Travelling to do martial arts!

Michael Durojaiye

White Belt
Reaction score
This will be the first time I am ever part of a forum. My love for martial arts just made me realize that I needed to be part of that community.

So my first ever question to all martial art enthusiast is:

What is your opinion on traveling to do martial arts in the country of origin?

I traveled to China to study kung fu because of depression and I needed to get out of my comfort zone.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, perhaps I could consider it as part of the reason. Explore Asia, learn Chinese, a break in life, plenty of time and money...

Just for the martial art, I don’t think so. It would be a too big effort and just for my pleasure?

OP
M

Michael Durojaiye

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, perhaps I could consider it as part of the reason. Explore Asia, learn Chinese, a break in life, plenty of time and money...

Just for the martial art, I don’t think so. It would be a too big effort and just for my pleasure?

I appreciate the reply. Those were other reasons I knew that would come with it. But my main focus was to get healthy and be somewhere where I can do that with no distractions.

D

Deleted member 39746

Traveling sucks for me. as for country of origin, you can sometimes find some things which havent branched out into the international market as much or some lesser known styles*. You might be able to see the culture associated with the style first hand however, which influences the style after all.

Quality wise there is no reason to assume its better or worse.

* best example i have on that, is a sub set of Budo styles around restraining people,. which apparently hasn't established itself outside japan as much.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
This will be the first time I am ever part of a forum. My love for martial arts just made me realize that I needed to be part of that community.

I traveled to China to study kung fu because of depression and I needed to get out of my comfort zone.
Honestly, these days you'll probably find better stuff stateside for most ma, especially CMA as China's push to supplant everything with wushu has made good 'kung fu' a bit of an albatross over there.

With that said though, I'd still like to go to HK to train with WC guys or Thailand to feel some real rib bruises.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The problem with going to China to train Kung-Fu is that you may end up finding out that many of the KF schools there are being taught by White and Black dudes. Nothing wrong with this, just that you could have gotten the same thing a couple of miles away from your house.

This is according to this White guy, who's also a fighter, that runs an MMA gym in China....so he lives there and knows the culture.

Now if you go to that mountain where the Shaolin Temple is, then that's just a huge butt, tourist trap. The training can be legit, but you're paying a high premium for it and could have gotten the same or better from your home country. You know who are the really serious, Kung-Fu aficionados? Black dudes in urban areas.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

travelling to China, seems a reasonably expensive way to treat depression,

if you have enough funds to travel and stay for an extended time. On the other side of the world, you should consider blowing it on fast cars and fast women, I've always found a cocktail of the two to be,b most efficacious for depression, as long as you don't get over attached d to either the cars or the women

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Michael. :)

I think travelling is great when you have the time and cash to do so. May all who do so be safe and have a ball.

I don't know for sure if it would be any better travelling to a country of origin, but I don't think so. Although I have done it....kind of. I train in American Karate. :)