Makiwara

D

Deathtrap101

I am interested in building a makiwara. I know its not for building tough callous on the hands but that it is a by product, but ive also read taht if your getting calouses that your hitting it wrong??Is that true? And that the better you get at it the harder it should hurt.

Anyone ahve any advice on thsi before i go and make one??

OP
F

fissure

KennethKu is not alone in his dislike of makiwara, many MAists don't think they are agood idea.
Personally, I enjoy using it.When I started in Shotokan the "you just do what you are told" school of thought was still in place.After so many years makiwara training has become part of my every day training.I get a feeling of 'conection' to the roots of karate when practising on it.
I do think you can train your punch effectivly with a heavy canvas bag however.Like KennethKu stated - it's your call!

OP
D

Deathtrap101

yea the site keneth game me was where i got the idea, i got it off another forum. But i think im gonna make one, see how it works for me. thanks.

OP
S

Shinzu

i enjoy working with a makiwara also. my first style was shotokan and it introduced me to it.

i dont train on it until my knuckles bleed, but i will utilize it until my knuckles become sore.

it is also great for pin pointing your kicks.

OP
F

fissure

But i think im gonna make one, see how it works for me.
If you go with a traditional straw 'pad', be careful!It's very easy to tear up your nuckles on these, in the early stages.:EG:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Injury hinders training. I used to scrap or tear the skin on my forefists. Then to make matter worse, I ignored the small wound and continue to punch away. It opened up wider each day. And ended up taking even longer to finally heal. Longer time out from training. Getting injured is a bad idea.

OP
F

fissure

Good advise KennethKu!
Did you have someone to show you the progression of makiwara training- first mearly pressing into the punching surface, then light 'arm only' hitting and so forth?Or did you jump in at the deep end.
Back when I started they pretty much threw us to the wolves, full out punching with the hip behind it.Believe me I can relate to bleeding knuckles!:EG:
I don't remember how long it took to get through that stage, but thankfully at some point we did! :)

OP
S

Shinzu

this is true. i wouldnt go blasting away at it and not expect to walk away injured. perhaps you should wrap a thin piece of cloth around your knuckles for added support.

then when your knuckles have built up resistance to it, try it without the cloth.

a little bit can go a long way. take it slow at first.

OP
C

Chiduce

I hit the steel makiwara. I prefer iron. Hands can get cut and knuckles torn. However, it is very, very effective in toughening the hands, fingers, and knuckles. I hit with the back-knuckles, dragon's head, pheonix eye fist, leopard's fist, and hammer-fist to build chi and get the old chi out and create new fresh chi. The hands itch from time to time and do not look pretty. Yet, i trust them in any street combat situation. For me, the iron fist is the true way of makiwara training. I salute Dr. Pan Qing Fu for his efforts!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!
:asian:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by fissure .......Did you have someone to show you the progression of makiwara training- first mearly pressing into the punching surface, then light 'arm only' hitting and so forth?Or did you jump in at the deep end........

Learnt things the hard way. But I was aware of the risk involved in Ironfist conditioning.

Latest Discussions