Martial Arts Insurance? (accident and liability)

cismab

White Belt
Reaction score
My school has always carried accident and liability insurance protection through the AAU. Recently one of the municipalities I teach in has informed me that the AAU coverage carried is not adequate to teach at their location.

I was curious, if you teach out of a rec center, church, community park, etc. (and not a commercial location) do you carry insurance and If so, can you recommend a good insurance company?

If you have a commercial store front location I'm going to assume you have to carry insurance per your lease... what company would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My school has always carried accident and liability insurance protection through the AAU. Recently one of the municipalities I teach in has informed me that the AAU coverage carried is not adequate to teach at their location.

I was curious, if you teach out of a rec center, church, community park, etc. (and not a commercial location) do you carry insurance and If so, can you recommend a good insurance company?

If you have a commercial store front location I'm going to assume you have to carry insurance per your lease... what company would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.
I would think it is an easy check. Find out what the rec center is looking for; limits is the most common way of looking at insurance. Auto liability coverage limits are typically written out as three numbers like 25/50/25. That means you have a $25,000 limit per person for Bodily Injury in an accident, a $50,000 total limit per accident for Bodily Injury, and a $25,000 limit per accident for Property Damage. These numbers are minimums for several states. Home owners/building coverage limits are substantially higher because there is more physical property involved. We carry 50/100/300. The last number is higher for me because I own the property. I would think something like 25/50/100 would suffice but it totally depends on what the rec center says. Remember, you are sharing liability.
FWIW, I have seen this ploy when a renter is wanting someone out for various reasons. It should be in the contract.

OP
C

cismab

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. Let me clarify, I have always carried AAU coverage as an option. This is the first time the city if mandating insurance on anyone who teaches out of their facilities. Which pretty much includes anyone teaching from chess instructors, sports, to robotics.

\What company do you use? I've been doing some research today and martial arts insurance is different than just business insurance and appears that most contact like sparring or mat work (not that we are doing ANY with covid 19 right now) is excluded from coverage.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you. Let me clarify, I have always carried AAU coverage as an option. This is the first time the city if mandating insurance on anyone who teaches out of their facilities. Which pretty much includes anyone teaching from chess instructors, sports, to robotics.

\What company do you use? I've been doing some research today and martial arts insurance is different than just business insurance and appears that most contact like sparring or mat work (not that we are doing ANY with covid 19 right now) is excluded from coverage.
I use State Farm and Next. I have had claims with both and have been very satisfied.

Latest Discussions