Martial Art vs. Buisness

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just have a question to pose to the group.

What are your opinions on MA schools that are run for profit?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Langdow

Just have a question to pose to the group.

What are your opinions on MA schools that are run for profit?

Are there schools that are not run for profit ?

OP
L

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sure, non profit schools run by other organizations, ie) Schools, parents groups
Fees are still there for students but the school technically just makes enough to cover costs

E

Elfan

I don't have any philosophical objections to martial artists making money off of their skills. If I see the profit abused (i.e. lets up the fees, by myself a huge house and then up the fees again so I can get a new car while decreasing the quality of instruction) then I will not be pleased and will leave. Other than that I'm okay with it. If I think I'm paying too much then I wont go to that school. However, I also expect that whomever I'm training with is training them and as I recent thread on costs showed that can be mighty expensive. Then they probably want a place to sleep other than the school and some food to eat and I'm okay with that too. ;-)

And yes there are some schools that aren’t really run for profit. The instructor may have another full time job and just runs the school on the side.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My school is not run for profit. I have a small school and I pay more than half the rent each month myslef. I also dont keep anyone who has an attitute or has alot of trouble following the rules.
I teach to pass on my art it would be nice to make a profit but I will not cheapen or change my art and/or training methods for money
Shadow

F

fringe_dweller

If a Martial Arts school was running for profit I would expect a large portion of that to be put back into the school itself. Constantly upping the equipment and also the availablity of instructors, more seminars and whatnot.
We recently discussed upping the fees at our school and none of us have a problem with it as we want to make an effort to get our dojang looking sharp and getting some more equipment.

C

c2kenpo

I don't have any problem with MA schools that take in a profit. Many schools such as dance, gymnastics, ice skating, college, etc etc do as well.

This is a natural order of the fair USA and its capacity for capitalisim. Of course that also allows the second beauty of the freedom of the consumer to have fair choice and decide on what they want and are willing to purchase, this even includes education.

The unfortunate side effect are those that take advantage of the system and simply try to "sell" or "assembly line" black belts and do not really provide the true quality instruction that everyone deserves no matter what the cost of lessons are.

Run a school for low/no profit well then that is the owners choice, with his/her own challenges. Run for profit then great, hope you are part of a nationally accreddited group and system that tries to really provide quality instruction for what is a fair cost to your students.

Dave Gunzburg
:soapbox:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with someone making a living from a school, even better if it allows for a comfortable lifestyle.

The one cavet is that the school is run fairly, honestly and professionally.

Gouging the students, or promoting just so one can collect test fees in my opinion is plain wrong.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

I see nothing wrong with someone making a living from a school, even better if it allows for a comfortable lifestyle.

The one cavet is that the school is run fairly, honestly and professionally.

Gouging the students, or promoting just so one can collect test fees in my opinion is plain wrong.

I agree. I certainly don't begrudge my instructor a living. Many
are impressed with our school's size and nice layout. Although
he teaches cardio kickboxing and kids, in order to support
passing on the art to adults. He can't be makin' too much from
his adult class.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with selling your martial arts skills as an instructor as long as you're selling a quality product.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I have no problem at all with someone making a living off MA. However you must have a quality product to sell, like so many others have said. In fact, I would love to teach full time, I plan on it, its just you have to take into account that its not a static product you are selling and you have to be careful not to try and sell it as such.

7sm

Latest Discussions