Looking for feedback on my exercise routine

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd like some feedback on my routine. I've been doing it since Monday so far, and I feel good physically, I can tell it's a challenge but I'm not exhausted either. I did my best to incorporate my MA material as a form of cardio too.
I don't do it all at once but usually half in the morning and half later on in the day or evening.
My goal is to get better cardio endurance and lose 12 pounds/build lean muscle and burn fat.
Anything else I should be incorporating? I'm not in the greatest shape so I know this doesn't seem like much exercise but, it's a challenge to me at my level right now.
Thanks everyone.
PS I've also been eating healthier for a while now and I drink almost a gallon of water most days and I stretch after my morning workout.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway. Plus one minus one.

Keep adding some sort of activity you don't normally do. And keep removing some sort of crap food you normally eat.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My goal is to get better cardio endurance and lose 12 pounds/build lean muscle

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ;)

Ignore the 12lb weight loss. Disregard it entirely. Throw your scales out the window then go and hit them with a hammer. Then bury them. Then dig them up and set fire to them. Then bury them again.

I do have an actual reason for this, I'm not just being silly here...

If your goal is to hit a weight then that's all fine and dandy, but you also want to build better muscle tone - which is fundamentally at odds with pure weight loss.

Fat is light. Fat doesn't hold water.

Muscle fibres are heavier than fat cells for the same volume, they also hold water which makes them even heavier.

You may be looking at what a BMI chart says, or remembering what you weighed at some point in the past - stop it.

BMI charts are only good for absolutely average build people who do little exercise. A lot of professional rugby players are theoretically morbidly obese if you only take height and weight into account.

If it's what you used to weigh - how was your muscle tone at that point?

So, you could put in all the effort, build the muscle and burn the fat but your scales will be saying that you've lost no weight, or even gained.

It's a self defeating way of tracking progress, unless all you're doing is cutting.

As a personal example compared to 3 ish years ago - my fitness has improved (so cardio is better), I've lost 2" off my waist measurement, I feel better in myself, I have more coordination and control.

I'm heavier.

So, ditch the scales.

Equip yourself instead with a mirror, and maybe a tape measure.

Edit to add: your bones will be getting denser too, which also adds weight...

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know it’s tough at first but keep it up. It’ll get easier then you’ll need to increase the intensity of your workouts.

Don’t fuss about your weight just yet. Just keep focusing on your cardio. As Pdg said, it’s self defeating to focus solely on weight alone. Do take a measure of your body parts and record it so that you can keep track of your progress.

Good luck!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ignore the 12lb weight loss. Disregard it entirely. Throw your scales out the window then go and hit them with a hammer. Then bury them. Then dig them up and set fire to them. Then bury them again.

If your goal is to hit a weight then that's all fine and dandy, but you also want to build better muscle tone - which is fundamentally at odds with pure weight loss.

Muscle fibres are heavier than fat cells for the same volume, they also hold water which makes them even heavier.

You may be looking at what a BMI chart says, or remembering what you weighed at some point in the past - stop it.

BMI charts are only good for absolutely average build people who do little exercise. A lot of professional rugby players are theoretically morbidly obese if you only take height and weight into account.

So, you could put in all the effort, build the muscle and burn the fat but your scales will be saying that you've lost no weight, or even gained.

It's a self defeating way of tracking progress, unless all you're doing is cutting.

As a personal example compared to 3 ish years ago - my fitness has improved (so cardio is better), I've lost 2" off my waist measurement, I feel better in myself, I have more coordination and control.

I'm heavier.

So, ditch the scales.

I'd agree entirely with this ∆∆∆∆.

But then add, whilst your goals are not really contradictory, a good exercise program will do all three to varying amounts, the exercises that are best for each and different from each other, so you need to prioritize them and then focus on one specific goal, , you can change it round in two or three months.

