MA vs MA

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think those kinds of comparisons are interesting and entertaining, but they don't prove a lot. What works is what you can make work in a real fight, whether you learned in a martial arts school, in the military or in prison. Competitions all have rules and the matches are promoted. People can game the outcome based on that. It is worthwhile to read what Bill Wallace, who was a commentator at the first UFC, said about why the first UFCs were dominated by Royce Gracie.

If you read books by people who have handled a lot of real violence, like those by Rory Miller and Varg Freeborn, you see that style is not all that important and martial arts schools don't really teach fighting. They may teach techniques that are useful in fighting, but real fighting is more about the mental aspects.

If sport is your interest, watching competitions generally only proves who has best mastered the rules of a given competition.

I read a study that analyzed 200 videos of actual street fights. The average length of the conflicts was 47 seconds and few lasted over a minute. If there was a KO or TKO, it generally happened in the first 10 seconds. If that didn't happen, it generally went to the ground. That is nothing like most competitions I've seen.

MMA fighters have handled real violence as well though Tim Kennedy, Baz Rutten. And they say training and systems do matter.

brian k

White Belt
Reaction score
does anyone know of or seen any good mpegs on the net of different martial arts styles mixing it up in competition or something against each other? just interested in such major events and there outcomes.
thanks
I believe the Royce Gracie UFC events were the best...There's also the Gracie garage video's that Rorion hosted back in the 80s...He sent out one or maybe a few of his pupils to set up challenges with other martial artists. Several martial artists accepted the challenge. They were masters of their art and had all the confidence in winning. There were karateka, Kung-fu, wrestlers, body builders, etc. Of course it all ended the same way. With the Gracie's winning and not by brute force either. They used their techniques to take their opponent down and do what the Gracie's do. You can even hear Rorion say not to use a closed fist to one of his brothers...so the brother just kind of slapped the opponent a little bit before forcing the opponent to tap out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah you obviously don't want to grapple in the street. If you are engaged on the ground with a BJJ guy. Just stand up.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah you obviously don't want to grapple in the street. If you are engaged on the ground with a BJJ guy. Just stand up.
A good BJJ guy is not gonna let you “just stand up” and your attempt to stand up can create opportunities for him. You will need some good anti-grappling techniques and like anything, they are not foolproof.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A good BJJ guy is not gonna let you “just stand up” and your attempt to stand up can create opportunities for him. You will need some good anti-grappling techniques and like anything, they are not foolproof.
What's more effective then learning anti-grappling techniques is learning how to actually grapple. Then you can grapple your way away from grappling if you want.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is true and what better way for a grappler not to have his nose broken is to study Muay Thai.
“Ain’t nothing better than the real thing…”
That is if you don’t get your nose broken learning Muay Thai!
What's more effective than learning anti-grappling techniques is learning how to actually grapple. Then you can grapple your way away from grappling if you wan
That is true and what better way for a grappler not to have his nose broken is to study Muay Thai.
“Ain’t nothing better than the real thing…”

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What's more effective then learning anti-grappling techniques is learning how to actually grapple. Then you can grapple your way away from grappling if you want.
That'll never work. If you learn to grapple, you'll just get good at grappling. I have no interest in grappling with someone on the streets. I'm going to just stay on my fight. If a BJJ guy tries to take me down, I'll bite him or knee him in his face.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just checking... are we still having fun trotting out circa 2002 internet tropes? I have a lot more of them. I haven't even gotten to the self defense, glass and concrete stuff yet.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The guy I learned from is an 8th degree ninja and self defense expert from Perth. I'm pretty sure he knows more about anti-grappling than a BJJ guy, thank you very much. All BJJ guys know is sport... rolling around on soft mats, with rules and stuff like that. Someone tries to take me down, I'm not going to follow any rules. All bets are off.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just checking... are we still having fun trotting out circa 2002 internet tropes? I have a lot more of them. I haven't even gotten to the self defense, glass and concrete stuff yet.
I'm unaware of the glass one. Please enlighten me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm unaware of the glass one. Please enlighten me.
Well, take your pick. BJJ guys are either asking to roll around in broken glass. Or my other one... If you try to take me down, I'm going to cut you with an improvised weapon... like a piece of broken glass. :)

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But a lot of them are too proud to do that, instead of learning new stuff, they insist on digging into the old teaching how to break the grappling.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But a lot of them are too proud to do that, instead of learning new stuff, they insist on digging into the old teaching how to break the grappling.
There is nothing wrong with this because you are still engaged in grappling. Even if you only dig down into an existing system, that process within itself requires learning new stuff. I train against BJJ but I don't learn BJJ. I learn new Jow Ga stuff. Sometimes it's simple like being mindful of the position of my thumb so that my opponent can't pry my grip. Sometimes it's more complex like learning how to use Jow Ga stances to manage weight shifts so that my opponent won't be able to throw me.

When my opponent figures out my Jow Ga then I have to apply Jow Ga in new ways. When I figure out BJJ, my sparring partner hast to apply BJJ in new ways. All of it's learning. If you are learning then you are doing something new. The entire concept of learning is that you don't know it. By default that makes it new.

By the way. The old teachings work just fine. They work well enough to frustrate my MMA partner sometimes. One of the things that my sparring partner often thanks me for is, putting him into new situations and doing things that are outside of the box for BJJ. He tried to put me in a clinched so I turned what would normally be a strike to his jaw, into stiff arm which I used to control his head. The more force he put into trying to go forward, the easier it was for me to control his head and to know which direction he wanted to go in. In short, his efforts to put me into a clinched locked him in a way that he couldn't even do a single leg or drop his stance. He could have attacked my stiff arm but that would require him to give up his attempt to clinch. Either way would give me the result that I wanted which was to prevent the clinch. In theory, I could have done a "zero inch palm strike to his jaw." and that would have given him a big jolt.

The point of this is to give an example of where I used an old traditional technique used for striking and applied it for grappling. This is an example of using an existing technique in a way that was new to me for the purpose of grappling and controlling the head.

By the way, I'll be buying my Jo sometime this week.