Man defending himself against women

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, we're talking about school yard fights, then. That actually helps frame this up quite a bit. Not exactly what I think of as self defense, but at least specific enough that we can have a discussion about it. :)

I also want to be clear that I am not saying women don't get into fights. I do think that unless you have a professional occupation that exposes you to a large number of women who are compromised in some way, whether drunk, high, mentally ill or in some other way in distress, you are unlikely to ever find yourself in a real world self defense situation with a woman attacker. I think it's much more likely that, outside of the bouncer or LEO (or some other similar profession such as maybe ER nurse), the only circumstance I can even imagine where you'd be attacked by a woman is if she is a relative or someone known to you, who is some combination of drunk, high or mentally ill.

And ultimately, in any of these situations, opening up a can of whoopass is probably a pretty bad idea.

In yhe unlikely event? Ok how many fights do people get into in general? Man woman child dog cat whatever.

ATACXGYMCAPOEIRA

White Belt
Reaction score
Take their back control them in a bear hug.

There is a cool little arm lock I do but it is hard to explain.

In California, the above or something like it...which I use...is by far the more sensible and smartr and safer means of self defense. I worked HRSP for more than a dcfade, and have faced more than my fair share of irate female assailants. Some of them armed. Hammering a woman the way we men would hammer an aggressive man is very much frowned upon in general in society; and in my experiences it's similarly frowned upon in the LOS ANGELES COUNTY area.

As a private person, I have been attacked by inebriated high and just flat out aggressive women before, too. Tall, big women who were oftentimes ganxtas or raised by ganxtas. They routinely beat up the average untrained guy around their size or smaller.

Usually I made them quit altogether because my footwork, agility and conditioning was vastly superior to theirs. Keep an aggressor working at a high rate for a minute or more and the average attacker will gas out.

For the 5 times that the above wasn't an option, due to close quarters and blitzkrieg attacks? The many subtle areas overlooked in sport combat is very helpful. Taking a woman's back and sinking in the hooks GIVES THE APPEARANCE OF DOING HER DISPROPORTIONATE INJURY TO THE UNTRAINED AND/OR CYNICAL EYE. In this day and age especially, I don't want to be the Black guy that the police see backmounted on some "helpless" female. Especially backmounted and throwing blows, sinking any kind of lock or choke, or whatever. Especially whil she's screaming and worked up and so are the witnesses.

Blocks. Power Stances capable of repelling and/or redirecting aggressive charges. Elusive close quarter footwork. Traps. Pushes at the hip/thigh area. Tenkan like movements are very helpful here. Especially if executed at ankle height or so. Some of the Afrikan skills that spawned the legendary agility we see in the Afrikan art miscalled "Capoeira"...called in our family " Osun/Yemoya/Olokun fáfá funrayin ko" or "ustadi kukwepa" which roughly translates as "skillful evasion" or sometimes "skillfully evading" [ Osun, Yemoya, and Olokun are incredibly powerful orisha of the waters. Osun is the orisha of rivers lakes etc and is the daughter of Yemoya, Mother of Gods and Queen of the Oceans, Seas, etc. Olokun is the Master of the Deeps of the Waters and Keeper of great wisdom and great mysteries. Each have different fighting styles, lessons Animal Styles, etc although each are of th Water Element. ]

The self defense skills called upon for escape and evasion, bodyguarding, neutralizing opponents without hurting them, control and pinning, redirection, unbalancing, buckling, trapping and checking upper and lower limbs to prevent her offensives while guaranteeing the successful execution of skillful evasions which eventually wear hear down mentally and physically because of her repeated failures. This is what we need here. Sweeps, throws, takedowns, etc are too risky, in that they may land you in jail because onlookers are largely untrained and hypersensitive to any manhandling of women. Even tall, big women. Even BUTCH women. Get the automatic benefit of the doubt. Whereas we men? Not so much getting the benefit of the doubt.

So. Learn to block. Learn to evade. Learn to move your head. Learn to control with minimal contact. Learn to apply Power Stances. Learn to redirect. Learn to use elusive footwork, level changes, feints fakes and misdirection.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
What are 'ganxtas'?
I suspect they are typically thought of as ghetto dwellers, raised in areas where fighting and agression are encouraged.
They're typically tough to hit in the face due to the rapid side-to-side head movements (which I have to admit, is a decent defensive movement) while arguing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect they are typically thought of as ghetto dwellers, raised in areas where fighting and agression are encouraged.
They're typically tough to hit in the face due to the rapid side-to-side head movements (which I have to admit, is a decent defensive movement) while arguing.

Thanks, I won't get an answer it seems from that poster as he's been banned ...again!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

By the way. Two guys grab her arms drag her off. Was my bouncer standard.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This guy does a good job of defending himself against a woman. Sweeps are so underrated. Sadly they made the guy out to be the bad person. I don't know where this happened (sounds like Australia), but they need to stop crying about a sweep like that. He literally used minimum force.

Not sure why people don't think there are consequences to their actions. Had she been in the U.S. she would have probably been punched or slammed depending on who was working that day.

This is a sweep.

This is what a sweep looks like when you are serious about it

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This guy does a good job of defending himself against a woman. Sweeps are so underrated. Sadly they made the guy out to be the bad person. I don't know where this happened (sounds like Australia), but they need to stop crying about a sweep like that. He literally used minimum force.

Not sure why people don't think there are consequences to their actions. Had she been in the U.S. she would have probably been punched or slammed depending on who was working that day.

This is a sweep.

This is what a sweep looks like when you are serious about it
His mistake is not catching her fall.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
His mistake is not catching her fall.
He slowed her fall in the first sweep but not the second. I don't think he made any mistakes. I think the mistakes were all hers. For some reason she didn't think there were any consequences to her actions and probably assumed that since she's a woman that he wouldn't do what he did.

Some of the approaches women take with me wouldn't have been taken with another woman because they know the other woman would fight back. Too many women make the assumption that "men aren't supposed to hit women." Society makes women to be helpless victims to the point where even if a woman is attacking a man, that the man shouldn't defend himself against the attack.

That lady could have taken an easy victory as it was clear to see that the man didn't want to get into a confrontation with her. Even when he told her to stop she kept going one. Had she stopped when the guy told her to stop she could have did her "gorilla chest beating" in victory. The man would have been more than satisfied with that. If anybody made a mistake it wasn't the man. He defended himself without lifting a hand to punch her in the face, he didn't kick in the stomach. And as far as I could tell he didn't do anything out of anger. We can't say that about the woman.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
The fact that women are often allowed to assault men with little fear of retribution, due to being perceived as weaker, just encourages certain types of aggressive women with poor ethics or raised in cultures that accept this behavior, to act out.
It's pretty much a win-win for the woman...if they beat the man (who doesn't defend himself) they're "tough enough to beat up a guy"... if they lose (because guy does defend himself) they are "victims" and typically it's the guy who risks jail time.
I once dated (very briefly) a woman who kept causing trouble with big guys at a bar... apparently in some warped expectation that I would come to her defense and fight the guys. I ended that relationship quickly as I didn't relish getting in bar fights as much as she did.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I once dated (very briefly) a woman who kept causing trouble with big guys at a bar... apparently in some warped expectation that I would come to her defense and fight the guys. I ended that relationship quickly as I didn't relish getting in bar fights as much as she did.
That's so amazing that guys even have those types of stories about women.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would have said fairly common. People in general can be pretty violent.
I keep telling people that. People in general can be pretty violent.. Women included. I haven't heard any stories of men trying to get their girlfriends or wife to fight another woman. I'm sure it happens but I haven't heard those stories yet.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I suppose passive restraints or locks...... but some women these days have skills and are more violent then I remember.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suppose passive restraints or locks...... but some women these days have skills and are more violent then I remember.

he's got a video for almost every topic discussed on MT lol.

Rmada

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'll have to admit that video got my blood pressure up. Does no one in the media believe in personal accountability anymore? The woman clearly was initiating conflict and the baggage handler exercised considerable restraint in the face of her barrages. She had no excuse to behave that way and for the reporters (and the kids videoing the incident) to make him out to be the bad guy is ridiculous.

On a lighter note the "How to Restrain a Woman" video is awesome! (thanks)