Martial Arts is Your Life, So what's Your Hobby?

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering, if martial arts is your life, what's your hobby/hobbies? What other things do you do or are interested in? Sure we all have to work (unfortunately) or we'd all be martial art monks/nuns by now. LOL

I like to belly dance (for any woman trying to find something aerobic that you get to wear gorgeous outfits in, I HIGHLY recommend belly dance). I also like reading LOTR, Harry Potter, and martial art books. I also like play fighting with my husband, mainly the Great Beep the Nose war! Surfing the web aimlessly is fun as is talking to my many martial art friends on messenger. Some of you will pry say playing with or attending to your kids. My kid (other than my husband ofc.) is my 1 yr. old cat, whose goal in life seems to be exploring every bit of the house she can and getting into things she shouldn't. LOL

Becky

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will probably get more bad reputation for saying this again.

Please. No offense. But if martial arts is your LIFE then you should do some real hard looking at your life. In my opinion martial arts should at the most be #3 to #5 on the most important list.

But thats just my opinion.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This was part of my "20 Questions" thread and there was another thread on it too. I've been amazed at some of the things that other ppl are into. (For example, artisan bread baking. That's cool.)

I read comic books. I have been reading them for 31 years. I have about 5000. (Which will someday help pay for my kids college tuition and hopefully give them something to love too)

I play D&D. I've been doing that for 24 years. My longest campaign took 2 years to write and 3 1/2 years to play.

I like to write too but haven't written much. I wrote a script for a comic book but it needs a lot of work. I've also written a few short stories, the context of which couldn't be discussed here.

I'd like to write a serious full-length novel. I know what I want to say but not how I want to convey the message.

My main hobby for the past few months is frantically posting to multiple threads on the Martial Talk forum. That's a kick!

OP
beauty_in_the_sai

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:

Please. No offense. But if martial arts is your LIFE then you should do some real hard looking at your life. In my opinion martial arts should at the most be #3 to #5 on the most important list.

It's not number 1 in my life! My husband is! But as my husband and I do martial arts together, both our lives revolve around it. It's something we can both do together that we both enjoy immensely. Some couples don't have that, which is why they get divorced. My mom and dad are a perfect example of that. Can you imagaine a guy belly dancing? lmao

Becky

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Some couples don't have that, which is why they get divorced. My mom and dad are a perfect example of that. Can you imagaine a guy belly dancing?

I agree that it's very hard to sustain a relationship when you have nothing in common. Sometimes the only thing that sustains it is mutual responsibility, not the sharing of activities and dreams.

... and, no, I'd rather not imagine a guy belly dancing. lol (suddenly I feel a little queezy)

OP
beauty_in_the_sai

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I agree that it's very hard to sustain a relationship when you have nothing in common. Sometimes the only thing that sustains it is mutual responsibility, not the sharing of activities and dreams.

... and, no, I'd rather not imagine a guy belly dancing. lol (suddenly I feel a little queezy)

We do have mutual responsibilty. Our marriage would've failed by now if we hadn't. We both work and walk to work (saves gas and gives one excercise). I think you are always determined not to agree with me in some way, navarre. LOL Just kidding! We just always seem to share a different opinion on everything, which is ok.

Becky

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:

Nah...I think you're right, in general. I think there are situations where MA can be one's life, though.

My hobbies are reading and film. Some model making, too, I guess, though it's been a while. I also play some music. Trombone, specifically.

I play with the kids, entertain the wife and try to help my local family as I can.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to do a lot of things- I like doing things outdoors, like hiking, snow tubing, walking, and swimming. I also like to play the piano when I have the chance (I'm not the greatest at it, but I can read music and it's relaxing), I like to read, and go to movies.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
We do have mutual responsibilty. Our marriage would've failed by now if we hadn't. We both work and walk to work (saves gas and gives one excercise). I think you are always determined not to agree with me in some way, navarre. LOL Just kidding! We just always seem to share a different opinion on everything, which is ok.

We do? I hadn't noticed any difference of opinion anywhere at all.

Perhaps we just aren't communicating well. I didn't suggest that you and your husband don't share responsibility. In fact I was admiring that you shared common interests on top of that.

My statement was that many marriages aren't lucky enough to have all you do. For them they may only stay together because of the responsibility but suffer otherwise from lack of common interests.

