Man defending himself against women

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a woman attacks me, I simply punch their punches, and kick their kicks, until they don't want to play anymore. :)

While hoping she's not a better fighter than you I assume.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The truth is, I wouldn't hope; I would just assume she wasn't that great of a fighter. I know that is wrong on some level, but you asked. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truth is, I wouldn't hope; I would just assume she wasn't that great of a fighter. I know that is wrong on some level, but you asked. :)

Obviously you haven't met Traveller women who fight like their men and as often.
Underestimating anyone who is attacking you is dangerous, especially as often with women it's fuelled by alcohol or drugs which multiplies their strength and craziness. You can find yourself in serious trouble.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with those posting that an attack by a woman isn't materially different than an attack from a man. I respond to the severity and brutality of the attack not to the gender of the attacker. That said, my approach when the cops arrive would likely be different - quick to make myself clearly compliant, to avoid mistaken impressions.

Women can (and do) attack men they don't know. I see nothing questionable about the account posted in another thread. I don't know if it's a precisely accurate account (likely, it isn't, since almost no eye-witness account is ever accurate - our brains simply don't store memories that accurately), but it is certainly believable and realistic. People sometimes lose their minds over nothing (it's called emotional hijacking - a process of the limbic system that shuts down the frontal cortex and executive processes), and women certainly aren't immune to it. And where you live, work, and spend time can reduce how many of these people you're around, but they sometimes come to where you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Obviously you haven't met Traveller women who fight like their men and as often.
Underestimating anyone who is attacking you is dangerous, especially as often with women it's fuelled by alcohol or drugs which multiplies their strength and craziness. You can find yourself in serious trouble.
I am actually a nice guy, and don't get attacked by women as often as you might think. However, I think my boyish good looks that make them think they can beat me; so, they did all the under-estimating. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because I look so wimpy, women often walk up and want to spar, just like the guys do come to think of it, and I always agree. I have made a lot of friends this way, people are strange. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
or you are bald and look like an egg?
No I am 46, and I look like a 23 year old. When I was in the Military, I went to the hospital for some issues, and everyone kept asking for my Dependent Card. I honestly had no idea what that was. I would show them my military ID, and they would laugh. :(

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I am 46, and I look like a 23 year old.

This is probably not the place to say that and really annoy most of the posters! :D
Most people spend half their lives trying to look older and then when they do the rest of their lives trying to look younger. I will venture to say I don't think it's a youthful look that makes people want to smack you around, must be something else?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Townsville. Which is just north of me.

So, we're talking about school yard fights, then. That actually helps frame this up quite a bit. Not exactly what I think of as self defense, but at least specific enough that we can have a discussion about it. :)

I also want to be clear that I am not saying women don't get into fights. I do think that unless you have a professional occupation that exposes you to a large number of women who are compromised in some way, whether drunk, high, mentally ill or in some other way in distress, you are unlikely to ever find yourself in a real world self defense situation with a woman attacker. I think it's much more likely that, outside of the bouncer or LEO (or some other similar profession such as maybe ER nurse), the only circumstance I can even imagine where you'd be attacked by a woman is if she is a relative or someone known to you, who is some combination of drunk, high or mentally ill.

And ultimately, in any of these situations, opening up a can of whoopass is probably a pretty bad idea.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, we're talking about school yard fights, then. That actually helps frame this up quite a bit. Not exactly what I think of as self defense, but at least specific enough that we can have a discussion about it. :)

I also want to be clear that I am not saying women don't get into fights. I do think that unless you have a professional occupation that exposes you to a large number of women who are compromised in some way, whether drunk, high, mentally ill or in some other way in distress, you are unlikely to ever find yourself in a real world self defense situation with a woman attacker. I think it's much more likely that, outside of the bouncer or LEO (or some other similar profession such as maybe ER nurse), the only circumstance I can even imagine where you'd be attacked by a woman is if she is a relative or someone known to you, who is some combination of drunk, high or mentally ill.

And ultimately, in any of these situations, opening up a can of whoopass is probably a pretty bad idea.
If you aren't controlling the situation, you are just punishing some poor girl who made a bad decision.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you aren't controlling the situation, you are just punishing some poor girl who made a bad decision.
Controlling which situation and punishing what poor girl who made what bad decision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on the situation. If it's my wife attempting to slap for one numerous bone headed things that come out of my mouth, I would not respond with force. If however its a creditable attack from a female that means me real harm I'm going to do what I need to stop her feom harm me or a loved one.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
A similar question comes up regarding children.
When I was a substitute teacher many years ago, I had a 4th grade class with a couple students known to have violent tendancies. One morning one went off screaming, hit a couple fellow students, and then chased another around the room. I decided to step in between an block the violent kid. Rather than stop, he punched me right in the zyphoid, catching me off guard and knocking the wind out of me... and continued chasing the other kid. On his next lap around, I anticipated the punch, grabbed his wrist and did a reversal/lock... aiming him into a chair and holding him there. He kept screaming and trying to lunge at me, which just tighted the wrist lock each time (although to the other kids watching, it looked like I was just gently holding his wrist).
He got suspended, but I was worried about legal repurcussions of using force. I tried to be as gentle as I could be, while still protecting the other kids. Fortunately, nothing negative came of this, but it's tough when you're put in a situation that you didn't choose... especially when the attacker is smaller and you have to risk looking bad for using force to defend.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys have heard of sticky hands, but that stuff is great for women folk. :)

I was actually just about to bring this up, not specifically as a man defending against a woman, but in general, really. The one encounter I've had with a woman was about a year and change ago at a concert. The first clue I had that something was wrong was her hand grabbing my face from behind and raking down across my forehead, eyelid and cheek. (Leaving me to explain why I had claw marks across me face for the next couple weeks, yay!)

Anyway, I shrugged out and spun into her, at which point she fell to the floor. Seeing that it was a woman, I went from oh-sh**-being-attacked mode into, stupidly, oh-it's-a-woman-I'll-help-her-up mode. As I bent down to pull her up of the floor before she got stepped on, as you do, I realized she hadn't accidentally clawed me, she for some reason really wanted to shred my face. Sticky hands all the way, put her back on the ground, and shoved my way across the mosh pit. Honestly, I think she was mainly disoriented and scared, she was clearly under the influence of something or other.

Point being, I think she may have been as much under the impression that she was defending herself as I was, and I certainly wouldn't want to be recounting this story with an ending where I smashed my forearm into the side of her head and then dragged her unconscious over to security. I'm a huge advocate of sticky hands for that very reason, it's a fantastic way to instantly gain a huge tactile ability to defend yourself, while also buying you some time to orient yourself, while also making a variety of grappling more accessible...

Basically, sticky hands is an immensely useful tool to minimize damage to both parties for a second or two, which is great when you're dealing with someone that isn't the 6'4", 230 pound, evil mugger in the alleyway, but someone you may not want to hurt badly, like a friend, a cousin, a young teen, whatever.

That said, I don't find there to be any moral or ethical difference between defending yourself against a woman or a man of comparable size, strength, skill, and aggressiveness. A child versus an adult yes, there's a huge difference. A man versus a woman, no.

In any case, I'm still a die-hard fan of sticky/sticking hands when defending yourself against anyone. For me, it's more of a default, like a ranged striker's guard might be. And an excellent tool for subduing an opponent without breaking them, if that's what you deem to be appropriate in a given situation.

Latest Discussions