Man, I hate putting together videos

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By kata standards, they're pretty short. I'll talk myself into pulling something together in the next day or so. That's assuming I don't look at the video and decide my kata performance is absolute crap, of course.

You can make videos in youtube private so only specific people can see them.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can make videos in youtube private so only specific people can see them.
Yeah, but I probably won’t bother. If I’m willing to share it, I don’t care who sees it. I’m pretty well aware I’m flawed, so comments can’t hurt my feelings. :D

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, but I probably won’t bother. If I’m willing to share it, I don’t care who sees it. I’m pretty well aware I’m flawed, so comments can’t hurt my feelings. :D
It's different for me when it's a work in progress instead of a final product.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm rather trying to avoid the specificity of lines on the ground. I want students to adopt and adapt, using appropriate footwork and distancing, rather than trying to copy mine (which may or may not be appropriate for them). Though the tape would be a handy reference for directionality and such.

For angles, I think 3 gives most of the information I'm interested in capturing in a video, though 5 would make it easier to see some things. I've basically done two cameras at angles, and one series with the Hobbit filming each segment from what I expect is the "best" angle.
Sometimes it's difficult to see angles that people take when doing video. The lines help provide a "3D reference" on a 2D medium (video)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hat's assuming I don't look at the video and decide my kata performance is absolute crap, of course.
Easy solution for this. State that your Kata is for function and as such it does not look as graceful as what would would see used for the entertainment performance of kata. Just put that in the video and everything that you think is crappy will now be acceptable.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy solution for this. State that your Kata is for function and as such it does not look as graceful as what would would see used for the entertainment performance of kata. Just put that in the video and everything that you think is crappy will now be acceptable.
It's more a matter of whether the performance (my "doing" the kata) shows what I want. I don't much care if it looks good, so long as the principles aren't misdemonstrated. I haven't looked at video of my movements in a while, and I was on a surface that required some....compromises.

But hopefully I'll get to look at the footage tomorrow morning. Then I'll know if it's worth using, or if I need to have another go. If the latter, I'll need to figure some way to get those lines on the ground (uneven and broken pavement) as a reference. I like the idea, and would definitely llke to add it if I need to reshoot, anyway.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah. Trees down here and there. Something like 12,000 people without power in our relatively rural area.
I saw some news footage from the storm. I didn't get a chance to hear were it was from, but there was property where it looked like someone threw paper and trash all over the grounds and it was actually pieces of the houses. One person had a house that came off it's support and landed in the middle of the road as if someone picked up the house and just placed it in the road. I was thankful that it missed our area. But it tore up some other areas close by.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw some news footage from the storm. I didn't get a chance to hear were it was from, but there was property where it looked like someone threw paper and trash all over the grounds and it was actually pieces of the houses. One person had a house that came off it's support and landed in the middle of the road as if someone picked up the house and just placed it in the road. I was thankful that it missed our area. But it tore up some other areas close by.
Not nearly that bad around here, though it did a bit of damage. I think the mountains in the area might reduce the storm's ability to really bear down, between the natural wind-breaks and the mountains pushing air masses up.

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started working on a series of videos of kata, figuring that'd be the easiest stuff to put together for students while things are shut down. I am not having fun with it. I need at least three camera angles to get everything in, which means a lot of editing and figuring out where transitions should be between shots (to make sense to the viewer) and then doing some voice-over on top of all that.

I thought I was going to do a series of videos. I'm not sure that will ever happen at this rate. I just don't enjoy video editing like I once did. I used to really get into stuff like that.
Did you make your video? Where can I view it?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My plan was to start and end with a solid run-through from two angles (either split-screen, or picture-in-picture). Between those two runs, I'd explain each segment in a voice-over, using whatever is the best angle to see that segment. The kata are short, so even with all of that, it'd probably be under 5 minutes.
Late to this thread, but since it came back up. The best videos I see show the entire thing from one, clear angle so that people can see what it's supposed to look like, then break it down from various angles after that.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you make your video? Where can I view it?
The footage isn't much good, so I haven't compiled it. Black uniform against a busy background (did it in my driveway against a background of forest) and too wide a shot, so it's tough to see what's going on. I'm going to try to slip by the dojo sometime this week and re-record. And probably going to take the advice of just doing 3 angles, each in a single take, rather than trying to capture parts separately.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late to this thread, but since it came back up. The best videos I see show the entire thing from one, clear angle so that people can see what it's supposed to look like, then break it down from various angles after that.
The problem I'm having with that is that the movement pattern (the same pattern for all of my kata) faces different directions at different times - no real "front" to the kata. So, any one angle is bound to be nothing but butt shots for at least 20% of the time. But I think I'm going this route, anyway. Probably just run through 3 angles, one after the other.

If I feel motivated, I can always use those videos to create a set of short clips for each segment, with explanations.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem I'm having with that is that the movement pattern (the same pattern for all of my kata) faces different directions at different times - no real "front" to the kata. So, any one angle is bound to be nothing but butt shots for at least 20% of the time. But I think I'm going this route, anyway. Probably just run through 3 angles, one after the other.

If I feel motivated, I can always use those videos to create a set of short clips for each segment, with explanations.

You could also do picture-in-picture. Have 3 frames showing different angles, for example.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could also do picture-in-picture. Have 3 frames showing different angles, for example.
Good idea. Ineed to figure that out in my editing software. I’m sure it has the ability, but I haven’t used it in this one yet.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
6dc.gif

Latest Discussions