Legendary grapplers

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been involved in martial arts for almost my entire life. However, apart from some judo classes as a kid, and some japanese jiujitsu classes I didn't fully appreciate as a teenager, I have only ever been involved in striking: Taekwondo, Boxing, Kikcboxing, Capoeira etc. I picked up BJJ whilst I was up in Glasgow. I will be taking Judo classes too, and I wish to begin focusing more on the grappling and close quarters aspect of martial arts.

I have made immense progress with striking, and I feel comfortable holding my ground in the ring. I had a very succesful sparring session yesterday against a much bigger and more experienced opponent than me - my mindset, the way I approached it and my attitude were something I was very proud of, as well as having been able to apply so many techniques and movements that I have drilled for hundreds and thousands of times daily for years. I even gained the recognition of my boxing coach yesterday, which is something I've wanted for a very long time, and he gave me some good advice. He also complimented my head movement and how often I was making my opponent miss - this also meant a lot to me because seeing Matrix like head movement from Tyson, Ali and Mayweather really inspired me to become the type of boxer that sees shots coming and manages to evade them with head movement.

However, I wish to become a complete fighter, and I still take very hard shots to the head. Bruce Lee said himself, that he would stand no chance against martial artists that focused on grappling arts. I will maintain my striking skills through some light sparring once maybe twice a month, and I feel as if I need to gather a respectable amateur record to get my name out there. But I am wary of the injuries and risks with striking disciplines; I'm not interested in dementia or amnesia or CTE. It's perhaps my biggest fear since I can remember, to become disabled or brain damaged from doing something I love. The thrill of a good sparring session is unmatched, but so is the ill aftertaste of disorientation and a "smooth brained" feeling from shots to the head after each session.

Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson have been an inspiration to me from the moment I became seriously involved with martial arts. I idolise them and I'm a huge nerd on them - I know way too much random trivia about them. I was wondering whether any of you had heard of grapplers that have reached the legendary status they held. It's a status that I aim to hold one day, and I am having trouble with the concept of achieving this through grappling martial arts and competitions. I love striking arts and will obviously continue to train them, but I am wondering if it's possible?

If so, are there any examples you guys can think of grappling legends and idols that you personally look up to or admire? Thanks in advance.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been involved in martial arts for almost my entire life. However, apart from some judo classes as a kid, and some japanese jiujitsu classes I didn't fully appreciate as a teenager, I have only ever been involved in striking: Taekwondo, Boxing, Kikcboxing, Capoeira etc. I picked up BJJ whilst I was up in Glasgow. I will be taking Judo classes too, and I wish to begin focusing more on the grappling and close quarters aspect of martial arts.

I have made immense progress with striking, and I feel comfortable holding my ground in the ring. I had a very succesful sparring session yesterday against a much bigger and more experienced opponent than me - my mindset, the way I approached it and my attitude were something I was very proud of, as well as having been able to apply so many techniques and movements that I have drilled for hundreds and thousands of times daily for years. I even gained the recognition of my boxing coach yesterday, which is something I've wanted for a very long time, and he gave me some good advice. He also complimented my head movement and how often I was making my opponent miss - this also meant a lot to me because seeing Matrix like head movement from Tyson, Ali and Mayweather really inspired me to become the type of boxer that sees shots coming and manages to evade them with head movement.

However, I wish to become a complete fighter, and I still take very hard shots to the head. Bruce Lee said himself, that he would stand no chance against martial artists that focused on grappling arts. I will maintain my striking skills through some light sparring once maybe twice a month, and I feel as if I need to gather a respectable amateur record to get my name out there. But I am wary of the injuries and risks with striking disciplines; I'm not interested in dementia or amnesia or CTE. It's perhaps my biggest fear since I can remember, to become disabled or brain damaged from doing something I love. The thrill of a good sparring session is unmatched, but so is the ill aftertaste of disorientation and a "smooth brained" feeling from shots to the head after each session.

Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson have been an inspiration to me from the moment I became seriously involved with martial arts. I idolise them and I'm a huge nerd on them - I know way too much random trivia about them. I was wondering whether any of you had heard of grapplers that have reached the legendary status they held. It's a status that I aim to hold one day, and I am having trouble with the concept of achieving this through grappling martial arts and competitions. I love striking arts and will obviously continue to train them, but I am wondering if it's possible?

If so, are there any examples you guys can think of grappling legends and idols that you personally look up to or admire? Thanks in advance.
Dan Gable
Carl Adams
Anthony Robles
Milo of Croton

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly too many to name.....

Jigoro Kano
Shiro Saigo
Mitsuyo Maeda
Masahiko Kimura