I was actually meaning to imply a compliment toward your marriage in comparison to my own. I'm not sure why you feel we disagree on this or other things but I'm sorry you feel that to be so.

OP
beauty_in_the_sai

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just the impression I got, navvare (sorry pry didn't spell your name right). No hard feelings. The points of a martial artist thread sorta touched a nerve with my husband and I and I've felt certain people have been out to get us ever since. We haven't even looked at that forum anymore as the posts were getting increasingly insulting. Nah it's all good between us. Didn't mean to offend you.

Becky

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not offended, Becky. I'm just concerned that you mistook my remark as meaning something other than what I meant.

My only relevant comment in the "Different Points" thread was:

"Well, all I can say is one has to decide for themselves what works for them. If you feel your approach is giving you all the understanding you need of each art and allows you the opportunity to advance in The Art, then that is good."

This is my approach to most everything. As long as a person is conducting themselves in a way that is not harmful to themself or other people then they should be free to choose the path that makes them happy.

I certainly apologize if I have said anything where my intent has been mistaken. This is a perfectly fine thread, as was the other one, and I wasn't aware that anything I said was ever in disagreement with you.

But, as you say, it's all good between us. I'm glad that is so.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, and let me say again how good I think it is that you and your husband share a love for The Art.

I wish very much that I could share it with my wife. I didn't realize for difficult life would be because of that lack of sharing.

But, like you, martial arts cannot be my priority over my family. I am glad you are able to integrate both. I am envious.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to read, I play a little chess, and lately I've been involved in a project with my 8 year old daughter where we've started creating our own little world with its own pantheon of gods and goddesses. We decided the myths and fairy tales that we've been making up and telling each other need a place of their own if they're really going to come to life. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Little" theatre..Acting or directing...

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:

I still dont understand this. Martial arts is MY life, and I have no reason to think there's anything wrong with me. I wanted to take some karate lessons. I cleared out my bank account. I wanted to keep taking them. I got a job. I hated high school. I dropped out. My instructors were dissapointed in me. I got my GED and go to college. I got kinda good at karate. I wanted to compete nationally. I got another job. Now I have a decent income for a 17 year old, hold down two jobs, and am working towards a degree, keeping sane and doing it because of, martial arts. My whole entire day is spent towards the persuit of martial arts - directly or indirectly. And I'm one of the most grounded 17 year olds I know. I've examined my life, and I like it just fine.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:

I think you have mis-understood what people mean by Martial Arts being their life. The martial arts is a metaphor of life. It can be a sparring of words (word-jutsu), or sparring of thoughts (thought-jutsu). Even things that seem mundane such as having a gentle conversation with someone is still a dance of words, an interplay between two or more people. Martial arts when taken seriously provides lessons that guides our lives by giving us the ability to make decisions about how we interplay with others on every level of existence. So Martial Arts can be one's life or path but not occupy all of their time. I think you should look deeper into what they mean.

Just my thoughts.

As for my hobbies.... Which ones? The cheap ones or expensive ones? Actually the cheap ones would be easier, there are far less of them. LOL Here is a list of a few hobbies of mine in no specific order or level of importance.

Flying
Hunting
Camping
Paintball
Geocaching
Jeeping
hiking
biking
archery
Genealogy

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I wish very much that I could share it with my wife. I didn't realize for difficult life would be because of that lack of sharing.

But, like you, martial arts cannot be my priority over my family. I am glad you are able to integrate both. I am envious.
Navarre, I can sympathize with you! There is very little my wife and I have in common other than maybe camping.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sam said:
My whole entire day is spent towards the persuit of martial arts - directly or indirectly. And I'm one of the most grounded 17 year olds I know. I've examined my life, and I like it just fine.

Hi Sam,

This is probably going to sound condescending, but you are young and that allows you the time to focus on your passion. I used to have the same focus, but now that I'm older and married, martial arts has taken a distinct second to my family. I would seriously question to priorities of a person who places a hobby above the responsibilities to their family, I would call that obsession.

Lamont

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Navarre, I can sympathize with you! There is very little my wife and I have in common other than maybe camping.

Well, at least you have camping...even if you have separate tents. lol

Thanks for the empathetic gesture.

Latest Discussions