Make your opponent's spine to bend side way

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can make your opponent's spine to bend side way (not forward or backward), you can collapse his structure and take most (if not all) of his defense and counter away. When your opponent has no structure, he will have no threaten to you at that particular moment. If you want to take him down from there, it can be effortless.

- Do you train this?
- Could your share your thought here?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have some double underhook versions.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Chinese wrestling, this principle is used in the "slant cut". The word "slant" is the key. Not "forward", not "side way", but "slant".

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train 2 styles of this. One is for an advancing attack and the other is to deal with someone trying to grab for my waist. both techniques are highly effective.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We train to take our opponents balance, and that certainly includes bending them in various directions. I find that sideways or backwards is most effective, simply due to the way the human body works.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never really trained bending an opponent sideways without a sweep/legTrip/etc.
Something else I need to explore.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never really trained bending an opponent sideways without a sweep/legTrip/etc.
Something else I need to explore.

Agreed. As I said, we train to upset an opponents balance, but it's by no means a stand alone issue. Uprooting them must always be followed by a take down, a throw, a lock, a strike... something.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been investigating this, which we call "spine locking" for the past 2, 3 years or so. Just about every aikido technique that I can thing of that has anything to do with the body itself, not just the periphery/limbs, has one version of spine lock or other in it. I have to say, I am A Fan.

KF Wang said though in the O/P that he only likes it sideways, not forward or backward (I paraphrase), and I have to disagree slightly with that. In my own expression, I enjoy great success with postural destruction of uke when I am able to get them bending to the side, but also forwards and backwards. The engagement is almost always about over when I manage to get a position where uke is "bent" at the waist in any direction -- though forwards, because this is the direction the body is designed to bend, is the most... "escapable" if I can make up a word to describe what I'm poorly trying to explain.

Personally, I find that backwards is the most efficient option, as sideways tends to get uke into my legs/feet, and I want to avoid that.... as the uke goes to the ground the options for restraints/locks/submissions open up, to be utilized as you note them.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
KF Wang said though in the O/P that he only likes it sideways, not forward or backward (I paraphrase), and I have to disagree slightly with that.
The concern about forward and backward spine bending is not only the human body are more nature to bend forward and backward then side way, when you bend your opponent's spine

- forward, since he is behind you, he can still push you down to the ground.
- backward, he can still spin his body, change his backward bending to forward bending, and take you down.

In both cases, you are not totally taking your opponent's defense and counters away.

But if you can bend your opponent's spine "side way", even if he may drag you down with him, since you have already obtained a head lock, you already have a perfect "side mount" to start with.

IMO, the

- forward and backward spine bending may cause a "full mount".
- side way spine bending may cause a "side mount".

Since I'm look for that "side mount" advantage, the "side way spine bending" can fit me better.

Latest Discussions