Martial Arts origin travel

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone traveled to their martial art's country of origin, and trained there? How was the experience? What were some positive and negative aspects? Did you have culture shock? I know there are going to be some interesting stories here.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi lonecoyote,

I have been to all the various countries of the various arts I have decided to take or participate in...

All of the time I was in the various countries I was in a Martial art of my own choosing USMC...We did a lot of practice and we were very well received in some and not so well received in others...

I know that is not what you are specifically asking, but quite a few of the sevicepersons who went abroad brought back and trained in a martial art of some country they saw and liked...

It is one of the great things about America and free countries, we are able to do many things that would be banned or looked down upon in other countries...

One of the reasons I have gone over to the FMA arts...many of the earliest persons to show up in new spain (Mexico thus California) were the Filipinos.

Brought to America (new spain) in Portuguese and Spanish ships and then jumped ship and survived in the Americas.... Pretty impressive...

Probably one of the most foreign countries you will find is on the Border of the USA... Mexico...I can tell you some good stories about my times in various countries...

What I came back with, when I go to foreign soil, is I am glad when I get
home... Sad the way it is, and has been for years...

Regards, Gary

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I already live in the country that the system I study originated in. I would, however, like to visit Hawaii, the homeland of the creator of the art, and China, the originators of the art.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey There,

My only experience with that is the FMA. I would have to say that it is transformational. In the US and the West there is a tendancy for many people involved in any martial art to romantacize the old country often to create a sort of unintentional fiction about where the art came from. Sometimes there is also outright fabrication and lying.

By visting the country and actually training with legitimate masters and practitioners from a long tradition still alive in that country and culture, you gain an understanding that allows you to cut through a lot of the innacuracies that may have inadvertantly been thrown into your understanding of the art you study. Going to a direct resource is invaluable. Anybody who tells you not to seek a direct source is hiding something, either from you or from themselves.

I highly suggest going and training in the country of origin. Afterwards you'll be able to sense authenticity to a greater degree and you'll grow as a martial artist. Your own authenticity will also grow.

Some people may say that it's not safe. The fact of the matter is that you are more likely to die in traffic on your way to work than you are to die during overseas travel. Take the chance and go.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Our school goes to China to see it's roots of our Kempo system. (every few years). Everyone comes back with a renewel feelings of the art. ....Aloha

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I personally have not been to Korea. Would like to someday. However, many of our students and Instructors have been to the Kukkiwon, trained with Hae Man Park, and met with Kukkiwon President Woon Kyu Uhm. I have a photo of two of our instructors receiving their 6th Dan certificates from Mr. Uhm.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had the privelege of going to Korea last Summer and attending a week-long Instructor Course attended by folks from all over the world. It has been the highlight of nearly 30 years in Taekwondo.

I found the Korean people to be overwhelmingly friendly and helpful. Korea in late July was exceptionally hot and humid (like about 100 degrees F and 95% humidity). I am looking forward to my next trip, hopefully within the next 3 years.

Training in the Kukkiwon was almost a religious experience-it was very calming and peaceful and exciting at the same time. We had the opportunity to train with the Korean Olympic and Samsung (professional Taekwondo) teams w/GM KIM, Sei Hyuk. We also saw a demonstration by the national demo team led by GM LEE, Kyu Hyun. It was fantastic!

Here's a link to the Swedish Taekwondo group's website-Daniel and Azad took many more(and better) photos than I did:

http://www.tkdakademi.se/gallery_view.php?Gallery=korea

Miles (photo #63...w/GM LEE, Chong Kwan...I'm on the far right)

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started my experience with kendo while I was living in Japan. I have yet to find a single commercial kendo school here in the States that can compare to the degree of intensity that most Japanese high schol kendo clubs engage in. Practice 6 times a day for 3-4 hours each day. Occasionally, we jump the hours up, have morning practices, or practice on Sunday. There is truly no mercy there.

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whilst studying Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu I travelled to Japan and spent a month training at the dojo's run by Hatsumi Sensie and his senior students. I enjoyed the experience and got alot from it at the time.

I know exclusively study Systema. I have travelled with this to Toronto to study with Vladimir Vasiliev and was made very welcome. It is an aexperience I would recommend to anyone.

Having made a couple of trips to Toronto I have now made a trip to Moscow to train with Michael Ryabko. Again the hospitality was remarkable and the training very challenging.
This year I intend to re-visit Toronto to train with Vladimir again.
icon7.gif

Paul Genge
www.russianmartialart.org.uk