Martial Artist attacked by lion

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe the lion was trying to give her a hug? :D

She was moving around and in a pose that, well could've looked to the lion like something to eat, a bird or monkey. She could've been ovulating as well, that sometimes set male animals off. Even after she recovered from the (second) "attack" the animal was still going after HER.

What I DIDN'T appreciate was seeing the handler kick the lion. Pretty stupid thing to do. Ever try kicking a dog that was wanting to stay where it was? On top of it's "prey"?? Not too smart and it doesn't help relations between handler and lion does it?
What I see is they were over confident in the lion's passitivity of the shoot and their ability to handle the animal. From what I understand most of the times the animals are fed (well) just before the shoot so that they're not hungry at all and are more likely to want to nap than anything else. This makes them calm, passive.

4 broken ribs. Lucky lady.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow... At least she did not get hurt worse. I think if he was really serious about causing harm, that guy would not have dragged him off that easily... Wonder if he was just playing?

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think I'd lose my temper if someone was dancing around me like that when I was trying to eat! Thankfully I'm allowed to find this funny as the lady survived! They should have got a clue that this Lion was a bit too boisterious for their shoot after the first couple of grumbles and knockdowns.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Wow... At least she did not get hurt worse. I think if he was really serious about causing harm, that guy would not have dragged him off that easily... Wonder if he was just playing?
That is my first guess. Predatory animals if they're going to kill then the woman would've had her neck and/or head bitten before the handlers could've stopped the lion (as seen in the video). The animal jumped on her and hugged her at first. Which could've indicated play. But near the end before they (finally!!) led the animal out it kept trying to get to her which makes me think that he was looking at her a bit differently. They go by smell as well as sight and hearing.
I think I'd lose my temper if someone was dancing around me like that when I was trying to eat! Thankfully I'm allowed to find this funny as the lady survived! They should have got a clue that this Lion was a bit too boisterous for their shoot after the first couple of grumbles and knockdowns.
Yes, it was poor handling that I saw as well. Big cats like that need to be watched and paid attention to closely. Watch the video again and watch the handlers... they were watching the woman not the cat.
The woman was lucky.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Was she doing the Lion pose when the Lion attacked her?
He looked like he was playing I know if I wave my hands or make sounds my cat might pounce on it. I enjoyed watching the Lion roll on his back.

Scarey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

She was moving around and in a pose that, well could've looked to the lion like something to eat, a bird or monkey. She could've been ovulating as well, that sometimes set male animals off. Even after she recovered from the (second) "attack" the animal was still going after HER.

What I DIDN'T appreciate was seeing the handler kick the lion. Pretty stupid thing to do. Ever try kicking a dog that was wanting to stay where it was? On top of it's "prey"?? Not too smart and it doesn't help relations between handler and lion does it?
What I see is they were over confident in the lion's passitivity of the shoot and their ability to handle the animal. From what I understand most of the times the animals are fed (well) just before the shoot so that they're not hungry at all and are more likely to want to nap than anything else. This makes them calm, passive.

Hitting a lion in the face is how handlers back them off when they get too playful. Have you ever tapped a cat on the nose? Nothing hard, just a quick tap with a finger. It's like an automatic go the other way button. Something the size of a lion requires a fist or a foot to achieve the desired effect. It shocks them long enough to regain control of the situation. On your human-lion relations concern, a human must maintain the appearance of physical dominance over the animal to keep control over it. A lion tamer uses a chair to simulate a very large set of jaws. Were that not the case, the lion would just go through the chair. An animal that a lion doesn't respect as it's superior, being pride animals, is at best a toy, or at worst a meal. A small kick to the nose doesn't harm the lion, it just lets him know who's in charge.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you heard the story about "Goden Yamaguchi"..aka the CAT!

When he was in Manchura and a prisioner of the Japanese army...they threw him into a cage with a Lion....bare naked...he hit the lion on the nose and than choke the lion to death.

Hense the name "The CAT" plus his hair was like that of a lion!

A Goju Master and one of the first to emphaze free sparring over Kata's to develop fighing skills...very hard core lots of hard contact style.

Aloha

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you heard the story about "Goden Yamaguchi"..aka the CAT!

When he was in Manchura and a prisioner of the Japanese army...they threw him into a cage with a Lion....bare naked...he hit the lion on the nose and than choke the lion to death.

Frankly that story sounds like complete ********.

