Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to say, you all know how much I am against people learning or training Wing Chun on their own or by way of the internet, DVD’s, videos, etc, rather than finding a qualified instructor. It truly is the worst way to learn. I know sometimes it’s not possible to find a qualified Sifu. But learning WC without guidance is bad for the people involved and bad for the reputation of our art and our own reputations (teachers of WC). It’s like anything else in life, if what you want to learn, such as a skill or trade, and there is no school in your area to learn, you go find a school that offers teaching for that skill or trade. If you live in a small town, and you want to become a qualified auto mechanic, and there is no tech or trade school where you live, you either move or commute to the nearest town that has a tech school that offers this skill. Learning Wing Chun is no different.

I may sound very hard and uncaring when it come to this topic, but I only have peoples or persons best interests in mind. And if you too, really care about people, and helping people in their learning Wing Chun, and learning correctly, and maybe one day passing this great art down to another generation, you would never suggest to someone to learn on their own or anyway you can, just for the sake of them saying they’re learning Wing Chun. As I said earlier, just because we want to do something doesn’t mean we get to do that something. Life is full of have and have nots. And in this instance, learning Wing Chun, without a qualified Sifu’s guidance, through self teaching, online videos and DVD, is not really having it at all.

chain punch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to say, you all know how much I am against people learning or training Wing Chun on their own or by way of the internet, DVD’s, videos, etc, rather than finding a qualified instructor. It truly is the worst way to learn. I know sometimes it’s not possible to find a qualified Sifu. But learning WC without guidance is bad for the people involved and bad for the reputation of our art and our own reputations (teachers of WC). It’s like anything else in life, if what you want to learn, such as a skill or trade, and there is no school in your area to learn, you go find a school that offers teaching for that skill or trade. If you live in a small town, and you want to become a qualified auto mechanic, and there is no tech or trade school where you live, you either move or commute to the nearest town that has a tech school that offers this skill. Learning Wing Chun is no different.

I may sound very hard and uncaring when it come to this topic, but I only have peoples or persons best interests in mind. And if you too, really care about people, and helping people in their learning Wing Chun, and learning correctly, and maybe one day passing this great art down to another generation, you would never suggest to someone to learn on their own or anyway you can, just for the sake of them saying they’re learning Wing Chun. As I said earlier, just because we want to do something doesn’t mean we get to do that something. Life is full of have and have nots. And in this instance, learning Wing Chun, without a qualified Sifu’s guidance, through self teaching, online videos and DVD, is not really having it at all.

I think it is a good idea. We are not messing with his life. That statement is an exaggeration. Was it not Yang Lu Chan who leant taichi by initially spying on a master?

Z, worry not about reputations, they are not important. Who cares what others think of wing chun? No one owns wing chun so why the need to feel so possessive? It was here before us and will most certainly be here once we are gone. I don't think there is a worst way to learn but a worst way to be instructed might be a more suitable way to think about it.

With reference to the auto mechanic, how people love engines fix them without any formal training? Loads. He does not to do it as a job but for himself.

As I said, no one owns wing chun and there should be no knowledge filter. Just because in the olden days the instruction was slow in terms of what you got does not mean that is the best way to teach. My belief is that this model is down right ridiculous. And just because someone has reached a certain level in any martial arts does not equate to teaching ability.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is that fixing an engine probably won't get you killed , the thing will just fail to start or run badly.

If this guy learns Wing Chun in a half-arsed way , he will more than likely develop a false sense of confidence in his own ability as many new students tend to do.

This will lead him to get into fights at the drop of a hat to test out his new found abilities and the result will be that he will most likely get his head caved in.

chain punch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem is that fixing an engine probably won't get you killed , the thing will just fail to start or run badly.

If this guy learns Wing Chun in a half-arsed way , he will more than likely develop a false sense of confidence in his own ability as many new students tend to do.

This will lead him to get into fights at the drop of a hat to test out his new found abilities and the result will be that he will most likely get his head caved in.

