Martial Arts Survey

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done, is fairly quick survey. Will you post your outcomes back here when complete?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

OP
J

johnny_hendricks

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all very much, as soon as we get the results, i will post them. I believe they will do some good in taking away the stigma of aggression in martial arts students.

FrontKick-Jab-Punch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Super interested in your findings. Things to consider for a future study (or your discussion section) are the effects of trait-level aggressiveness (e.g., a before-after intervention, or perhaps holding trait aggression constant while examining the independent effect of martial arts training), the style of art (soft/hard; traditional/sport-oriented), and the philosophy of one's instructor (philosophical/meditative vs. Kobra Kai style, lol). Please let me know if this turns into a poster or a publication! Interesting idea.

Best,

FKJP

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The before-after starting martial arts training is something I've seen anecdotally for years. Many parents bring start their children in our classes because of their aggression issues, anxiety, ADD, etc.. . After years of practice, their personality has changed to a degree. They are more focused, more disciplined, and exercise more self-control. This translates into better grades in school, as well as less "trouble."

I personally cannot vouch for how it has "changed" my life the better in this respect, as I started when I was 5 years old. However, I have seen this happen over the years 100's if not 1000's of times for others.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all very much, as soon as we get the results, i will post them. I believe they will do some good in taking away the stigma of aggression in martial arts students.

Is this stigma a regional thing? I've never actually encountered this stigma in general before.

OP
J

johnny_hendricks

White Belt
Reaction score
I think it is a stigma more so associated with people who are completely set away from martial arts. (putting it not so nicely, ignorant people) Also, it seems to be a reoccuring stigma in some parents of potential martial arts students. We are looking into some previous research on the philosophy of the instruction, but due to a time crunch, we couldn't include it in the survey.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took it. I would like to have taken that one 20 years ago and then again today to see how different it would be.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I wonder how much value the belt ranking adds. With so much variance between styles, the length of time training would seem more relevant than arbitrary ranking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Take out the belt rank question and it was a lot like a Psych exam one takes when applying for a job as an LEO in some areas of NH.

But in one of those there was the question "Do you ever wake up feeling evil"... no lie it was one of the questions on a LEO psych test

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But in one of those there was the question "Do you ever wake up feeling evil"... /QUOTE]

well....do you?

I will give you the same answer I wrote on the test.... no

Now I will give you the answer I gave the LEOs I knew at the time after I told them about it... of course, why else would I be applying for this job :EG:

as for which one is the real answer...I'll never tell :EG:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A suggestion... It might be a good idea to inquire about professions with this. I guarantee that some of my answers were shaped by my professional experience as a cop. "Do you get into fights more than most?" Uh, yeah... "Do you become suspicious of people who are overly friendly?" Yeah. "Do you threaten people?" Yeppers...

That -- or I'd be interested to see the results of this test compared with profession...

Latest Discussions