Possible Online Lesson Format and Video - Please comment

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Aloha Everyone

I recently put together a prototype for an online lesson that utilizes social media and can keep me in touch with students who have left Hawaii. Please check out the following document and comment. I will be posting a video of this lesson shortly. This isn't a studio grade video. It's a video shot in a couple of takes and put together with basic editing software. It should get better as my editing skills improve.

makalakumu

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Karate Online Lesson Format
Introduction
Karate students who move away from Makalakula have the opportunity to continue their training in Makalakula’s online dojo. Our lessons are designed to broaden a student’s understanding of the kata by traversing the Kihon-Kata-Kumite-Kime Cycle. The typical lesson starts with basics, walking a student through a set of drills that builds proper technique. The lesson moves on to cover kata, showing how the basics presented in the previous section tie together. Then, the lesson progresses to a method of testing that reveals the principles in the kata application. Lastly, the lesson covers some of the intellectual/philosophical principles that tie together improve all aspects of karate. These lessons are meant to supplement training in the dojo, not replace it.
Sample Lesson
Kihon

Palm strike (on the pads)
Basic punch (on the pads
Thumb escape (from wrist grab)
Wrist lock #1
Tapping
Side fall

Kata

Pinan Nidan (opening sequence)

Kumite

Wrist grab escape (and regrab) – uke resists technique
Stir the pot – tori applies a wrist lock and attempts to get uke to spin around and flop on his face

Kime

The three theories of joint locking
Hard and soft striking
St-5
Superior Position
Escape Routes

Assessment

1. Performance of the bunkai sequence at expected belt proficiency standards.
  2. Performance of sparring exercises at expected belt proficiency standards.
  3. Both of these can be videoed and posted in response or emailed to instructor.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about the 'Pinan Nidan', that's the name of a Wado Ryu kata so I'm not understanding why it's used in TSD?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pinan nidan is the original name for the kata.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pinan nidan is the original name for the kata.

Okay but that's the Japanese kata surely not a Korean one? Are you teaching Wado or TSD because you are using Japanese terms for everything. Sorry not being awkward, in fact I'm probably being a bit thick here lol but it is confusing me!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay but that's the Japanese kata surely not a Korean one? Are you teaching Wado or TSD because you are using Japanese terms for everything. Sorry not being awkward, in fact I'm probably being a bit thick here lol but it is confusing me!

I prefer a general approach to the art as opposed to a nationalistic or stylistic approach. With my karate practice, I've found a lot of value in knowing all of the names for the particular set of principles packaged in a kata. Therefore, I've gone back to the original names. Pinan was what the creator of the kata called this set, so I go with that. I am teaching TSD, but it's not orthodox. In fact, I'm not sure there is such a thing as TSD orthodoxy.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really like what you are doing. It is really good to give students some thing to work on even when they are not with you and in your case or mine some times we have students move away (or we move) and you can help them through online training provided they have a good base in the system already. Nothing, absolutely nothing can take the place of a real live in person instructor. However, when distance is an issue and a good base in the system has already been established then a practitioner can potentially get some benefit from video. (still they need to train with an instructor when available) I like your format but I would focus more on just one or two techniques or a kata on each vidoe. I would also make sure I have different angles. Particularly that back angle as well when in class that is how a lot of people learn. (kata, technique for repetition, etc. I have some online training videos for IRT practitioners that are private and only availble to them and not the public. I do have one that is online for public viewing. Here it is:
Maybe that will give you an idea on how I do it! Keep going and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tez- If you teach the form "correctly" then it doesn't matter if it's Heian/Pinan/Pyong Ahn. Same applications with different stylistic interpretations!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez- If you teach the form "correctly" then it doesn't matter if it's Heian/Pinan/Pyong Ahn. Same applications with different stylistic interpretations!

If you are doing the same techniques then yes it wouldn't matter what the style is. I do Wado and TSD and there's no equivalant in TSD of Pinan Nidan so the techniques can't be the same. Other katas such as Pyung Sah Dan, Oh Dan and Ee Dan are similiar enough to do as you say but not Pinan Nidan. It's like TSD has taken Pinan Nidan and made it into the first four patterns but not taken it as a whole.
This is the Pinan Nidan I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a different version of the kata, in fact, I haven't seen it before. However, the basic principles in Pyung ahn cho dan are still present. I can tell that these kata are related.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having lived there (twice), I love what you are doing for students who have left the islands. Much luck and success in this!

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's our Pinan Shodan basically. It was originally taught in the order you are learning. Show us what your Pinan #1 looks like and I bet it looks like our Pinan #2.

In certain styles, Pinan Shodan and Pinan Nidan are inverted - what certain styles call Pinan Shodan is what others call Heian Nidan, and vice-versa. For example, the kata Shotokan calls Heian Shodan, other styles, such as ****ō-ryū call Pinan Nidan. Another point to note is that Shūkōkai teaches Pinan Nidan first, and Pinan Shodan second, believing Pinan Nidan to be the easier, more beginner-friendly kata. The order that is learnt in Wado-Ryu goes as follows, Pinan Nidan, Pinan Shodan, Pinan Sandan, Pinan Yodan and Pinan Godan.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like teaching this one first, but I still call it Pinan Nidan. When students learn the whole set, we put them in their proper order.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm on your page John, that was in response to Tez. Sorry for lack of specificity. And I think I missed the point on what he was saying. I think it's clear that the two are from the same tree. I hadn't watched your video when I wrote my first response.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm on your page John, that was in response to Tez. Sorry for lack of specificity. And I think I missed the point on what he was saying. I think it's clear that the two are from the same tree. I hadn't watched your video when I wrote my first response.

No worries. I actually could care less what order the kata the taught in. I think that there is a logical progression, but it's not dogma.

My ultimate goal with this idea is to break down each of the 18 kata that we practice and give at least one point of view for each section. This is my general karate lesson format, btw. When I present new material, I use this.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who he? :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive my inappropriate gendered pronouns!

Lol! No worries, I'm confused enough already lol. I can't get my head around this thread...my fault entirely I'll add. I'm not good at learning from watching at the best of times so I'm afraid the video has gone over my head because I can't see how it pertains to the kata.

Latest Discussions