Man Who Held Ohio Women Captive Is Found Dead

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
September 4, 2013

[h=1]Man Who Held Ohio Women Captive Is Found Dead[/h] [h=6]By MICHAEL SCHWIRTZ NY TIMES EXCERPT:[/h] Ariel Castro, the Cleveland man sentenced last month to life in prison for holding three women captive in his home for a decade, was found hanging in his prison cell on Tuesday night after apparently hanging himself, officials said. He was later declared dead at the hospital.

Mr. Castro, 53, was found hanging in his cell at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient, Ohio, at 9:20 p.m., JoEllen Smith, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, said in an e-mailed statement. Mr. Castro was housed in a cell by himself and a guard was required to check on him every 30 minutes at staggered intervals, the statement said. He was transported to Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

His death seemed the final act in a story that has held the country transfixed since May, when neighbors discovered the women in Mr. Castro’s Cleveland home after hearing the screams of one of them and broke through the front door.
Mr. Castro later pleaded guilty to 937 counts including rape and kidnapping.
It was not immediately clear how Mr. Castro was able to hang himself. The Ohio Department of Corrections statement said a review of the incident was under way.

All three women were kidnapped between 2002 and 2004. All were kidnapped in the vicinity of Mr. Castro’s home at 2207 Seymour Avenue, and all were acquaintances of Mr. Castro’s children.
End Excerpt
Good riddance, he saved the people of Ohio a fortune.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do agree it is hard to feel much sorrow when hearing that such a monster (whether he considered himself one or not) has left the world.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good riddance--I am not surprised he didn't want to face the next decades thinking about what he had done and where it had gotten him.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good riddance as well. At least this way, the taxpayers can save a few dollars, instead of wasting them keeping that monster fed.

I hope that those three women, and their families can get final closure on this ugly situation.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't have happened to a better guy, although a little more suffering would've be preferred.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good! And I agree that this was the cowards way out. He had no issues holding others captive for years, but couldn't seem to stand the thought of it happening to him. Of course I love the way the dirt bags family wants this big investigation now, as if they're hinting there was some 'wrong doing' in the system. No, I doubt there was wrong doing, just the fact this guy couldn't live with himself.

Latest Discussions