People become demotivated, if they are putting lots of time\effort in and not seeing much in the way of results, so what you measure , how you measure it and what you view as success is vitally important to you continuing to give your all.

Generally it's better to start, with increase in performance as your main goal,( Not just cardio but everthing,ie faster, stronger Higher further,longer) as if your starting from a low base, your more or less guaranteed to see good improvements in the short term which will Boost your desire to do more.

Post up your program it's not that hard to watch a file, and which if your three goals are most important to you

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
A little additional info about using weight as a goal...

There are situations where what I said above isn't entirely applicable.

One of those is if you're grossly overweight due to fat.

The target mentioned of 12lb doesn't say that to me though, 12lb really isn't a lot (it's roughly about what I've gained while getting slimmer for instance).

If however the goal was to lose 120+lb say, then yeah, attack the weight first - that's carrying around nearly an extra person...

If you're a shade flabby here and there, a bit of a belly and that sort of thing, then weight shouldn't be a motivator if you're also wanting to add/tone muscle.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd like some feedback on my routine. I've been doing it since Monday so far, and I feel good physically, I can tell it's a challenge but I'm not exhausted either. I did my best to incorporate my MA material as a form of cardio too.
I don't do it all at once but usually half in the morning and half later on in the day or evening.
My goal is to get better cardio endurance and lose 12 pounds/build lean muscle and burn fat.
Anything else I should be incorporating? I'm not in the greatest shape so I know this doesn't seem like much exercise but, it's a challenge to me at my level right now.
Thanks everyone.
PS I've also been eating healthier for a while now and I drink almost a gallon of water most days and I stretch after my morning workout.
Can you all view the file I uploaded?
No joy.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
Nd I'm not at all sure a gallon of water a day is all that healthy, even allowing that a U.S. Gallon is a couple of pInts short of a proper gallon, your likely to end up with a water inDuced beer belly,And reduced electrolyte,,, if thirsty drink, if not dont, two or even three pints is plenty unless you walking across a desert

Not thirsty and clearIsh wee, equally good hydration

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nd I'm not at all sure a gallon of water a day is all that healthy, even allowing that a U.S. Gallon is a couple of pInts short of a proper gallon, your likely to end up with a water inDuced beer belly,And reduced electrolyte,,, if thirsty drink, if not dont, two or even three pints is plenty unless you walking across a desert

Not thirsty and clearIsh wee, equally good hydration
It surprises me as well but the FDA and most other professional organizations recommend 8 glasses/pints per day which is a U.S. gallon. But that would include all liquids (except alcohol) per day.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It surprises me as well but the FDA and most other professional organizations recommend 8 glasses/pints per day which is a U.S. gallon. But that would include all liquids (except alcohol) per day.
This is why then invented the metric syatemr, a U.S. Gallon is 6UK pints, of 3/4 of a UK gallon, however that's still a he'll of a lot of water and far more than most people need,

There been some think of an exposure in the UK press about GOVernment web siTESrecommending similar amounts, with eminent dr,saying it's based on no science at all or worse studies paid for by the bottled water industry,

Your either dehydrated or your not, I your not what ever amount your drinking is sufficiently,you need enough to replenish what you lose through sweat, what goes through drinking diuretics, and enough to flush the toxins out of your system, that's a he'll of a lot less than a gallon, unless your drinking tons of alcohol and sweating buckets. clear wee and your fine

If can actually be dangerous, as when you sweat a lot, you lose sodium, when you drink a lot of water you dilute the sodium you have left, which can make you I'll or even dead. Sports drinks that have electrolyte( salt) in them are far better for you or excersise refreshment, or just put plenty of salt on your fries, an argument I've been having first with my mother and then my other half for years, put some flipping salt in the veg will you, it's good for you

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why then invented the metric syatemr, a U.S. Gallon is 6UK pints, of 3/4 of a UK gallon, however that's still a he'll of a lot of water and far more than most people need,