First, there are several official accounts of how he got his nickname. They tend to have to do with his hairstyle or preference for the cat stance. None of them has to do with caged lions.

Second, Have you ever seen the neck on a lion? A gorilla might be able to choke it out on a good day if it got the drop on it. A man? Not even. And what is the lion doing all this time? Just lying there waiting to tap out?

Third, if the lion was actually trying to fight or eat him it wouldn't have been deterred by a bop on the snout. Once they've flipped the "kill it" switch they're remarkably focused. Our first cat was like that. When she jumped up on the table and nosed at my dinner I whacked her on the nose. She ran off. But not before she bit the finger that I'd used on her.

I've seen a couple documented stories of unarmed men successfully fighting big cats. The cats in question were cougars and leopards which are much smaller than lions. In most of the cases the cat got the idea that it wasn't fun any more and split.

Of the two that I can think of involving dead cats one was a tiger of unknown size and health. The guys fighting it also died.

The other story was a little difficult to hear over the clanging of two gigantic brass testicles. An old Kenyan man was attacked by a leopard while he was working in his fields. He got a sudden moment of clarity, grabbed the cat's tongue and pulled it out by the roots. Gurgle. Thump. And the man will spend the rest of his life drinking for free off that story once the BBC got a hold of it.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad she wasn't hurt worse then she was. Now, personally it was stupid to do a photo shoot in the first place with a lion to demostrate and Martial Art and then get creamed by the lion.

Just my little view on it.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The lion looked bored and seemed to resent being away from the center of attention. Thank goodness it wasn't serious about killing her and that the keepers reacted quickly.

It does bring home a point. Human beings are very fragile compared to lions. They are strong, fast, quiet and have the most amazing power to mass ratio. And even if they're human-socialized and used to going along with their keepers they are not tame or domesticated.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then again, there's always the option of blowing its head off - rifle-fu is something of an advantage.

I'm very human-centric in my view of things, I have to confess, so my opinions on such matters tend to alienate a lot of 'animal lovers' i.e. if it attacks a person, then it dies (unless provocation was such that the 'person' deserved a Darwin Award and even then I'd still err on the side of caution).

The reason why we've managed to survive as a species is that we used 'force mulitpliers' to establish dominance (whether those be cooperation or weapons). We did that so often and so effectively that only rare examples of other prey species (on land) will attack us. Let that dominance slip and ... it's 'Planet of the Apes' time.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In shorter form: Once you're outside the circle of the fire, welcome to the food chain, bald monkey.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In shorter form: Once you're outside the circle of the fire, welcome to the food chain, bald monkey.

:lol:.

Oh and a correction of my post above - you can tell I was way past my bedtime as I said "prey animals" rather than "predatory animals" :eek:.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well, I'm glad she wasn't hurt worse then she was. Now, personally it was stupid to do a photo shoot in the first place with a lion to demostrate and Martial Art and then get creamed by the lion.

Just my little view on it.

"A hug" lol ;)

The lion was poorly handled, the whole thing was poorly organized, and I can't help but find it funny.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not a professional trainer, but I trained a few dogs. One of those (mine) was really "mean" and hurt to tame. We had to find an agreement on that LOL...he does what I ask, but I leave him alone if he wants to be left alone. I have never had to do with lions and not sure I wanna try either.

First of all, place. All animal, pets or wild, are very territorial. That doesn't mean only they protect they territory, but they also feel confortable in it. A lion out of its place will be in the first place nervous even tho you can't tell by just looking at it. Notice how quickly he runs out when the door is opened, no need to force it that way. The lion knows that out of there he will be out of that foreign place and hopes to go back to his territory.

I don't know how far are dogs and lions behaviours. Dogs have two ways of being hostile, attacking and defending. Fortunately I have had to deal only with defensive ones and that means they actually they don't mean to bite you unless you force them. That lion dind't show neither one kind of aggression even tho it might look like it. Glad it was stopped, but had it gone along with what he was doing I doubt he would have hurt the woman (well, intentionally. Lion doesn't know his size and weight are enough to kill her). Putting the woman down is sign of dominance and I think the lione wanted to prove he was dominant.
Remember it was not his place so he needed to make that place his. His trainers were no threat to him and the photographer was clam and quiet. The woman was moving slowly back and forth and the lion might have seen a threat for the territorial ownership.

Of course I am no pro at all in this subject so I might be completely wrong.