And if he did that he would deserve the beating he would receive. As would any of us going out on to the streets to test our skills. Surely the best form of self defence is not being in a situation in the first place. Stay away from ********s and rough places, get a cab home early to avoid the rush. You all know the drills.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The op has also said that he is teaching what he knows to his partner. Already its a bad idea you can't teach what you don't know. He needs an instructor because neither him or his partner have a clue. Yes we could help him from the forum provided he posted numerous videos each with multiple angles for us all to critique and even then he will have developed bad habits because it was not physical instruction. Oh and did I mention he's teaching this ********. He needs to wait bottomline, all he is doing now is causing more work for him and his future sifu.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is let's say that he posted videos and we critiqued them. He would be getting feedback from multiple lineages. "Weight back, No, weight forward. Pivot on your heels, no pivot on the balls of your feet......" the poor bastich would go insane in a matter of a couple of video postings.

OP
H
Reaction score
Boys give this guy a break. He is passionate and wants to learn. Stop with all this elitist talk about the complexity of wing chun, analogies brain surgery seem rather tenuous at best. I do not think he wants to learn online. He wants guidance not preaching. Help not criticism. Instead of telling him what he should not do, this forum should be a place of nurturing.

I agree with most of you that wing chun is hard and challenging and real progress and learning only occurs with quality partners and instructors.

Why don't we recommend him some punching and footwork videos and set him a target of 100,000 punches with each arm in a 3 month period? Forget the forms. I am going to put my neck on the block and say do you really need them to be good ay wing chun. I say no. What are the basics that he needs to learn so that when he does get a teacher he won't feel too daft.

So how about quality punching with balance and basic footwork?

Paul

Alright paul ... I am open to critique. And i'm gonna post something here. videos .. since its early in the morning here i see no better time to make a video.

@ Fight issue.... i in no way am a man of violence the most violent i've ever gotten is when i slapped and knocked down a man shorter than i for offending a friend of mine who was shorter than the man in question. Other than that i dont have a single recollection of violence. I donot want to test my mettle against someone on the streets thats just not how i do things ... WC is something i wholeheartedly wish to learn.

My greatest inspiration is Mr Fan , Lee Jun hehe

OP
H
Reaction score
Greetings.

It might be fun to help the guy out collectively. Interesting experiment if you ask me.

It is hard to judge before seeing the guy in action. If he has good kinesthetic-visual connection he could learn a lot from us + videos + etc.

Immediate feedback from a qualified teacher is best. Not so immediate feedback from a bunch of high level peoples in the forums should be good enough until the time comes when he could get a qualified teacher for feedback. It could lead to interesting discussions, and it is certainly better to his chances of defending himself successfully. (several of my beginner level students have gotten in many street/self defense altercations, all victorious!! I'm so proud!!).

If not, I can help as much as possibler through this medium if needed. I think it will be fun! Or a disaster! ;) Yet we will know the truth only by experimenting and giving a chance to explore something to see where it leads. The Internets is fun!! Skype and such technologies is fun! Let's see what we can do with it! :D

Your call, Mr. Haris Lamboo Faisal.

Sincerely,

Juan Mercado

I say bring it , ready as i've ever been.

Okay Im in the process of uploading the SLT Video. i didnt make this just now but was recorded a few days ago i think.

EDit: SLT video uploaded , don't know if im blowing smoke up your *** or if you guys are blowing smoke up mine but please he gentle haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGRUDWN3DA&feature=channel_video_title

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
HLF...God love you for wanting to learn WC and I applaud your enthusiasm for trying to learn on your own, but I have got to say....STOP!!!!please stop!!!! I'm not saying this to embarrass you or to come across as some kind of elitist *** bag, but there are so many things wrong with what you are doing that I don't know where to begin. You have got to find a teacher.

