For you old school boxing fans

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure how I got here, but I did so I thought I would share what I found. If you were ever wondering about that strange boxing pose with the lead hand way out there. I'll have to look at the relationship between the U.S. and France at the time. Includes sparring. Looks exactly some of the martial arts sparring I've seen in martial arts schools. that same awkwardness that students have until they understand how to really apply the techniques.

here's some milling going on

ole skool style vs style. Boxing vs wrestling.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Fascinating!
I have no clue how pretty much anyone in the first clip could do anything in those shoes

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing's early roots had it's basis in fencing, the lead hand was out to intercept incoming strikes. I have found no actual documented historical basis, but have heard rumors/urban legend that when boxing went to the Philippines that because of the knife fighting and tighter guard that boxing started to adopt that and started to look like more modern boxing.

I think it would have made the transition to what we see now in boxing because of the big gloves and exclusion of other techniques found in early boxing (hip throws, kicks) regardless of what the FMA's claim.

But, back to the video. I think that old school boxing resembles more TMA style because it dealt with bareknuckles (not a big emphasis on head punching as much, but more bodyshots), kicks, throws, grappling from the clinch. Also, I think just the fact that they were being filmed and trying to make it "look good" effects things as well with that "new fangled technology of moving pictures"

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boxing's early roots had it's basis in fencing,
Many boxers writing in the London Prize Ring rules era believed this, taught it, and wrote it down. But looking at the early history from the Broughton era, I am inclined to doubt it. I think there was a parallel evolution and a period of "sharing" but I believe the roots are somewhat different.

the lead hand was out to intercept incoming strikes.
To parry, to act as a "barrier" to discourage the opponent closing, to act as a "feeler," etc.

I have found no actual documented historical basis, but have heard rumors/urban legend that when boxing went to the Philippines that because of the knife fighting and tighter guard that boxing started to adopt that and started to look like more modern boxing.
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an article proposing the link. I don't think it's true either, based on what I see in historic manuals and photos. Compressed guards and stances can be traced to earlier than heavy involvement in the Philippines. But it could be true.

I think it would have made the transition to what we see now in boxing because of the big gloves and exclusion of other techniques found in early boxing (hip throws, kicks) regardless of what the FMA's claim.
This seems much more likely to me.

But, back to the video. I think that old school boxing resembles more TMA style because it dealt with bareknuckles (not a big emphasis on head punching as much, but more bodyshots), kicks, throws, grappling from the clinch. Also, I think just the fact that they were being filmed and trying to make it "look good" effects things as well with that "new fangled technology of moving pictures"
I think you're mostly right. But there were plenty of head shots and face punches in bare knuckle.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions