HELP with martial arts insurance

Master Stallion

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I grew up learning martial arts with a very traditional Grand Master that taught outside year round. None of us ever thought much about liability insurance because none of us would have ever sued him and he didn't have anything we could take anyway. Now, years later I have been teaching and I have the opportunity to move indoors. Unfortunately, this means that "it" is no longer a few guys working out in a backyard or the park but now its "class". I have to consider insurance and although I have knowledge of the law, I have no experience specifically with insurance...especially related to martial arts. Any suggestions or Ideas what it should cost or how to go about this? I know each state has their own laws/statues and I am in RI, but any direction would be helpful.
Graciously,
Sifu Vin

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you Google "Martial Arts Insurance" you get a lot of hits. In addition, many (most?) martial arts associations offer some kind of liability insurance through their auspices. As to specifics, I am afraid I have no advice to offer. I am sure there are many here with their own schools who can assist you, but I am just a student.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would ask around to others with dojos and find an attorney to advise you on the issue. Best to get expert advice on something this important.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I grew up learning martial arts with a very traditional Grand Master that taught outside year round. None of us ever thought much about liability insurance because none of us would have ever sued him and he didn't have anything we could take anyway. Now, years later I have been teaching and I have the opportunity to move indoors. Unfortunately, this means that "it" is no longer a few guys working out in a backyard or the park but now its "class". I have to consider insurance and although I have knowledge of the law, I have no experience specifically with insurance...especially related to martial arts. Any suggestions or Ideas what it should cost or how to go about this? I know each state has their own laws/statues and I am in RI, but any direction would be helpful.
Graciously,
Sifu Vin
In Australia we can get professsional indemnity insurance for up to 25 people for about US$450. That covers $10M. For an extra US$120 I also have accident insurance in case someone has a personal injury. That covers an additional $20K if someone was unfortunate enough to suffer permanent disability or smaller amounts to cover doctor visits etc.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have used Martial Arts Group for years. It is rather affordable as insurance goes at around $500 a year!

We use AAU and our dojo is covered. The students pay for it, it cost about $50 dollars per year.

OP
M

Master Stallion

White Belt
Reaction score
What is the AAU? You say that the students pay for it but does that mean it's $50/year per student? Or $50/yr and the students each contribute an evenly distributed amount? (10 students each give $5)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the AAU? You say that the students pay for it but does that mean it's $50/year per student? Or $50/yr and the students each contribute an evenly distributed amount? (10 students each give $5)

Here were the instructions sent by our sensei.

a. Go to www.aausports.org
b. Click "Join AAU"
c. Under "Individual Membership/Athlete: Purchase a 2011 Athlete Membership" click "Athlete Application"
d. Fill out personal information
e. Step 1 Program: pick "Adult Program"
f. Step 2 Membership Term/Catagory: pick "August 31, 2011 Added Benefit Membership
g. Step 3 Sport: Pick Judo (because of BJJ and MMA, the AAU has dropped jujutsu as a catagory)
h. Club Name: put Hawaii Zenyo Jujutsu Kai
i. Club Code: enter **********
j. Do you have Health and Accident Insurance: answer "NO" (so you will be eligible for more coverage)
k. Continue on to Pay. It will cost you $27.00 for one year.
l. Print out 2 copies of your new membership card. Keep one in your notebook and give one to me so that I can put it in your record file.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The AAU is a great place for getting insurance. Basically, it's not just the cost, but the fact that they'll stay out of your way, and not dictate how you should run *your* dojo.

A long time ago, my dojo's previous insurance company had been bought out by another, larger company. At first, they came in, and told us that they were increasing premium rates by 40%. Then, the agent gave us a list of things that we had to "fix" in order to continue with our coverage, which included the following:

1) Everyone must wear handpads, footpads, chest protectors, and headgear (complete with face shields) when any kind of "sparring" takes place, even simple non-contact ippon kumite.

2) Anytime anyone throws a punch or kick at each other, both participants must be wearing all of the above protective gear. Thus, if you perform kata with bunkai, then both the performer and the attackers must wear protective gear.

3) Everyone who is a staff member must be certified in CPR and first aid, even those who do not teach classes.

There were several other forced concessions that they wanted. When we asked them why, they said that because we were putting children in potential harm's way, that we should be obligated to make sure that they were protected to the fullest.

So we bade them goodbye, and went with another insurer.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We use K&K insurance - we used to use another company, but they were really expensive and had some weird intrusive policies similar to what Grenadier mentioned. With K&K you pay per student, I think, uh, $17 or $24 per depending on how much coverage you want. It also covers some property damage to the building and other things. They also have supplemental insurance you can buy to host a tournament or to offer a clinic to people who aren't your students. And I think they have a different, cheaper option if you teach but don't run an actual commercial school.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just checked K & K out (online quote). Basic liability coverage would cost me $765. For a "backyard" type school averaging about 10 (or often fewer) students, that comes to $76.50 per student per year. Add that to my other expenses for rent, assn. and membership dues, and the cost of my own continued training and I would either have to double what I charge my students or teach for a loss. As it is, we run our school essentially as a "club", all adults, pitching in to keep the art going, with the goal of breaking even.

Looks like I'll keep using a waiver and Dog Bros. Marc Denny's spiel:

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just checked K & K out (online quote). Basic liability coverage would cost me $765. For a "backyard" type school averaging about 10 (or often fewer) students, that comes to $76.50 per student per year. Add that to my other expenses for rent, assn. and membership dues, and the cost of my own continued training and I would either have to double what I charge my students or teach for a loss. As it is, we run our school essentially as a "club", all adults, pitching in to keep the art going, with the goal of breaking even.

Looks like I'll keep using a waiver and Dog Bros. Marc Denny's spiel:

I have a similar situation so I charge an annual fee of $100 that covers insurance and a few other fixed costs. With that out of the way you have your lesson fee which is whatever you need it to be to cover rent etc.
:asian:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions