"Make violence a choice and no-" you never have a choice..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Gee, I hope there's caveats to that. I work at an airport. If there isn't at least one jerk per hour we usually send out search parties to help.
When I work hospital Security, with rather active mental health and detox units, depending on the day…. it could 2 or 3 in an hour. I feel your pain

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Haha "virtue signaling" in these times seems to ignore the present realities of people enjoying their self esteem and people taking revenge for their lack of it. The social climate right now, if history serves, is so many playing the dead baby misery bucket, that it drives the rest of people to enjoy what they do even more. A wall of pleasant happy against their miserable ugly efforts.
Wellbeing and happiness now are called "disrespect"?
Nobody is going to walk around pretending to be lame or miserable or anything they dont want to. David Carradine said 50 years ago that "if everybody had martial arts, tyrants couldn't oppress people into anything"

Which includes the current oppression of all that is well by all that is crooked. Imagine demanding a prize because there isn't one aspect worthwhile or interesting to others? As far as the jealous blutos, they are always there. You can be "kind" or you can set them back, mock them or drop them - thats part of why you studied. They are a "miserable constant" but right now the place is full of jokes, picking on old people and challenging who they shouldn't.
Let the fortunate be grateful and remember, if they weren't worth it yesterday, they aren't worth it now just because they make noise. Look out for yourself. Sometimes pity one you hate for the old gipper?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I encounter jerks every day, but not because I’m a jerk. Because I work in the customer service industry.
Guys, it's like the pirate code.

That said, I have worked in some pretty wild customer service and public service, and the jerks were pretty rare. The point is to encourage us all to be introspective. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So, getting back to the line cutting situation, how would folks handle that? You're standing in a line and a douchebag cuts in and gets belligerent... what would you do? I'm really curious about this.

I think everyone in the thread, outside of the OP, agrees that it's incredibly anti-social, douchey behavior. So, how do you all manage these people?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, getting back to the line cutting situation, how would folks handle that? You're standing in a line and a douchebag cuts in and gets belligerent... what would you do? I'm really curious about this.

I think everyone in the thread, outside of the OP, agrees that it's incredibly anti-social, douchey behavior. So, how do you all manage these people?
Depends on how belligerent their getting, and how important/time-sensitive the thing I'm in line for is. If I'm at a takeout restaurant, and the reason for the gap was social distancing due to a covid wave (so the other side of OP's situation), after informing the guy that I was in line if he starts to flip out like I'm guessing OP did I'd just back away and let him go. Especially if I get the feeling he's high-risk of having covid (I'm guessing, but would be very surprised if complaining about OP safety-measures wasn't part of the interaction), I just make sure I keep my distance. Getting egg foo young 5 minutes earlier isn't all that important.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Honestly, interacting with rude people isn’t that difficult. It just takes a second to remind myself that all people have a bad day sometimes. I assume that they either are accidentally rude or are dealing with life events that may have overwhelmed their ability to stay within social norms. I may remind them, but more often I just ignore it. As long as they don’t actually try to touch me, we won’t need to have any interaction. For example, the other day I was in line at a store and two guys were behind me and began loudly discussing how they had just gotten out of jail and their shared distaste for tattoo. I am heavily tattooed. They continued on and on, I ignored them completely, then they moved on to how they hate anybody that works in the hospital, I was wearing my scrubs from work. I continued to ignore them, eventually they tried to actually engage me directly in conversation. I smiled and politely greeted them, then finished my transaction and left.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If I was waiting in line at the local PD, I'd do nothing. Other than that...

You give the scenario of the cutter being a douche bag. Douche bags are bad enough, but then he gets belligerent?

You're trying to make me smile, aren't you? It worked, bro. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I usually call people out on it. Sometimes less tactfully than I think I ought.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, getting back to the line cutting situation, how would folks handle that?
One time I tried to buy a train ticket in Shenyang north train station in China, a Chinese soldier cut in line. I told him to get back in line. He refused and punched at me. I took him down on the concret floor by headlock, and had a good side mount on top of him. 3 Chinese police officiers came and asked me what had happened. I told them that this guy cut in line. Those Chinese police officiers laught at me and left. The guy took off. People around me all blamed on me to start a fight with no good reason (To Chinese, cutting in line is normal human behavior). I stood there and felt like I was an idot.

