MA vs MA

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used an old traditional technique used for striking and applied it for grappling.
The issue is many grapplers don't train striking. It's not that easy to obtain a clinch in a fists flying situation.

You can train wrestling all your life, you still won't have enough experience to deal with a head punch. If you can knock your opponent out before he can take you down, you don't have to worry about his takedown skill.

Here is an example that my long fist teacher explained a move used in a striking art form that can be applied in anti-grappling.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with this because you are still engaged in grappling. Even if you only dig down into an existing system, that process within itself requires learning new stuff. I train against BJJ but I don't learn BJJ. I learn new Jow Ga stuff. Sometimes it's simple like being mindful of the position of my thumb so that my opponent can't pry my grip. Sometimes it's more complex like learning how to use Jow Ga stances to manage weight shifts so that my opponent won't be able to throw me.

When my opponent figures out my Jow Ga then I have to apply Jow Ga in new ways. When I figure out BJJ, my sparring partner hast to apply BJJ in new ways. All of it's learning. If you are learning then you are doing something new. The entire concept of learning is that you don't know it. By default that makes it new.

By the way. The old teachings work just fine. They work well enough to frustrate my MMA partner sometimes. One of the things that my sparring partner often thanks me for is, putting him into new situations and doing things that are outside of the box for BJJ. He tried to put me in a clinched so I turned what would normally be a strike to his jaw, into stiff arm which I used to control his head. The more force he put into trying to go forward, the easier it was for me to control his head and to know which direction he wanted to go in. In short, his efforts to put me into a clinched locked him in a way that he couldn't even do a single leg or drop his stance. He could have attacked my stiff arm but that would require him to give up his attempt to clinch. Either way would give me the result that I wanted which was to prevent the clinch. In theory, I could have done a "zero inch palm strike to his jaw." and that would have given him a big jolt.

The point of this is to give an example of where I used an old traditional technique used for striking and applied it for grappling. This is an example of using an existing technique in a way that was new to me for the purpose of grappling and controlling the head.

By the way, I'll be buying my Jo sometime this week.
This why I don't talk here anymore, it's so easy to learn the best of other style instead of pulling hair to search what's in the classic stuff to break the puzzle of BJJ and wrestling. It's the PRIDE that gets in the way.

I know, people here said I don't know enough to talk, but I have eyes to see. I really hope Chinese Kung Fu can get back the glory days in Bruce Lee's days. But keep up like this, it's been over 30 years. Still .......PARDON ME TO SAY "it's the bud of the joke".

Sad thing is Chinese Kung Fu spend more time trashing other styles, blame on the rules instead to be humble and LEARN. Excuses after excuses.

That's enough before I permanently banned. I don't post here much anymore here.

Yes, I don't know enough, I have no grounds to talk here.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The issue is many grapplers don't train striking. It's not that easy to obtain a clinch in a fists flying situation.

You can train wrestling all your life, you still won't have enough experience to deal with a head punch. If you can knock your opponent out before he can take you down, you don't have to worry about his takedown skill.

Here is an example that my long fist teacher explained a move used in a striking art form can be applied in grappling.

The strike at 1:33 is the one that I used for grappling.. As soon as I was able to get the inside position that hand went straight for his jaw and I left it there. The more he tried to advance the easier it was for me to lock that position. His body can't leave without his head so it was easy to know what he was going to do.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This why I don't talk here anymore, it's so easy to learn the best of other style instead of pulling hair to search what's in the classic stuff to break the puzzle of BJJ and wrestling. It's the PRIDE that gets in the way.
I don't pull my hair. It's not frustrating. The technique that I used only took me one try to get it correct. I nailed it on the first try and that's probably because I dig deep into what I train which helps me to better understand it.

BJJ actually developed in the same manner. The Gracies didn't leave BJJ because another system had better striking. They dug deep within BJJ and learn how to use the techniques of BJJ and apply them against other systems. They didn't abandon BJJ.

Pride has nothing to do with how I train. I'm all about improving what I already know and learning how to use that knowledge in new ways. People who hop around from one thing to the next never stay long to develop an existing system.

Old techniques applied in new ways turns into this. You dig down in your art. This is me and Jow Ga

This is what happens when a person takes the piano and borrow from the guitar because guitar players look cooler.

