Looking for music recommendations to make a dance form to

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My Taekwondo demonstration team does forms to music, which are basically a hybrid between a dance and a Taekwondo form. My Master has told me I need to make a new form, and I'm stuck on step one: picking out the music.

A big part of my problem is the music that I know and listen to won't work for a demonstration team consisting mostly of kids. Something tells me Drowning Pool - Bodies or Disturbed - Indestructible won't really fly.

I've been looking at dance music and action soundtracks. The problem I'm having is most of the music I find has one of these flaws:
  1. It's way too repetitive (there's no slow or fast parts in the beat)
  2. There's no consistent beat to lock in on
  3. There's no intro (goes along with #1)
  4. The intro is too long and it takes too long to build up to do a form to
  5. It doesn't have the right feel (too happy or too sad, I need something strong or energetic)
In particular, I'm looking for stuff where the lead instrument is percussive, and where there's enough of a beat to follow, but where it also has enough variety that it doesn't get monotonous.

Does anyone have some ideas for me?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Write your own music. That way it'll match the dance perfectly.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This should work. Good strong beat, variation in intensity and tone between the verses and a solo in the middle to do some crazy moves to. I guarantee this form will be remembered...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did a freestyle to Going Under by Evanesence.
Eye of the Tiger is always a classic,
Or you could try Mulan 'I'll make a man out of you' ^_^
Mortal Combat is always a good choice.

I am not sure what your beef is with Indestructable? I have it on the loop (three albums) at the moment myself. LAnd of confusion might work, I like the angry Disturbed version, but Genesis did it nice as well. Sound of Silence.
If you like it a little more heavy, you can look at Sixx AM, they have a few nice ones, 'This is gonna hurt' or 'Rise' spring to mind.
We did a demo once, the younger instructors did their form to Paradise city, Guns and Roses.

ETA: In a body of work spanning 14 years, Two Steps From Hell should have a suitable piece, most are short, so you can combine many

And don't forget: there is Audacity to edit your selection!

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Write your own music. That way it'll match the dance perfectly.

I'm taking guitar/bass/theory lessons for that express purpose. I'm not there yet. Only been playing a year and a half, and that's starting with absolutely ZERO concept of rhythm, and practicing around my work and martial arts schedules.

I did a freestyle to Going Under by Evanesence.
Eye of the Tiger is always a classic,
Or you could try Mulan 'I'll make a man out of you' ^_^
Mortal Combat is always a good choice.

I am not sure what your beef is with Indestructable? I have it on the loop (three albums) at the moment myself. LAnd of confusion might work, I like the angry Disturbed version, but Genesis did it nice as well. Sound of Silence.
If you like it a little more heavy, you can look at Sixx AM, they have a few nice ones, 'This is gonna hurt' or 'Rise' spring to mind.
We did a demo once, the younger instructors did their form to Paradise city, Guns and Roses.

ETA: In a body of work spanning 14 years, Two Steps From Hell should have a suitable piece, most are short, so you can combine many

And don't forget: there is Audacity to edit your selection!

Well, for one, I don't think the rest of the team are into that kind of music. For another, the song starts with helicopters, sirens, and gunfire, and this is going to be the event at our family picnic. It just doesn't seem to fit.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, for one, I don't think the rest of the team are into that kind of music. For another, the song starts with helicopters, sirens, and gunfire, and this is going to be the event at our family picnic. It just doesn't seem to fit.

Considering that it is an American Christmas tradition to watch Midway and Pearl Harbor during the Holidays...
It's 'Martial Arts' not daisy picking.
Again: Audacity.
Much can be done with a little creative editing.

And there is another oldy but goody: Kung Fu Fighting.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My Taekwondo demonstration team does forms to music, which are basically a hybrid between a dance and a Taekwondo form. My Master has told me I need to make a new form, and I'm stuck on step one: picking out the music.

A big part of my problem is the music that I know and listen to won't work for a demonstration team consisting mostly of kids. Something tells me Drowning Pool - Bodies or Disturbed - Indestructible won't really fly.

I've been looking at dance music and action soundtracks. The problem I'm having is most of the music I find has one of these flaws:
  5. It doesn't have the right feel (too happy or too sad, I need something strong or energetic)
In particular, I'm looking for stuff where the lead instrument is percussive, and where there's enough of a beat to follow, but where it also has enough variety that it doesn't get monotonous.

Sounds of Kung Fu by Tak Wah Eng

If you needed one for humor use the benny hill theme.

Everybody Dance Now by C&C DanceMachine

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm taking guitar/bass/theory lessons for that express purpose. I'm not there yet. Only been playing a year and a half, and that's starting with absolutely ZERO concept of rhythm, and practicing around my work and martial arts schedules.

What genre are you looking for? And with lyrics or instrumental?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most not what you’re looking for, but you never know...

Metallica - Orion. Instrumental, intro, tempo changes, etc.

Slayer - Raining Blood. Intro, fast pace, and really badass.

Motörhead - Damage Case. I always thought this would be a great kata or demo song due to the fast beat. The song Overkill too, although I think Damafe Case would be better.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that karate with music is just wrong. But hey to each their own. @skribs your music selection dilemma seems to me like you need help from DJ who can do mixing. It would be custom piece with all the requirements you need. They will mix tracks and beats and even have an intro of your choice. They can even insert an overall drum track to keep a steady beat.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Motörhead - Damage Case. I always thought this would be a great kata or demo song due to the fast beat. The song Overkill too, although I think Damafe Case would be better.

Metallica?....Slayer?....Motorhead?.......

giphy.gif

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Lindsey Stirling has alot of good songs you can sample

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Orion takes too long unless I mix it.

My personal opinion is that karate with music is just wrong. But hey to each their own. @skribs your music selection dilemma seems to me like you need help from DJ who can do mixing. It would be custom piece with all the requirements you need. They will mix tracks and beats and even have an intro of your choice. They can even insert an overall drum track to keep a steady beat.

Well good thing we do TKD instead of Karate!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orion takes too long unless I mix it.

Well good thing we do TKD instead of Karate!
My first thought was “then mix it.” Then reality hit me and I asked myself why I would ever tell anyone to mess with that song.

Latest Discussions