Respect for martial artists

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, many "hobbyists" actually do see it as a way of life, but only for a part of their life. Life goals change, even for those who are highly committed. And I don't see a transition to instructor as a necessary component of life-long study or commitment. Frankly, there are people who shouldn't make that transition, but do it because it's the only model they see for "what's next".

I wasn't saying transition from student to instructor proves dedication. I was posing a question to the previous person who replied to me. And I don't think you have to "keep showing up" to prove commitment either because there were many years when I was financially unable to afford going to class, but I kept practicing my forms at home...I kept hitting a wall bag...I built my own wooden dummy (albeit poorly)...I would email my Sifu with videos of me doing the forms and techniques and ask for advice (or the best he could give, since he WAS just watching a video). I still had the intensity in me to practice what I already knew. It's just that I was unable to go to class so I could learn MORE. But the love and devotion to WC NEVER disappeared. I was determined to really nail what I knew so that, when I could go back to class, Sifu would see I had been working.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't saying transition from student to instructor proves dedication. I was posing a question to the previous person who replied to me. And I don't think you have to "keep showing up" to prove commitment either because there were many years when I was financially unable to afford going to class, but I kept practicing my forms at home...I kept hitting a wall bag...I built my own wooden dummy (albeit poorly)...I would email my Sifu with videos of me doing the forms and techniques and ask for advice (or the best he could give, since he WAS just watching a video). I still had the intensity in me to practice what I already knew. It's just that I was unable to go to class so I could learn MORE. But the love and devotion to WC NEVER disappeared. I was determined to really nail what I knew so that, when I could go back to class, Sifu would see I had been working.
Actually, you (like I did for a while) showed up in the only way you could. I've been through those stretches, myself, and I kept training - like you did. Most wouldn't, and that's my point.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, you (like I did for a while) showed up in the only way you could. I've been through those stretches, myself, and I kept training - like you did. Most wouldn't, and that's my point.

It's not an easy stretch to be in. Fortunately, the Sifu with whom I study now actually offers free classes. Why? I have no idea. He has no school of his own; at the moment he teaches once per week out of the basement of an American Legion, and then another time in an activity room up at Skidmore College. But hey...if he isn't charging for right now, I'll take it!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not an easy stretch to be in. Fortunately, the Sifu with whom I study now actually offers free classes. Why? I have no idea. He has no school of his own; at the moment he teaches once per week out of the basement of an American Legion, and then another time in an activity room up at Skidmore College. But hey...if he isn't charging for right now, I'll take it!
I can probably tell you why. Most likely he loves teaching, and wants to help folks who can't afford it. It's the same reason I keep my rates well below the norm for the area, and why I don't (and likely never will) have a school.

Latest Discussions