ma notebooks

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a journal that use to keep track of what I teach at each practice and what went well or went badly. I used to have a box full of index cards that I used to write down techniques as I was learning them. I put them on file on my computer several years ago. *sigh* I kinda miss the index cards though...
icon9.gif

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a journal, video tapes of seminars and downloads form any kenpo/kempo websites that post ther material. I like comparing/trying ever option that others have tried. I enjoy blending my material with the material of others. It is alos nice to have something to reference down the road.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Instead of a journal, I wrote each technique on an index card and kept the cards in a recipe box. I created tabs so I could catagorize them according to attack. On the blank side of the cards I drew diagrams if they were needed to help clarify anything.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always bring a notebook to class and seminars. I don't make notes in it every single class but it has proven an invaluable tool when needed.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been keeping notes for years and find them an essential part of my learning process. It is great for forms as it forces me to imagine through the form after the fact and capture informaiton about transitions and body mechanics. For techniques it is essential! I have developed some short-hand notations to try and capture things like foot and hand position but ultimately good prose is the best way to capture it.

We also encourage our students to be taking notes and I like to lead by example by making notes after class and letting the other students see my notebook. The younger students are particularly impressed and I think for them it reinforces the idea that good note-taking is not a silly skill that only teachers in school want you to have. *smile*

Rob

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the organization I belong to, keeping a portfolio is a part of the training starting at white belt. In it is a training log, goal setting pages, places for photos, memories, autographs & a lot of other neat things. At first I though it was going to be a pain keeping records of all of these things. But now I see how helpful it is for me. My students like doing it, too.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We always have training manuels, as well as many new updates of our techniques.

Besides a journel...you may want to collect any outside information from magazines articles,new articles, and so on. Today the collection of many articles has fill more than one folder...great to go back and read all those great information from many masters and martial artist.

Able to share with many students today..........Aloha

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I keep a notebook because it helps "cement" things that I just learned. I have a book with my forms in it, but it really helps if I write it down myself- I can visualize it better.