Martial arts outside of the dojo?

G

GouRonin

Jim brought up a good point in the Kenpo section. When was the last time you used your martial arts training in any way shape or form outside the dojo? Who, what, where, why, when, how etc etc?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use palm strikes to open PC cases. Seriously, some of these Dells stick, and several light strikes works the panel off. Also works on some el-cheepo cases.

Beyond that, I haven't had a reason to use it outside of classes, knock on wood. :)

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm one of those people that uses the skill every day in some fashion. I close doors or widen doors with a knee strike and open doors with a forearm strike sliding to an elbow strike. I've no desire to flush public toilets with my hands so I use my feet. When I jog, I use the mental endurance that I developed in training to keep going even when my body is crying for me to stop. The skills that I have developed have given me confidence which I use to be more aggressive in the work place. Having to watch everything my students do to ensure they perform their technique the most efficiently has given me a very fine attention to detail which I use to ensure the quality of my product. Basically, almost everything that I do is connected to the martial arts in some way.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I often use the wide base of my horse stance when shoting pool and the shift from neutral bow to forward bow on the break. I think I use my martial arts in every facet of my life.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So far, the only time I've really used any type of martial arts training outside of the dojo or a fight, it involved my sense of balance. I've found that if I trip or slip on something, it's real easy for me to regain my balance and not fall. Also, my overall awareness level has increased, which is extremely helpful with all the horrible drivers in my town.

Cthulhu

OP
S

Shinzu

i use my awareness where ever i am. the martial arts has taught me to learn my surroundings and stay alert.

i also use my techniques when i'm breaking down boxes, or closing doors etc... i try to encorporate some sort of martial art practice in whatever i am doing :asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing I like doing is one-knuckle punches (ippon ken, phoenix-eye fist, dragon's tooth, what have you) to cardboard boxes. If you do it correctly, you'll get a nice little hole in the box, and some people may even think you did it with your fingertip if you're fast enough. If you don't, you merely dent it and look like a goof.

Note: make sure the box is empty! Trust me ;)

Cthulhu

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by GouRonin

Jim brought up a good point in the Kenpo section. When was the last time you used your martial arts training in any way shape or form outside the dojo? Who, what, where, why, when, how etc etc?

FMA:
Let's not forget the way we open packages and boxes using box cutters and pocket knives and FMA techniques.

JAPANESE:
Sweeping up around the house using the broom... as what?????

CHINESE:
Don't tell me every time you take off belt that it doesn't turn into a steel whip for a few seconds before you put it up

EVERYONE
..finger strikes on those car radio buttons

A glass or a cup is almost turned over by some one and you catch it before it spills...

Gene Gabel

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by islandtime

FMA:
Let's not forget the way we open packages and boxes using box cutters and pocket knives and FMA techniques.

OMG...I do that all the time at work and didn't even think about it until you mentioned it.

Spoooooky.

Cthulhu

OP
S

Shinzu

i think that practicing techniques in your everyday tasks keep you always thinking of new ways to use your skills. besides how are you supposed to open the door with your hands full if you didn't perform your jump spinning ax kick with a outside to inside low sweep...LOL

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

One thing I like doing is one-knuckle punches (ippon ken, phoenix-eye fist, dragon's tooth, what have you) to cardboard boxes.

When I was in high school and worked in K-mart, we used to do that with the empty boxes we had after restocking. :) I wasn't learning any martial arts at the time though so I wouldn't have thought about it in that sense, but you're right. It was kind of fun because sometimes we'd get such a good, hard shot that our whole arm would go through the box. :) We didn't get another hole on the opposite side though.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me it comes out in my movement in daily life. I'll find myself having done a pivot or turn (after the fact) which is a direct result of training. Here are couple of examples.

One time I was carrying a baby down some front porch steps and it was icy. I slipped. Being able to tell be body feel that I wasn't going to right myself, I turned and did a back roll, carrying the baby, and rolled to my feet. She didn't wake up.

Another time I was walking down a hallway reading a book. A side door opened in front of me unexpectedly. I shifted and executed a spin which took me clear of the opening door and continued walking without breaking step or stopping reading my book. I feel if you train long enough, your training will come out in everyday life.
Dan
Now if I could only get my step-daughter to stop punching me first thing in the morning. :p

OP
R

Rob_Broad

As Stated by Dan Anderson

"Now if I could only get my step-daughter to stop punching me first thing in the morning. "

Solution
Duct tape the babysitter's secret weapon!:D

OP
S

Shinzu

funny how you can perform techniques without even thinking about it. i believe this comes from much practice and focus. it is definitely a plus to be able to call on your skills when you need them the most.

OP
K

kickyou

I open cardoors with my feet as I always seem to have my hands full eith either groceries or my youngest son.It waorks on my balance

Latest Discussions