Sun - Tabloid Lies

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well they did say four people were arrested, so perhaps a bit more than just a frayed temper or two.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't make the video in the article play, but the pictures certainly point to more than a bit of a ruffled feathers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Four arrests are nothing, also it doesn't say they were charged only arrested, so I doubt it was anything much. I don't think the Brits were sore losers as it seems it was the Italians that lost.
This is the Sun dated today on mass carnage in New Orleans. One dead and nine wounded including two women in mass shooting in New Orleans
This is the BBC's report of the same story. New Orleans shooting on Bourbon Street leaves one dead and nine injured - BBC News
The wife and I actually went to NOLA the first week of this month as we have friends that live there. During our first day we walked up there but what were we told...

"Other than Lafitte's, there is nothing but tourist trap stuff on Bourbon and 3 blocks further up it gets really sketchy."

All the good food and drink is between Bourbon and the river

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I actually went to NOLA the first week of this month as we have friends that live there. During our first day we walked up there but what were we told...

"Other than Lafitte's, there is nothing but tourist trap stuff on Bourbon and 3 blocks further up it gets really sketchy."

All the good food and drink is between Bourbon and the river

My daughter and her husband went to New Orleans on their trip to the US a couple of years ago, they also went to Florida where they have friends and to New York. My son in law goes to the States taking race horses there to run quite often usually to Kentucky.

More on The Sun. https://medium.com/mosquito-ridge/a-readers-guide-to-****-the-sun-writes-f5778a6a3ab8#.6jyz93b19

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I competed in a few tourneys back in the seventies that turned into brawls. Some pretty good ones, too.

And one near brawl - On time I competed and got into a couple nasty matches that I won. The folks I fought were nothing much more than hoodlums. I was by myself, and afterwards I was suddenly surrounded in the parking lot - about to get a serious beating. And all of a sudden, the people surrounding me, who were moving in - found themselves surrounded by Kali Kano Griffith and his entire Kajukenbo/Parker Kempo dojo (about sixty of them) who moved in quelled the problem with no violence.

They became like a sister school to me and mine from that day forward.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughter and her husband went to New Orleans on their trip to the US a couple of years ago, they also went to Florida where they have friends and to New York. My son in law goes to the States taking race horses there to run quite often usually to Kentucky.

More on The Sun. https://medium.com/mosquito-ridge/a-readers-guide-to-****-the-sun-writes-f5778a6a3ab8#.6jyz93b19
So the Sun is the love child of the National Enquirer and Breitbart?

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can't make the video in the article play, but the pictures certainly point to more than a bit of a ruffled feathers.

Looks to me like a large crowd of people trying to break up a lil' sock up between 4/5 others?
'Mass Brawl' is an exaggeration for sure.

Imo if I was gonna start fisticuffs I would NOT want to start it at a martial arts tourney ~.~

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

If you ever accompany your son in law to Kentucky, you should stop in and visit. I'd love to meet you in person and you'd be a welcome guest at our gym.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The video didn't look like a brawl to me. It looked more like a "Hold me back" tournament where the goal was to see how many people could hold one guy back.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now THAT is a mess. I didn't watch the whole thing...a gang shootout in Australia? Does that happen? (I live in the US, and I thought we had a lock on that for the English-speaking world.)

Biker gangs have the money and the connections to get guns and use them.

Mostly they are pretty stable. More like the mafia. But their lives are also a soap opera. So somone says something nasty about their harley or something and they get all emotional. And then they have to bash or shoot someone.

The issue became that they were getting so scrappy that they started recruiting muscle. Who were not so stable. And this sort of junk happened too much. So they are basically banned as an organisation now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now THAT is a mess. I didn't watch the whole thing...a gang shootout in Australia? Does that happen? (I live in the US, and I thought we had a lock on that for the English-speaking world.)

Biker gangs have the money and the connections to get guns and use them.

Mostly they are pretty stable. More like the mafia. But their lives are also a soap opera. So somone says something nasty about their harley or something and they get all emotional. And then they have to bash or shoot someone.

The issue became that they were getting so scrappy that they started recruiting muscle. Who were not so stable. And this sort of junk happened too much. So they are basically banned as an organisation now.

Latest Discussions