And I sincerely hope you are able to find what you are looking for

OP
H
Reaction score
HLF...God love you for wanting to learn WC and I applaud your enthusiasm for trying to learn on your own, but I have got to say....STOP!!!!please stop!!!! I'm not saying this to embarrass you or to come across as some kind of elitist *** bag, but there are so many things wrong with what you are doing that I don't know where to begin. You have got to find a teacher.

And I sincerely hope you are able to find what you are looking for

haha your comment made me feel like i had just given anal to sil lim tao surely it wasnt that bad for a beginner.i know the shoulders could be lowered a bit more and the structure could be a little better.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I say bring it , ready as i've ever been.

Okay Im in the process of uploading the SLT Video. i didnt make this just now but was recorded a few days ago i think.

EDit: SLT video uploaded , don't know if im blowing smoke up your *** or if you guys are blowing smoke up mine but please he gentle haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGRUDWN3DA&feature=channel_video_title

I'm sorry my friend, I've replay the video many times, if I didn't know any better ... your WC demo is so wrong on so many levels. Those bad habits everyone fears are riddled through out, it will be definitely hard to correct once they are ingrained.

I'll have to agree with those opinions against video/online/books learning.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
haha your comment made me feel like i had just given anal to sil lim tao surely it wasnt that bad for a beginner.i know the shoulders could be lowered a bit more and the structure could be a little better.

This is on the verge of bizzare. You ask for help and honest critique, we try to give it to you and you discount it. There is more indepth knowledge of WC from the people on this forum than you could possibly realize and you just laugh it off................I'm done trying to help........Am I on Candid Camera?????????????

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
No wait, I'm not done. Forgive my rant. Let's start over.
Let me ask you . What lineage of WC are you trying to emulate? That will give us some framework to work with.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going to have a look at the video , but I trust Yak Sao's judgement , so I won't bother.
If he think's it's pretty ordinary , then it's pretty ordinary.

OP
H
Reaction score
if you feel so strongly about this yak sao than i guess you are right... i do not discount anything you are saying on the contrary i am actually listening intently while making an argument for myself ... i know of only a few lineages and i am related to none of them ... as you say you have noticed many , could you pointa few out ... my mistakes i.e.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is the man himself. I can't speak with any authority whatsoever from any other lineage.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H
Reaction score
I'm sorry my friend, I've replay the video many times, if I didn't know any better ... your WC demo is so wrong on so many levels. Those bad habits everyone fears are riddled through out, it will be definitely hard to correct once they are ingrained.

I'll have to agree with those opinions against video/online/books learning.

I am glad that you spoke the truth =)

OP
H
Reaction score

This is the man himself. I can't speak with any authority whatsoever from any other lineage.

OH boy was i off ... dont take this as discounting your opinion but my guess is that im mixing so much stuff together that some of the things im doing make me look like a fool infront of this hence light is shed on your insistance that online learning is not appropriate though i think most people would make fools of themselves when they compare their form to yip man. Its sticking to one lineage that is the problem with the online stuff and i don't think ip man graced youtube with every form he ever practiced pfsheesh.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, If your intent on training alone,and as much as I think it's a bad idea, I'm going to give you a couple of basic tips that are pretty much universal in all lineages.

1.RELAX- try to get your movements smoother with no tension. Think about moving like you would in water. Not so jerky.

2.STANCE- when you opened your feet to get into the stance, your body was rocking back and forth and also bobbing up and down.This is not good. Try to sink more and stay at that level while opening up your stance. Also tuck your hips to flatten the lower back.

3.ELBOWS AND SHOULDERS - sink the shoulders into the sockets, keep your upper arms next to your chest, KEEP YOUR ELBOWS IN AND DOWN. Sorry to say this, but the way you were moving your elbows on that clip looked like you were dancing at a rave, all you needed were white gloves and whistle lol.

4. FIND A PROPER TEACHER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I just watched your clip again-
Skip tips 1-3 and just do number 4.
icon7.gif

Latest Discussions