Martial Arts Based on attacking pressure points

brmoore134

White Belt
Reaction score
What are forms of martial arts based on the attacking of pressure points?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gyokko ryu and Koto ryu found in the takamatsuden lineages have teachings on these pressure points. I find them quite effective.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think every striking art teaches areas of the body to attack, both for safety in training and good self defense. Some arts do it more than others, of course, but it's fairly easy for a student of any art to research and develop it as far as they want. I've seen some that go a little overboard, IMO, and I think that can be counter productive.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FWIW... Dim Mak isn't a style or system or anything like that.

It is a skill laid over other existing skills. You can "know" all the Dim Mak in the world, but if you can't deliver a strike, you might as well put on a cape & call yourself Batman.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW... Dim Mak isn't a style or system or anything like that.

It is a skill laid over other existing skills. You can "know" all the Dim Mak in the world, but if you can't deliver a strike, you might as well put on a cape & call yourself Batman.

Well put: The authors I train with and that still go back to China on a regular basis believe all martial art regardless of the style owe thier roots to TCM with some using and practicing that knowledge with in thier forms and SD and others had but lost knowledge and skill and are left with myth and legend to explain applicaitions or mapping movements.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Hapkido is based on attacking pressure points, but in the Hapkido I learned, pressure points were certainly taught from very early on. But they are mostly to facilitate defensive moves, such as preventing resistance, or taking an arm in a direction to apply a grapple.

Madcity

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a book saved on Amazon called “Vital Point Strikes: The Art and Science of Striking Vital Targets for Self-defense and Combat Sports” that seems to have received pretty good reviews.

As another user mentioned, I assume this information would be similar to Dim Mak in that it would provide knowledge that would supplement other skills.

If anyone else has already read this book I would be interested to hear what they thought of it?

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Internal arts often practice the utilization of pressure points. Hapikido has awesome joint-locks. I have heard the term 'acujutsu' used to generically describe the practice of using pressure points, among others, in combat or for self-defense.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Internal arts often practice the utilization of pressure points. Hapikido has awesome joint-locks. I have heard the term 'acujutsu' used to generically describe the practice of using pressure points, among others, in combat or for self-defense.

Where? And by who? I ask because it's a rather bizarre term on a number of levels, and I don't think anyone else here ever came across it before you mentioned it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where? And by who? I ask because it's a rather bizarre term on a number of levels, and I don't think anyone else here ever came across it before you mentioned it.

I haven't heard of it either Chris, but something tells me you'll be waiting a long time for an answer...lol. I'm wondering if perhaps he means Kyusho Jitsu.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what he thinks he means as well, but he said "I have heard the term acujutsu used....". And, as the term doesn't seem to exist, I'm interested as to who he heard it from.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I did a Google search acujutsu only
Comes back to things related to zenjael or shi shi baguazhang.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that it comes back to Alex, or a supposed Chinese system... despite the term being made up of English and Japanese components? Hmm....

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently Google says the term Acujitsu exists, then proceeds to describe normal Acupuncture.
I suspect the Sites may be Viruses, just telling Me what I want to hear, off off keywords.
But I dont see any serious mention of a Martial Arts Method based on that name.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what he thinks he means as well, but he said "I have heard the term acujutsu used....". And, as the term doesn't seem to exist, I'm interested as to who he heard it from.

Google also thinks I surely mean Fujitsu. There are so many garishly unsuitable jokes I could make right now.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, when I heard this 'acu' term earlier, I mentioned Kyusho, but it was either missed or ignored.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Apparently Google says the term Acujitsu exists, then proceeds to describe normal Acupuncture.
I suspect the Sites may be Viruses, just telling Me what I want to hear, off off keywords.
But I dont see any serious mention of a Martial Arts Method based on that name.

Google also thinks I surely mean Fujitsu. There are so many garishly unsuitable jokes I could make right now.
Like I said the only time I have ever heard Acujitsu was ajoking reference to acupuncture.. and it was made by a friend of mine who wasan LEO/Aikido/Uechi-Ryu guy in reference to my wife who is an acupuncturist andwhy I should behave :D... of course it was in response to what I had said whenI called him a brave man because his wife has a black belt in Kendo she got inJapan and he had katana and I think it a wakizashi hanging on his wall :D

So it was not exactly public knowledge

Latest Discussions