Legitimate or fake?

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was searching the web on a specific style I have always been interested in. I will not state the name just incase this guy is legitimate but it is a Chinese MA. Anyway I was reading different sites and came across one that the guy claimed to be a master and had his credentials posted. It all looked legitimate until I got to his certificate. It was in Japanese and not Chinese.
I have never seen this before or heard of it. There are certain Okinawan arts that still keep the Chinese Kanji but I have never seen a Chinese art that uses Japanese Kanji on their certification. Is this legitimate or fake?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now a days who really knows but it would bother me if the text was in the wrong language.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Im with terry here, if it is a chinese art, I would expect chinese kanji. It would at least throw me off enough to do some research.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was searching the web on a specific style I have always been interested in. I will not state the name just incase this guy is legitimate but it is a Chinese MA. Anyway I was reading different sites and came across one that the guy claimed to be a master and had his credentials posted. It all looked legitimate until I got to his certificate. It was in Japanese and not Chinese.
I have never seen this before or heard of it. There are certain Okinawan arts that still keep the Chinese Kanji but I have never seen a Chinese art that uses Japanese Kanji on their certification. Is this legitimate or fake?

Sounds fake. I think people get confused when trying to make their art legit. They mix things up because they think the older they sound the better they are,lol. "Chinese Karate" ATA (korean tkd) karate? WTH?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds very suspicious. I would investigate further. Not knowing the art in question I guess there could be a perfectly reasonable explaination, but given the Chineese/Japaneese relationship... be on your guard.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sounds fake

You don't have to name him but could you give us a link to the site

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto the last 2 posts.

What I read is a bit off from your description, but I'd like to see it for myself.

PM the 3 of us with the website if you'd like.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am a little confused by the original question. What do you mean the certificate is in japanese? Is it kanji, katakana, or hiragonna? If it is Kanji then there is no problem as Kanji means chinese writing. Both the Japanese and Koreans borrowed the chinese characters for writing. If it appears to be katakana you may not have an issue as katakana was simplified kanji for use in a phonetical shorthand - these symbols have no inherent japanese meaning but it is quite possible they may as chinese characters. The chinese have 4 to 5 times more characters than the japanese. If the characters are clearly hiragonna than that is definitely japanese.

Please clarify.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is easy to make claims of legitimate or fake? Many of you are passing judgement very quickly?

Today there is NO rules of how anything written is consider real or fake....

Chinese or Japanese lettering? ....does it matter?

Titles is just titles and anyone can use any title they want....there is NO laws or rules for any indepentant martial art school or schools.

When opening a martial art school? ....as owner? ...you can be the President, ...CEO....Grand master....or Joe COOL!

Anyone needing a certicate? ....e-mail me? and the rank you want? ..Chinese or Japanese or Korean or English? ...your choice of ink colors too!

Expensive ones cost more....cheap ones are made the same way, only no frame

Prices start at: $$$$$$$$$$.$$$$$$.$$$$ The more you pay? ....the more you can claim....the cost of it! "Wow" my certicate cost me? ...thousands and thousands! WHY PAY LESS!

Aloha,

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, It is easy to make claims of legitimate or fake? Many of you are passing judgement very quickly?

Today there is NO rules of how anything written is consider real or fake....

Chinese or Japanese lettering? ....does it matter?

Titles is just titles and anyone can use any title they want....there is NO laws or rules for any indepentant martial art school or schools.

When opening a martial art school? ....as owner? ...you can be the President, ...CEO....Grand master....or Joe COOL!

Anyone needing a certicate? ....e-mail me? and the rank you want? ..Chinese or Japanese or Korean or English? ...your choice of ink colors too!

Expensive ones cost more....cheap ones are made the same way, only no frame

Prices start at: $$$$$$$$$$.$$$$$$.$$$$ The more you pay? ....the more you can claim....the cost of it! "Wow" my certicate cost me? ...thousands and thousands! WHY PAY LESS!

Aloha,

I think the issue at hand is exactly what you're implying here...

Unless you're intending to be sarcastic, in which case I appologize.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
May just be ignorance....I knew an intructor that was using the rubber stamps for his rank.....only to much later find out (from a more versed student) that the stamp was ranks below his......He was very embarassed to say the least.....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would investigate further but like everyone else I think we need to look at the link to give you a good opinion.
icon6.gif

Cragrat

White Belt
Reaction score
As a current martial arts student of the Hung gar discipline nothing that makes me angrier is to see many videos on the tube that shows how people pretend to be martial artists for any gain. Martial arts should be a discipline of self encounter and mental endurance in which by learning and practicing any style defines your body motions as well as provides the stamina to master it. This is a video that shows some of these "fakers": ShrinkMe.io
I am a latecomer to the party , but would just like to pose a couple of thoughts. The only way to find a good teacher is to search and test all theories offered. If this doesn't work for you move on. This i believe has been implied if not already stated. Secondly , your martial arts path should be more about self discovery than others opinions. Finally i feel it does not serve any purpose being annoyed by others stupidity of false declaration , if you spot this ignore it as it is not killing you. Simply find a great Guro/Sensei/Sifu or whatever term they give themselves and talk about their good points and abilities if asked. My Sifu allowed me to continue training when at an all time low in the 80's for about 2 and a half years at no expense. He still spouts endless advice and touches hands willingly with anybody. Surely we should just find our own path in these troubled times and stop hate and anger. I also apologise if i have offended anyone this is not my intention either. Stay safe and continue on your path wherever it leads

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds fake. I think people get confused when trying to make their art legit. They mix things up because they think the older they sound the better they are,lol. "Chinese Karate" ATA (korean tkd) karate? WTH?
For the latter, WTF TKD is realistically a derivative of Oh Do Kwan Karate; native Korean arts having suffered under Japanese occupation. So it's not a stretch to call it "Korean Karate".

But yes, it's common to call something using the name of another thing that has some similarity. We even do this in official names (PineApple).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the latter, WTF TKD is realistically a derivative of Oh Do Kwan Karate; native Korean arts having suffered under Japanese occupation. So it's not a stretch to call it "Korean Karate".

But yes, it's common to call something using the name of another thing that has some similarity. We even do this in official names (PineApple).
Pineapple? What does that mean? Grapefruit! Mushroom! Why, the middle of my arm is bent like the letter "L". I shall call it an L-bow ...or elbow!

What the heck are we talking about anyway. This is a 13 year-old thread. o_O

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pineapple? What does that mean?
It means that someone found something that was distinctly *not* an apple, but reminded them of an apple (because of the nature of the "meat", and so named it to relate to something familiar. Much like "Indonesian Karate" instead of "Silat".

Grapefruit! Mushroom! Why, the middle of my arm is bent like the letter "L". I shall call it an L-bow ...or elbow!
erm... ok.

What the heck are we talking about anyway. This is a 13 year-old thread. o_O
I hadn't posted in >10 years and I got an email updating me on posts. Apparently necromancy is a thing.