My girlfriend and I spent 3 weeks traveled in China. She tried to ask people to quit smoking. I tried to stop people from cutting in line. Both of us did something good for the human being.

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It depends

I have just said , I was next.
I have then asked the guy if he had a pregnant wife at home?
Kids alone in the car?
was he running the order to police or nurses?

with his blank stare the rest of the place laughed and the point was made.

Similar situation people walk in and walk straight up to the counter when the signs and floor "x's" are clearly marked and they ignore it.
As I shook my head, the older woman (Owner with her husband) stated the line was there. And then they realized that their X was back out in the foyer area.

When a tween at a water park and seeing some cut and when asked to get back in the line they laughed at me.
So I then cut.
And I told everyone else to cut in front of them.
Pretty soon the line handlers had to watch.
And they realized that no one cut until this one group of people cut.

So they explained to them to wait in line or be kicked out.

Those that want to start something and think their life is more important than I think my life is, can go forward and be a D bag and I will just comment and or laugh . They need to be called out to learn the social behavior.

Example I traveled to Japan for work.
I had connections for trains and needed to move.
The American long stride fast paced walk was interfered with almost on purpose.
Yet, when I saw people shuffle their feet and say sumimasen the sea parted.
So I scuffed my feet and spoke the magic "Excuse" phase which was ignored previously as I had not scuffed / shuffled my feet, and I moved faster through the crowds to get to the areas I needed.

I learned the local social habits.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha "virtue signaling" in these times seems to ignore the present realities of people enjoying their self esteem and people taking revenge for their lack of it. The social climate right now, if history serves, is so many playing the dead baby misery bucket, that it drives the rest of people to enjoy what they do even more. A wall of pleasant happy against their miserable ugly efforts.
Wellbeing and happiness now are called "disrespect"?
Can someone translate this into English?
Nobody is going to walk around pretending to be lame or miserable or anything they dont want to. David Carradine said 50 years ago that "if everybody had martial arts, tyrants couldn't oppress people into anything"
David Carradine was a narcotic abusing mediocre actor with so-so martial arts skills who choked himself to death while masturbating. Not someone I'd choose as an exemplar.
Which includes the current oppression of all that is well by all that is crooked. Imagine demanding a prize because there isn't one aspect worthwhile or interesting to others? As far as the jealous blutos, they are always there. You can be "kind" or you can set them back, mock them or drop them - thats part of why you studied. They are a "miserable constant" but right now the place is full of jokes, picking on old people and challenging who they shouldn't.
Let the fortunate be grateful and remember, if they weren't worth it yesterday, they aren't worth it now just because they make noise. Look out for yourself. Sometimes pity one you hate for the old gipper?
May I mumble dogface to the banana patch?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

David Carradine was a narcotic abusing mediocre actor with so-so martial arts skills who choked himself to death while masturbating. Not someone I'd choose as an exemplar.

Indecipherable. It sounds like a Roger Miller song. “You can’t roller skate in a Buffalo herd”.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

OK let me try...I think it says...All we have to do is dishwash the tinkle kitten until the bandage is impossible, and we're floppin' crone scone....loosy translate of course

As for David Carradine.....I never thought of him as a martial artist at all....he just knew how to dance to look like a stereotypical martial artist

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Depends on how belligerent their getting, and how important/time-sensitive the thing I'm in line for is. If I'm at a takeout restaurant, and the reason for the gap was social distancing due to a covid wave (so the other side of OP's situation), after informing the guy that I was in line if he starts to flip out like I'm guessing OP did I'd just back away and let him go. Especially if I get the feeling he's high-risk of having covid (I'm guessing, but would be very surprised if complaining about OP safety-measures wasn't part of the interaction), I just make sure I keep my distance. Getting egg foo young 5 minutes earlier isn't all that important.
Agreed. This kind of antisocial behavior is a pretty big red flag.

OK let me try...I think it says...All we have to do is dishwash the tinkle kitten until the bandage is impossible, and we're floppin' crone scone....loosy translate of course
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Latest Discussions