Looking for feedback on my exercise routine

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
You’re doing great! Stay focused on slow & steady.

Good luck!

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Obviously, I don't want to be losing much muscle when I am losing weight. That's why I made sure to have a day of weights and other days of
Since you're asking for feedback from random internet strangers, here's my contribution.

Your plan seems sensible. As jobo said, diet is the big mover of weight (up and down). Try not to lose weight too fast; 1% of bodyweight per week is a common standard. Keep your expectations low for muscle gain while you are "cutting" as the bodybuilders etc. put it. Once you've hit your target weight, you should revisit your goals (e.g., if you still want to add muscle).

Whatever you do, make sure it includes "elbow sandwich" and "front chicken kick.":)
That makes sense. So first, lose weight, then focus more on the muscle building. I'm just. hoping to make my thighs and hips a bit smaller too.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Losing weight is all about constant self-assessment. Increasing physical activity and intensity, and eating and drinking right. People sometimes loose sight of what they’re drinking. Other than water, beverages have calories too.

Ask any competent personal trainer, and they’ll tell you proper diet is far more important than exercise. That doesn’t mean exercise is insignificant by any means; it means that no matter how hard you work out, if you’re not eating right, you’re not going to get the results you’re looking for. You can only work out so hard for so long and so often before you overdo it.

If you’re using a scale as your guideline, be consistent with using it. Just getting on a scale whenever the mood strikes you isn’t going to tell you anything significant. What you wear, how much you ate and drank, etc. prior to getting on the scale all impacts what that scale’s going to say. The best way to do it is to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, right after you’ve gone to the bathroom and without any clothes on. That way there’s minimal variation. A great example of it is I was working on losing weight several years ago. I weighed myself like I described above, and I weighed 198 lbs. That number sticks out because it was the first time I was under 200 lbs in about 15 years. I got dressed, ate breakfast, and went to my doctor for my annual physical about an hour later. I was 209 lbs. Clothes and shoes; keys, cell phone, and wallet in my pockets; and a light breakfast and a few pints of water in my stomach all added up in the hour and a half in between weigh ins. I didn’t realistically gain 11 lbs in an hour and a half. Same thing happened a few months ago, only I wasn’t trying to lose weight; I was 16 lbs heavier at 4:00 pm than 7:30 am. And yes, my scale is pretty accurate.

What’s a far better indicator is body fat percentage if you can get someone knowledgeable to do it. The next best thing is to measure yourself at specific places. Use anatomical landmarks and be consistent.

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
Losing weight is all about constant self-assessment. Increasing physical activity and intensity, and eating and drinking right. People sometimes loose sight of what they’re drinking. Other than water, beverages have calories too.

Ask any competent personal trainer, and they’ll tell you proper diet is far more important than exercise. That doesn’t mean exercise is insignificant by any means; it means that no matter how hard you work out, if you’re not eating right, you’re not going to get the results you’re looking for. You can only work out so hard for so long and so often before you overdo it.

If you’re using a scale as your guideline, be consistent with using it. Just getting on a scale whenever the mood strikes you isn’t going to tell you anything significant. What you wear, how much you ate and drank, etc. prior to getting on the scale all impacts what that scale’s going to say. The best way to do it is to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, right after you’ve gone to the bathroom and without any clothes on. That way there’s minimal variation. A great example of it is I was working on losing weight several years ago. I weighed myself like I described above, and I weighed 198 lbs. That number sticks out because it was the first time I was under 200 lbs in about 15 years. I got dressed, ate breakfast, and went to my doctor for my annual physical about an hour later. I was 209 lbs. Clothes and shoes; keys, cell phone, and wallet in my pockets; and a light breakfast and a few pints of water in my stomach all added up in the hour and a half in between weigh ins. I didn’t realistically gain 11 lbs in an hour and a half. Same thing happened a few months ago, only I wasn’t trying to lose weight; I was 16 lbs heavier at 4:00 pm than 7:30 am. And yes, my scale is pretty accurate.

What’s a far better indicator is body fat percentage if you can get someone knowledgeable to do it. The next best thing is to measure yourself at specific places. Use anatomical landmarks and be consistent.

I become really obsessive with the scale so I only use it like you said, first thing in the morning. I've also noticed like a 4-5lb weight fluctuation between morning and evening when I have weighed myself multiple times in the same day.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think you should ever weigh in. But If you really feel the need to weigh yourself, weigh yourself only in the morning before you eat or drink anything, and weigh yourself naked. This way you have a benchmark for your progress. Weigh in's should be consistent.
And remember...I'm 'watching' you :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I become really obsessive with the scale so I only use it like you said, first thing in the morning. I've also noticed like a 4-5lb weight fluctuation between morning and evening when I have weighed myself multiple times in the same day.
That will be the gallon of water your drinking

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think you should ever weigh in. But If you really feel the need to weigh yourself, weigh yourself only in the morning before you eat or drink anything, and weigh yourself naked. This way you have a benchmark for your progress. Weigh in's should be consistent.
And remember...I'm 'watching' you :D
Weighing in isn’t inherently bad. It’s one part of the puzzle, not the be all, end all a lot of people make it out to be.

