aerobics in MA's

J

jdam76

I just read an interesting article about aerobics and the martial arts. The author claims there is no place for aerobics in the MA's. I dont know if I agree with this. His explanation is that martial arts is all bursts of energy (like basketball) and requires explosive energy and power not so much endurance. He says why spend time trying to run 3 miles in 18 min., when you fight(in competitions) its 3 rounds each 3 min long. He said do sprints instead. I would like to know what you people think about this and maybe what some of you do for strength and conditioning. Thanks.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Being in better shape generally will help in a competeion.
Also if you do something then get a bit of a break then go do it again then get somethnig of a break and do it again your still going to get worn out so endurance helps.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think he's right to a point...there is a lot of explosiveness in martial arts...but i don't feel you should neglect training for endurance either...they each have their place and anyone that has sparred or done some randori for a while will realize the importance of endurance....

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sparring in Taekwondo and I imagine other arts that are strenuous, are both a matter of endurance and explosiveness/sprint type training. Endurance training, like running, trains long term overall, as well as kicking and jumping for at least a half hour. In order to have that explosiveness, the base has to be laid, otherwise your cardiovascular system couldn't take it. You would collapse after the first bout because you would exhaust your available glycogen and working on adrenaline only goes so far. Long term aerobic type training gives you the stamina and breathing control to not only pace yourself but train your body to work efficiently.

I used to teach cardiokickboxing and lead the class three times a week. For a fifty year old, and after doing this plus 5 other TKD classes in a week, I could outlast the twenty year olds. And because I had the extra energy, I had more available for those spurts of energy needed during sparring. The twenty year olds who barely came to class two times a week faded quickly. Not enough training. But there was one twenty-five year old that did kickboxing with me and he did become a pretty good fighter. TW

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dunno, I've won fights because I was able to outlast the other guy. I think endurance is huge in combat. He's right when he says that sparring matches are three minute rounds, but I'm not training for a sparring match, one. And two, going all out 200% for three minutes requires a huge reserve of energy. It's not like running a marathon, it's more like sprinting, but I think good physical fitness is one of the most important parts of self defense. I think you should balance your overall fitness training with short burst exercises like sprinting. Another good exercise is falling and standing as quick as you can for a few minutes. It requires alot of energy to lift yourself off the ground. You need to have a can of liquid shwartz to draw on in a flash, but you also need to be able to go the distance in case things don't end in 17 seconds.

-Rob

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Considering that sports martial artists generally train to spar/compete for timed rounds and Defense focused artists generally train for that 3-5 second intense engagement, yes I would say that the idea that martial arts APPLICATION is going to demand more explosive/short burst power generation than aerobic (running, swimming, cycling for extended periods of time - think Tour de France). But, you do have to have a certain level of aerobic fitness to be able to repeatedly create explosive bursts (rounds in matches, all out powerstriking in combinations/bursts in self defense - including running away).

I would say though that for the sake of SAFE conditioning development, a student should have some aerobic elements in training (usually independent of a class) BECAUSE the general sign of athletic aerobic fitness is that you return to/near your resting heart rate within 2 minutes of finishing some intense activity (push ups for time, sprints, sparring rounds, focus mit drills). Of course this doesn't mean that you are tapping the pads for 2 minutes and don't get your heart pounding. I am talking about all out, 100% effort exersions.

Should an instructor try to build in aerobic training during class? Maybe, but it might not be enough in frequency, duration or intensity for everyone in the class. Aerobic exercise is really something that should be encouraged, modelled in class by the instructors (I love jumping rope), and outsourced to fitness experts that can help students create a workout perscription that is right for them to avoid injury/overtraining.

There are some great on line sources for aerobic fitness evaluations that students can use to figure out if they need more aerobic training to maximize their endurance foundation which will improve their explosive potential (combined with muscle 'strength base' assessments).

OP
J

jakmak52

I do Tae Bo for cardiovascular & endurance, It's great.

Nightwish

White Belt
Reaction score
You can't fight without endurance. I say fighting (the physical part of it anyway) is 80% conditioning IMO.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Both aerobic and anaerobic endurance have their place in martial arts. If you're training for 2 to 3 minute rounds of sport fighting, you absolutely need aerobic endurance. For a real-life fight that lasts about 10 seconds to one minute, most of the energy your body uses will come from your anaerobic metabolism.

And basketball is a very aerobic sport, so if that was the author's example of an anaerobic activity, I doubt he's very well educated on the subject.

OP
A

Aaron Little

If my opponent/attacker is more skilled offensively than I, then I better hope my defense and cardio is better than his.

I tap people out all the time with my conditioning.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
jdam76 said:
I just read an interesting article about aerobics and the martial arts. The author claims there is no place for aerobics in the MA's. I dont know if I agree with this. His explanation is that martial arts is all bursts of energy (like basketball) and requires explosive energy and power not so much endurance. He says why spend time trying to run 3 miles in 18 min., when you fight(in competitions) its 3 rounds each 3 min long. He said do sprints instead. I would like to know what you people think about this and maybe what some of you do for strength and conditioning. Thanks.
Sparring, kata, and basics are a martial artists aerobic work out so to speak. That type of training conditions your body in a different way, it makes you a fighter instead of worrying about cosmetics. Just because someone has a ripped six pack does not mean they can take a punch in the stomach, get plowed with a medicine ball and do conditioning drills where your partner punches you 30 times in the gut. That is a martial artists workout, not cosmetics, dont get the two confused because they are very different. The muscles are worked and conditioned in a whole new and different way.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Both aerobic and anaerobic endurance have their place in martial arts. If you're training for 2 to 3 minute rounds of sport fighting, you absolutely need aerobic endurance. For a real-life fight that lasts about 10 seconds to one minute, most of the energy your body uses will come from your anaerobic metabolism.

And basketball is a very aerobic sport, so if that was the author's example of an anaerobic activity, I doubt he's very well educated on the subject.
Basket ball is NOT considered aerobic activity. Aerobic activitie is running, swimming - for endurance/distance, cycling and such. Activities that require that you get your hr up and keep it up (figure at least 60% of your max hr as a minimum for the sake of argument) and maintain that hr for relatively long stretches of time (5k runs, time trials, marathons....) are considered aerobic. Basically any activity that is going to draw on oxygen as your primary source of energy.

Yes, your hr will be up and body core temp will maintain an elevated level, but it is not aerobic activity because it is not required that you maintain that 'aerobic' level of hr at all times. It is considered anaerobic by the strictest use of the term. Because of the constant explosive bursts up and down the court, the multidirectional power transfer and the 'scrum' element that burn other than oxygen as the primary energy source.

That said, I would say that having a solid aerobic base is a sound practice for any athletic activity.

There are VO2 max tests and work to rest hr tests that can be used to evaluate your aerobic fitness - from that you can target whether you need to do more aerobic development or not.

Latest Discussions