Liability Insurance for teaching...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would appreciate a bit of guidance with regards to liability insurance for teaching. My Sifu has encouraged me to do some teaching on my own, and I currently have one student who I've been working with for a couple years. I began working with him in the context of a class run by my first sifu (he was a student a long time ago of my current Sifu, I have maintained a relationship with him after I began training under his/my current Sifu). I have space in my garage, it's clean and enough space for maybe 4-5 people with a couple heavy bags and basic training gear. I am not charging any fees, I'm not interested in doing that at this time. Currently it's just this one student, tho there are a couple others who occasionally drop in at sifu's class, none of them have come to my place. Another student is away on a Graduate university program and will probably be back in another year or two, I expect he will come to my place when he does. The point is, I've got very very few students, I am not actively seeking to grow the group, I am content with a very small group of dedicated people, I'm not running a business and I'm not collecting any fees.

What are the liability dangers involved, if someone gets injured at my place? These people are not the "suing" kind, but I could see the possibility that if there was an injury, their medical insurance might try to go after me for compensation. I don't know if my homeowners insurance would cover that, I suspect it would NOT cover it if I was running it as a business, but perhaps would cover as long as I don't accept money for it and it's not a business.

Otherwise, if I accept even a little money, then it's a business and I suspect I would need specific liability coverage for this.

Any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions?

thanks.

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, your best bet is to call an insurance broker and a lawyer. Since you are teaching out of your home it might be a homeowner's policy issue. I don't know. But those two will have a better idea of what to tell you and what you need to do.

Latest Discussions