If you’re using it in conjunction with monitoring your strength gains and/or losses, body fat percentage, etc. it’s a great tool.

I was paying close attention to my scale several years back. I was working out pretty hard and eating right. My clothes kept getting smaller, but my weight on the scale was only fluctuating within about 3 pounds. What did that tell me? I was losing body fat and gaining muscle. All my strength training exercises increased and got easier - amount of pull-ups, push-ups, dips, etc.

The scale gives honest feedback like all other measurements and statistics do. The catch is you need to know how to interpret the feedback, just like every other data set. It can easily help you determine if what you’re doing is working or not if you’re using the correctly and in conjunction with other relevant data.

Regardless of what ANY means of assessing the effects of exercise tell you, the most important important one is how you feel. If you’re consistently feeling better physically and emotionally, you’re accomplishing your goals. If you’re over-tired, hurtling (not normal soreness and fatigue), etc., something’s off, regardless of the data.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Weighing in isn’t inherently bad. It’s one part of the puzzle, not the be all, end all a lot of people make it out to be.

If you’re using it in conjunction with monitoring your strength gains and/or losses, body fat percentage, etc. it’s a great tool.

I was paying close attention to my scale several years back. I was working out pretty hard and eating right. My clothes kept getting smaller, but my weight on the scale was only fluctuating within about 3 pounds. What did that tell me? I was losing body fat and gaining muscle. All my strength training exercises increased and got easier - amount of pull-ups, push-ups, dips, etc.

The scale gives honest feedback like all other measurements and statistics do. The catch is you need to know how to interpret the feedback, just like every other data set. It can easily help you determine if what you’re doing is working or not if you’re using the correctly and in conjunction with other relevant data.

Regardless of what ANY means of assessing the effects of exercise tell you, the most important important one is how you feel. If you’re consistently feeling better physically and emotionally, you’re accomplishing your goals. If you’re over-tired, hurtling (not normal soreness and fatigue), etc., something’s off, regardless of the data.
People went through the body composition thing eArlier in the thread, the oP, is not accepting of it as a concept, having picked an arbitrary weigh She want to achieve, in order to be " not fat"

OP, science time, fat goes on very very slowly and comes off very slowly, nothing on earth will speed it up Drastically, other than putting yourself in to ketosis, which is not a nice place to be,,,,, realistically, you looking at loOsing an ounce oZ or two a day,. that's a couple of thimble full

Mean while your body weight is fluctuating by several pounds, day to day hour to hour, it's impossible to measure weight loss everyday, even if you are losing it every day, it just gets lost in the fluctuation, it's completely futile to measure it several times a day,

Over measurement can have a deMotivation effect, I Know I've seen it, you need long term measurement, at the most weekly, same time, . That way, thoseOunces add up and you actually have something to measure, if your not showing something like 3or 4pounds lost over a month, then you may need to consider if your made up at home diet is appropriate

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People went through the body composition thing eArlier in the thread, the oP, is not accepting of it as a concept, having picked an arbitrary weigh She want to achieve, in order to be " not fat"

OP, science time, fat goes on very very slowly and comes off very slowly, nothing on earth will speed it up Drastically, other than putting yourself in to ketosis, which is not a nice place to be,,,,, realistically, you looking at loOsing an ounce oZ or two a day,. that's a couple of thimble full

Mean while your body weight is fluctuating by several pounds, day to day hour to hour, it's impossible to measure weight loss everyday, even if you are losing it every day, it just gets lost in the fluctuation, it's completely futile to measure it several times a day,

Over measurement can have a deMotivation effect, I Know I've seen it, you need long term measurement, at the most weekly, same time, . That way, thoseOunces add up and you actually have something to measure, if your not showing something like 3or 4pounds lost over a month, then you may need to consider if your made up at home diet is appropriate
I know we discussed body composition earlier because I discussed it earlier. In fact, I might’ve been the first one to use the words body fat %. I was stating an argument contrary to the one I quoted, which basically said a scale is useless.

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know the number on the scale isn't the most important thing but it is a significant goal. I want to weigh 125lbs but I also want to be less fatty and more muscular. My god damned scale battery broke so now that needs to bw replaced. Maybe this week or so of not being able to weigh myself will prove beneficial. Because I do drive myself crazy with obsessively weighing myself every single morning.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know the number on the scale isn't the most important thing but it is a significant goal. I want to weigh 125lbs but I also want to be less fatty and more muscular. My god damned scale battery broke so now that needs to bw replaced. Maybe this week or so of not being able to weigh myself will prove beneficial. Because I do drive myself crazy with obsessively weighing myself every single morning.
Limit yourself to once a week. I liked doing a Friday morning weigh-in. But resist the temptation to do anything different the day before to give you an extra advantage.

Latest Discussions