There been some think of an exposure in the UK press about GOVernment web siTESrecommending similar amounts, with eminent dr,saying it's based on no science at all or worse studies paid for by the bottled water industry,

Your either dehydrated or your not, I your not what ever amount your drinking is sufficiently,you need enough to replenish what you lose through sweat, what goes through drinking diuretics, and enough to flush the toxins out of your system, that's a he'll of a lot less than a gallon, unless your drinking tons of alcohol and sweating buckets. clear wee and your fine

If can actually be dangerous, as when you sweat a lot, you lose sodium, when you drink a lot of water you dilute the sodium you have left, which can make you I'll or even dead. Sports drinks that have electrolyte( salt) in them are far better for you or excersise refreshment, or just put plenty of salt on your fries, an argument I've been having first with my mother and then my other half for years, put some flipping salt in the veg will you, it's good for you
Trust me in the southeast and deep south U.S. regions, a gallon it fine and sometimes not enough.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trust me in the southeast and deep south U.S. regions, a gallon it fine and sometimes not enough.
You possible didn't read my post,? If you replenishing water list through sweat, a) a gallon of faR to much, no one sweats a gallon a day unless they are running a marathon or some such long strenuous excersise and b) it's harmful to replace lost electrolyte with Pure water if you are sweating profusely,

a significant amount of distance runners are found to have dangerously low,sodium levels through a )_sweating and b) drinking lotsofwater, which is possibly why they keep falling over near the finish line

However if they are living on fries and burgers with a high sodium content, they will probably be ok, the more health obsessed you are over diet, the more of a problem it can be. But it's wrong to just suggest a blanket amount is required with no notice of climate , diet or activity levels

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You possible didn't read my post,? If you replenishing water list through sweat, a) a gallon of faR to much, no one sweats a gallon a day unless they are running a marathon or some such long strenuous excersise and b) it's harmful to replace lost electrolyte with Pure water if you are sweating profusely,

a significant amount of distance runners are found to have dangerously low,sodium levels through a )_sweating and b) drinking lotsofwater, which is possibly why they keep falling over near the finish line

However if they are living on fries and burgers with a high sodium content, they will probably be ok, the more health obsessed you are over diet, the more of a problem it can be. But it's wrong to just suggest a blanket amount is required with no notice of climate , diet or activity levels
The average person will lose 25 to 50 ounces of fluid per hour when exercising. It is much easier than you think to sweat a gallon of water in a day. Try putting an asphalt shingle roof on a house in 100 degree weather.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The average person will lose 25 to 50 ounces of fluid per hour when exercising. It is much easier than you think to sweat a gallon of water in a day. Try putting an asphalt shingle roof on a house in 100 degree weather.
That's a meaningless statistic, which average person exactly and what sort of EXCERSICE ? Someone who is AGGRESSIVLY exERCISING can shiFT about a litre an hour, the AVERAGE person can't aggressively exercise for an hour, they certainly canT do so for 4hours which would be required to go through a gallon of fluid,

But my point still remains if you are,supER fit and manage to aggressively pursue exercise for 4hours ,and manage to shift your gallon, do NOT dRINK water to replenish the lOST fluid or you will make your self ill,

The guidance applies to all, in all climates, if you can make a case for a roofer in a heat wave in Alabama, that DOESNT make the guidance right for peoples who work in offices in alaska and don't exercise, or people who work in AC, offices in Alabama for that matter

Last edited:
OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score

I'm heavier.

So, ditch the scales.

I wish it was that easy. But I have a specific number I want to weigh because that's when I feel the best about my body.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish it was that easy. But I have a specific number I want to weigh because that's when I feel the best about my body.
As Pdg,said that's silly, If as is quite possible in say 12/ 18, months you replace 12lbs of fat with 12 pounds of muscle, you are going to weigh the same, but your body will look completely different, nice flat belly and big shoulders, you will undoubtedly feel better about you body at that point,,,

Last edited: