"Make violence a choice and no-" you never have a choice..

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I usually call people out on it. Sometimes less tactfully than I think I ought.
It happens. I will say something, but much like @Wing Woo Gar , I approach it from the perspective that they just don't know better... like a friendly, "Hey man. There's a line back here." Never had a situation where someone pushes it beyond that.

Generally, though, I'm just not in much of a hurry, and am not interested in being the social norms police. So, if someone cuts me off on the freeway, it doesn't bother me at all. I will let folks in and try to drive friendly. I let folks in front of me in the store, if I have a bunch of stuff and they only have one or two items.
It depends

I have just said , I was next.
I have then asked the guy if he had a pregnant wife at home?
Kids alone in the car?
was he running the order to police or nurses?

with his blank stare the rest of the place laughed and the point was made.
Making fun of people, mocking them, or embarrassing them is kind of mean and generally not super helpful, in my opinion.

Similar situation people walk in and walk straight up to the counter when the signs and floor "x's" are clearly marked and they ignore it.
As I shook my head, the older woman (Owner with her husband) stated the line was there. And then they realized that their X was back out in the foyer area.

This is pretty typical of what I've seen. Folks don't realize others are already waiting. I've had people do that to me before, and I'm always happy to wait in line, if I know where the back of the line actually is.
When a tween at a water park and seeing some cut and when asked to get back in the line they laughed at me.
So I then cut.
And I told everyone else to cut in front of them.
Pretty soon the line handlers had to watch.
And they realized that no one cut until this one group of people cut.

So they explained to them to wait in line or be kicked out.
The thought of trying to out-tween a tween sounds like a special kind of torture to me. That you were able to get other adults to join you in this is surprising to me. If I were there, I'd shake my head at all of you.

Those that want to start something and think their life is more important than I think my life is, can go forward and be a D bag and I will just comment and or laugh . They need to be called out to learn the social behavior.
This is interesting to me. I applaud your optimism that 1: you are the standard for appropriate social behavior and 2: that the folks who "want to start something" are going to learn anything from you. I wouldn't waste my time.

Example I traveled to Japan for work.
I had connections for trains and needed to move.
The American long stride fast paced walk was interfered with almost on purpose.
Yet, when I saw people shuffle their feet and say sumimasen the sea parted.
So I scuffed my feet and spoke the magic "Excuse" phase which was ignored previously as I had not scuffed / shuffled my feet, and I moved faster through the crowds to get to the areas I needed.

I learned the local social habits.
This is a little different. Isn't it? I mean, in this case, the system exists, and you're just learning to work within it. You weren't disrupting the system. You were impeded by it.

What do you think would have happened if you just started pushing your way through the crowd? Just started shoving people out of your way? I'm pretty sure you physically could have done so, and made your way through the crowd without much trouble at all. That's more analogous to someone disrupting the social norm.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Agreed. This kind of antisocial behavior is a pretty big red flag.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

excellent-happy.gif

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I seem to be a magnet for the petty misery and jealousy i advocate ignoring?
I always interpret "english please" as a child who couldn't understand in the first place, not an adult pretending they couldn't. "Friendly martial talk" except for the obligatory miserable trolling...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's the actor from Dr Strange, right?
I don't know, I haven't seen Doctor Strange. ( I don't get out much)

But it was a line from Lewis Carroll's The Jabberwocky.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It happens. I will say something, but much like @Wing Woo Gar , I approach it from the perspective that they just don't know better... like a friendly, "Hey man. There's a line back here." Never had a situation where someone pushes it beyond that.

Generally, though, I'm just not in much of a hurry, and am not interested in being the social norms police. So, if someone cuts me off on the freeway, it doesn't bother me at all. I will let folks in and try to drive friendly. I let folks in front of me in the store, if I have a bunch of stuff and they only have one or two items.

Making fun of people, mocking them, or embarrassing them is kind of mean and generally not super helpful, in my opinion.

This is pretty typical of what I've seen. Folks don't realize others are already waiting. I've had people do that to me before, and I'm always happy to wait in line, if I know where the back of the line actually is.

