I don't want to be a lion.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw a martial arts meme the other day. "If you want to be a lion, train with lions."

I have no disagreement with that, but the operative word there is "if."

I like training with great martial artists, and I always try to give my best effort, but seriously? I don't want to be a lion. I don't want to be the best. I don't want to be a champion. Realistically, it would never happen anyway. I'm old and in mediocre health. That ship has sailed. And I'm totally fine with it.

For me, competence is quite sufficient. I'm an ok martial artist. I can perform all of the elements of my style on command, competently. I won't win any tournaments, but I also don't want to. I love to train, but I do it entirely for my own satisfaction.

For those who want to be lions, I say go be lions. I'm glad you exist. Someone should want to be the best. But that person isn't me, and I'm completely good with that.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Becoming comfortable in your own skin is an important aspect to finding long term focus and satisfaction. When I was running a self-defense focused jujitsu school, many students wanted me to be an MMA gym.

I tried to be all things to all people, but that wasn't going well. So I decided to become more of who I was and not what other people wanted. Best thing that happened to me, I became comfortable with my focus in martial arts.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I saw a martial arts meme the other day. "If you want to be a lion, train with lions."

I have no disagreement with that, but the operative word there is "if."

I like training with great martial artists, and I always try to give my best effort, but seriously? I don't want to be a lion. I don't want to be the best. I don't want to be a champion. Realistically, it would never happen anyway. I'm old and in mediocre health. That ship has sailed. And I'm totally fine with it.

For me, competence is quite sufficient. I'm an ok martial artist. I can perform all of the elements of my style on command, competently. I won't win any tournaments, but I also don't want to. I love to train, but I do it entirely for my own satisfaction.

For those who want to be lions, I say go be lions. I'm glad you exist. Someone should want to be the best. But that person isn't me, and I'm completely good with that.

I prefer to train with Grizzly bears myself ;)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is a lion? Is a lion a top-tier competitor? Or is a lion the person who is best set up to fight for their life?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That seems to be a good approach. Here's Khabib Nurmagomedov, one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time, wrestling with a bear at age 9:
bear-fight.gif

Latest Discussions