Martial Arts Scholarships?

Drakanyst

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any martial arts scholarships? I've seen the one posted by the BLF [Bruce Lee Foundation]. While it is vague on the qualifications on the site, there seems to be little else aside from miscellaneous martial arts organizations [of which you have to be a member of]. Any input is appreciated.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing that I can think, and it is not much, but did see a program a few years ago regarding Kung Fu in mainland China (I think). There was a temple that decided to garner income by offering residential courses to foriegn people that were willing to pay. Obviously more than that being the willingness to follow the traditions kept. Did not have to be devout in religeon, but had to follow and observe the cultrual rules. If that is the best way to term it. Anyway, good luck.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for college scholarships, or programs to support your study of the martial arts?

OP
Drakanyst

Drakanyst

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I am looking both as a general concept for martial arts study [to help my students] and for myself. I plan on transfering to a university back in the States and I'm going to be broke broke broke when I get there, haha.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I am looking both as a general concept for martial arts study [to help my students] and for myself. I plan on transfering to a university back in the States and I'm going to be broke broke broke when I get there, haha.
I'm sorry; I'm still confused what you're looking for.

If you're looking for money for university -- there are some scholarships for martial arts available, as noted above. Most are probably going to be within a specific organization or association, and probably competitively awarded. In some cases, that might mean winning a particular tournament series, but in general, it'll mean submitting an application as a member, and making the case that you deserve that money more than anyone else. I doubt that you'll find a lot of big scholarships for martial arts without getting pretty creative.

If you're looking for money to support your martial arts studies... Well, actually, it's pretty much the same answer. Some schools might offer you a position as an instructor... which might actually pay you something, or be an exchange for your own ongoing training. In other words, you teach some classes, and you get to take others.

Good luck!

OP
Drakanyst

Drakanyst

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As far as scholarships I want to personally apply to, none are quite accurate. I am looking for scholarships that go to general university expense.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as scholarships I want to personally apply to, none are quite accurate. I am looking for scholarships that go to general university expense.

You mean like a bursary type thing. You apply for the funding, but the Uni gets the money?

OP
Drakanyst

Drakanyst

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You mean like a bursary type thing. You apply for the funding, but the Uni gets the money?

Basically! There are tons of scholarships on generic websites for people of different nationalities, with different affiliations, and different capabilities. When you go to look for martial arts related scholarships there aren't many to choose from that I've found.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically! There are tons of scholarships on generic websites for people of different nationalities, with different affiliations, and different capabilities. When you go to look for martial arts related scholarships there aren't many to choose from that I've found.

Then may I humbly suggest that you open yourself to a different perspective.

Latest Discussions