Question about dojo mirrors

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, not to sure where I should post this but thought this would be the best part anyways I recently just started my own school. A friend of mine who also has a school donated some extra mirrors to me there 3 feet hight by 12.5 feet long. Now I have never hanged mirrors, and was wondering what is the best way to put them up and the safe way so that they don't get broke when people spar or bump in to them. My idea is to Mirror Glue them to wood then put the fansers on the bottom and then drill and screw the wood to the wall any other ways?

adam

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you intend to hold onto these mirrors, in case if you end up moving? If so, then mirror glue is a bad idea, since you're going to have loads of trouble getting them off in that case, even if you have the right solvents.

I'd suggest creating a rail at the bottom and the top of the mirrors' areas, and slide them in. The last one on the edge, can be made with just a lower rail (to allow the others to slide in), and then finished with a separate rail on top for easier removal in the future.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I was planning on get ply wood cut out to almost the same size as the mirror pre drill some holes so i could drill the ply wood on to the dry wall once the glue has dryed on the wood so it be almost like a frame. and just take the screws out to take the plywood-mirror down

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I was planning on get ply wood cut out to almost the same size as the mirror pre drill some holes so i could drill the ply wood on to the dry wall once the glue has dryed on the wood so it be almost like a frame. and just take the screws out to take the plywood-mirror down

That should work OK, although I usually get a bit leery about resting the weight of a glass mirror onto a steel focus (the screw). That's why I suggested using an entire rail to distribute the weight.

If you intend on using screws to hold the weight of the mirror, then use several to evenly distribute the weight.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd suggest contacting and paying a local glasswork company to do this for you. Those are big panels; they'll be heavy, and if you don't hang them right, you'll guarantee that they'll break. If you have a pro do it -- at least you can blame THEM and probably get them to fix or replace the mirrors if they break unreasonably.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd suggest contacting and paying a local glasswork company to do this for you. Those are big panels; they'll be heavy, and if you don't hang them right, you'll guarantee that they'll break. If you have a pro do it -- at least you can blame THEM and probably get them to fix or replace the mirrors if they break unreasonably.
Ditto this.

Tell them that you want to be able to remove the mirrors when you vacate the premises. They'll install them with a holding track on the bottom and screw-down clamps along the top.

But by all means, pay the money and have the glass pros do the work!