This is what happens when a person digs down into the piano and applies old techniques in a new way.

Don't be the person who buys the Keytar. Be the person who digs deep into the art and applies those old skills in ways that people didn't think were possible.

Even MMA fighters understand the value of the old techniques.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sad thing is Chinese Kung Fu spend more time trashing other styles, blame on the rules instead to be humble and LEARN. Excuses after excuses.
There's a lot of kung fu people in this forum and I don't remember seeing many of them trashing other styles. I think you are looking at a very small percentage of people. I know the people you are talking about and the people I know who train kung fu wouldn't and haven't made up excuses like "the sun was in my eyes." or "he had his tongue on the top of his mouth which is why my technique didn't work." The people I've sparred with all dig deep in their martial art.

The people that you talk about make up a small percentage of Kung Fu practitioners. MMA vs Kung Fu masters.

This is traditional martial arts. Spend more time looking at people who train traditional martial arts like this

Ignore people who train like this. Why would you see this as what kung fu is? Do you not accept the video above as kung fu? If all you know of kung fu and are willing to accept about kung fu is in the video below, then Kung Fu will never be great for you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm unaware of the glass one. Please enlighten me.
You don't know the ground is lava?
The guy I learned from is an 8th degree ninja and self defense expert from Perth. I'm pretty sure he knows more about anti-grappling than a BJJ guy, thank you very much. All BJJ guys know is sport... rolling around on soft mats, with rules and stuff like that. Someone tries to take me down, I'm not going to follow any rules. All bets are off.
Exactly. BJJ doesn't take in to account how really, really angry I will become if they try to hold me in a submission. I won't just Tap. I am not playing for points. I play for keeps.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's a lot of kung fu people in this forum and I don't remember seeing many of them trashing other styles. I think you are looking at a very small percentage of people. I know the people you are talking about and the people I know who train kung fu wouldn't and haven't made up excuses like "the sun was in my eyes." or "he had his tongue on the top of his mouth which is why my technique didn't work." The people I've sparred with all dig deep in their martial art.

The people that you talk about make up a small percentage of Kung Fu practitioners. MMA vs Kung Fu masters.

This is traditional martial arts. Spend more time looking at people who train traditional martial arts like this

Ignore people who train like this. Why would you see this as what kung fu is? Do you not accept the video above as kung fu? If all you know of kung fu and are willing to accept about kung fu is in the video below, then Kung Fu will never be great for you.
If I were younger, I definitely go learn BJJ, I know my kick boxing won't stand a chance no matter how hard I try. I am NOT going to practice all the footwork hoping I can move away from the shoot while I can easily learn take down defense from BJJ or MMA.

Like people said already, all fights last longer end up on the ground in real fight.

I better not response anymore before I get banned, I still might need help on the stick fight here in the future.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NOT going to practice all the footwork hoping I can move away from the shoot while I can easily learn take down defense from BJJ or MMA.
This Plus this

I better not response anymore before I get banned, I still might need help on the stick fight here in the future.
Is going to be interesting. Good thing you don't have to practice footwork lol

Like people said already, all fights last longer end up on the ground in real fight.

Did they?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In another thread someone alluded to some kind of recent comparison of MMA fights vs a sample of like 200 street fights.
oh.. that post. I stopped reading it when I saw "sample of street fights" simply because there are so many variables that would make the sample useless. The biggest being the skill level of the people fighting and the reason why they were fighting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
oh.. that post. I stopped reading it when I saw "sample of street fights" simply because there are so many variables that would make the sample useless. The biggest being the skill level of the people fighting and the reason why they were fighting.
Yeah, my reaction was to start brainstorming how I might control some of those variables in my own study. @Monkey Turned Wolf rained on my parade a little with his "academic rigor" and "good suggestions". In the end, I think we landed on a working partnership where I secure the money and he does all the work, and then in the end we both bask in the adulation of our academic peers. That's how I recall it, at least.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, my reaction was to start brainstorming how I might control some of those variables in my own study. @Monkey Turned Wolf rained on my parade a little with his "academic rigor" and "good suggestions". In the end, I think we landed on a working partnership where I secure the money and he does all the work, and then in the end we both bask in the adulation of our academic peers. That's how I recall it, at least.
Sounds about right.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Isn't that called street beefs?

Latest Discussions