The thought of trying to out-tween a tween sounds like a special kind of torture to me. That you were able to get other adults to join you in this is surprising to me. If I were there, I'd shake my head at all of you.

This is interesting to me. I applaud your optimism that 1: you are the standard for appropriate social behavior and 2: that the folks who "want to start something" are going to learn anything from you. I wouldn't waste my time.

This is a little different. Isn't it? I mean, in this case, the system exists, and you're just learning to work within it. You weren't disrupting the system. You were impeded by it.

What do you think would have happened if you just started pushing your way through the crowd? Just started shoving people out of your way? I'm pretty sure you physically could have done so, and made your way through the crowd without much trouble at all. That's more analogous to someone disrupting the social norm.

My apologies it seems like I have upset you or offended you.

Why one might ask I think that?

You quote about "I wouldn't waste my time".
Why quote me?
Why post your opinions about me?
Other than to show you opinion is better than mine and you some how look down on mine.

All Good.

When I much younger I used to think I could something from everyone.
Later I learned that is not true.
As their (not yours - nor implying anything about you in this statement) level of ignorance or stupidity or lack of caring to change, means I could learn Tolerance. Only sometimes I cannot tolerate it.

So I walk away or don't engage.
Yet, I have had people continue to stalk or contact me or show up where I am at to get me to continue to teach them or to help them.

Sometimes it is just not worth the effort. No matter how hard I try I cannot turn led into gold.

So, I offer this up to you.
If I have upset you , or bothered you that was not my intent with the original nor this post.
I am not on staff, you could put me on ignore.
Or just choose not to engage.

That being said, I did not list all the cases.
I did not stop at "It Depends" as it always will and has done so.

I am sure you have an opinion of me it is hard to get by our bias, stereotypes, and such.
Even with claiming open mindedness the tone / choice of words send a message.

Not sure as yours seem to be saying multiple things at once.

Be at peace, ignore me if it makes your life better.
Know it was not intentional

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My apologies it seems like I have upset you or offended you.

Why one might ask I think that?

You quote about "I wouldn't waste my time".
Why quote me?
Why post your opinions about me?
Other than to show you opinion is better than mine and you some how look down on mine.

All Good.

When I much younger I used to think I could something from everyone.
Later I learned that is not true.
As their (not yours - nor implying anything about you in this statement) level of ignorance or stupidity or lack of caring to change, means I could learn Tolerance. Only sometimes I cannot tolerate it.

So I walk away or don't engage.
Yet, I have had people continue to stalk or contact me or show up where I am at to get me to continue to teach them or to help them.

Sometimes it is just not worth the effort. No matter how hard I try I cannot turn led into gold.

So, I offer this up to you.
If I have upset you , or bothered you that was not my intent with the original nor this post.
I am not on staff, you could put me on ignore.
Or just choose not to engage.

That being said, I did not list all the cases.
I did not stop at "It Depends" as it always will and has done so.

I am sure you have an opinion of me it is hard to get by our bias, stereotypes, and such.
Even with claiming open mindedness the tone / choice of words send a message.

Not sure as yours seem to be saying multiple things at once.

Be at peace, ignore me if it makes your life better.
Know it was not intentional
Hey. I’m not upset, and not sure what gave you that impression. but I can see now that we don’t speak the same language so I’m the future I’ll give you some room. I hope you have a good evening and stay out of the hot weather.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I seem to be a magnet for the petty misery and jealousy i advocate ignoring?
I always interpret "english please" as a child who couldn't understand in the first place, not an adult pretending they couldn't. "Friendly martial talk" except for the obligatory miserable trolling...
Huh? Could someone help me start this story at the beginning? I’m a tad bit confused by this post.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huh? Could someone help me start this story at the beginning? I’m a tad bit confused by this post.
I'm confused by this whole thread! Strange imaginative responses... references that go STRAIGHT over my head...

All this thread needs is a dim mak reference and we've truly come full circle!

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm confused by this whole thread! Strange imaginative responses... references that go STRAIGHT over my head...

All this thread needs is a dim mak reference and we've truly come full circle!
Here you go:
1658493274467.png

We've got pretty good dim mak restaurants over here.