Man, I hate putting together videos

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started working on a series of videos of kata, figuring that'd be the easiest stuff to put together for students while things are shut down. I am not having fun with it. I need at least three camera angles to get everything in, which means a lot of editing and figuring out where transitions should be between shots (to make sense to the viewer) and then doing some voice-over on top of all that.

I thought I was going to do a series of videos. I'm not sure that will ever happen at this rate. I just don't enjoy video editing like I once did. I used to really get into stuff like that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're okay with it being choppy, don't worry ahout editing it. Put up the three video cameras from each angle you want, and then upload them separately saying: 1 pinyan front view, 1 pinyan side view, 1 pinyan rear view. It'll save you a bunch of time.

If you don't have three cameras, just d9 the form each time, moving the camera or your starting angle.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Five angles would actually be good: front, rear, right, left, and overhead.

For someone who is already versed in the system and just wants them for reference, one or two angles should be plenty. But for thoroughness, five is best.

I haven’t really figured out how to do overhead though. Film from a second or third story window I guess, but some sort of suspension actually directly overhead would be nice.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t really figured out how to do overhead though. Film from a second or third story window I guess, but some sort of suspension actually directly overhead would be nice.

Attach the camera to a Chi Ball and send it to hover...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depending on what it is, I do 4 camera angles. and 1 diagonal angle. I don't worry much about editing anything in terms of trying to get everything on one take. I know I have to do the form or technique 4 times and a 5th if it's a tough technique to see when it's done. My Sifu is doing one angle but mainly because everyone is familiar with the system. Student are encourage to choose any angle they want, when replying with their training videos. This helps to see the technique from different angles without the teacher having to actually do more than one angle. For beginners, I would do 4 angles and only a diagonal if necessary. I'm not sure how well an overhead angle would work since we don't learn from that angle in person. Also having some kind of taped line on the ground helps with foot placement references.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

For someone who is already versed in the system and just wants them for reference, one or two angles should be plenty. But for thoroughness, five is best.

Use a drone for overhead. No idea how to use them though.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I find it more difficult to follow a kata with editing in between. The cuts get me turned around.

What would be much better for me is if you did the form from each angle that you need to. Usually 2 angles is enough for me to see what's going on (i.e. front and back).

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're okay with it being choppy, don't worry ahout editing it. Put up the three video cameras from each angle you want, and then upload them separately saying: 1 pinyan front view, 1 pinyan side view, 1 pinyan rear view. It'll save you a bunch of time.

If you don't have three cameras, just d9 the form each time, moving the camera or your starting angle.
That's an idea. The problem is, I was planning to explain the form along the way. I suppose I could just use the same voice-over on all videos.

Lemme think about that. It might be a better answer.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I thought about more angles. The top view would be a great reference view; it really gets the directionality in. But like you, I haven't yet figured out how to do that. Maybe someday I'll get a cheap drone.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on what it is, I do 4 camera angles. and 1 diagonal angle. I don't worry much about editing anything in terms of trying to get everything on one take. I know I have to do the form or technique 4 times and a 5th if it's a tough technique to see when it's done. My Sifu is doing one angle but mainly because everyone is familiar with the system. Student are encourage to choose any angle they want, when replying with their training videos. This helps to see the technique from different angles without the teacher having to actually do more than one angle. For beginners, I would do 4 angles and only a diagonal if necessary. I'm not sure how well an overhead angle would work since we don't learn from that angle in person. Also having some kind of taped line on the ground helps with foot placement references.
I'm rather trying to avoid the specificity of lines on the ground. I want students to adopt and adapt, using appropriate footwork and distancing, rather than trying to copy mine (which may or may not be appropriate for them). Though the tape would be a handy reference for directionality and such.

For angles, I think 3 gives most of the information I'm interested in capturing in a video, though 5 would make it easier to see some things. I've basically done two cameras at angles, and one series with the Hobbit filming each segment from what I expect is the "best" angle.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find it more difficult to follow a kata with editing in between. The cuts get me turned around.

What would be much better for me is if you did the form from each angle that you need to. Usually 2 angles is enough for me to see what's going on (i.e. front and back).
My plan was to start and end with a solid run-through from two angles (either split-screen, or picture-in-picture). Between those two runs, I'd explain each segment in a voice-over, using whatever is the best angle to see that segment. The kata are short, so even with all of that, it'd probably be under 5 minutes.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My plan was to start and end with a solid run-through from two angles (either split-screen, or picture-in-picture). Between those two runs, I'd explain each segment in a voice-over, using whatever is the best angle to see that segment. The kata are short, so even with all of that, it'd probably be under 5 minutes.

Do you have a video of one of the katas already done?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use a drone for overhead. No idea how to use them though.

One of our kids has one that would be perfect. You can fly it around, of course, but you can also set it to follow the controller, or to just go where you put it and stay there. It has a camera built in (I think most do) which is how you fly it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have footage. I still haven't assembled any of it or done any editing. I'm avoiding it like it's a painful vaccination.

I was just curious to see how long one was, and how detailed your explanations are. Maybe we could give more targeted advice that way.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just curious to see how long one was, and how detailed your explanations are. Maybe we could give more targeted advice that way.
That's a good idea. Would probably be better than him putsing around with it hoping it's good. And it might also be ready for his students already!

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By kata standards, they're pretty short. I'll talk myself into pulling something together in the next day or so. That's assuming I don't look at the video and decide my kata performance is absolute crap, of course.