leg training for high kicks

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone attest to this? How long would it take before I start to see results?

Last edited by a moderator:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can anyone attest to this? How long would it take before I start to see results?

Oh yea!!! Bill Super Foot was the man in his day and still is. These are simple basic drills. They are tried and true, tested drills that will help with strengthening the muscles for kicking.

Most people can't kick high because the leg (muscles for kicking high) are weak. I have seen people that can do full splits but can't kick high. I have also seen the reverse, people with no flexibilty but can kick high.

You do not need to have static flexibility to kick high. You need dynamic flexibility to kick high. Static helps but not needed.

As for how long it will take to see results. You should see gradual results in about 2 weeks. But over time you will get better. Remember nothing comes fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is really no varible ofr how long, some it may take a month, others may take a year. The one great thing is just start, that is the main thing for everybody, when and where they actually start and keep going.

OP
W

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh yea!!! Bill Super Foot was the man in his day and still is. These are simple basic drills. They are tried and true, tested drills that will help with strengthening the muscles for kicking.

Most people can't kick high because the leg (muscles for kicking high) are weak. I have seen people that can do full splits but can't kick high. I have also seen the reverse, people with no flexibilty but can kick high.

You do not need to have static flexibility to kick high. You need dynamic flexibility to kick high. Static helps but not needed.

As for how long it will take to see results. You should see gradual results in about 2 weeks. But over time you will get better. Remember nothing comes fast.

I'm starting to see alittle results. I can extend my leg out fully and it won't hurt as much. I also do not feel as much agonizing pain that I did a 1.5 weeks ago. Is that you in the avatar? Thats a real high kick. I only wish I could do that someday.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm starting to see alittle results. I can extend my leg out fully and it won't hurt as much. I also do not feel as much agonizing pain that I did a 1.5 weeks ago. Is that you in the avatar? Thats a real high kick. I only wish I could do that someday.
Good for you, congrats. Now keep it up so you keep gaining.

Oh and that's my Daughter. I can only....well I can kick that high but she can hold it there, I can't do that any more. Well not that high at least.

2068478868_7c1602cb7c.jpg

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
high kicks aside, it seems accoding to what he says, it strengthens the muscles required to lift the leg up? so does this mean that this exercise helps in improving the speed of knee-raising?

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
high kicks aside, it seems accoding to what he says, it strengthens the muscles required to lift the leg up? so does this mean that this exercise helps in improving the speed of knee-raising?

It should. Stands to reason that if your legs are stronger, it's easier to raise them, and therefore you can do it faster. BTW, if any of you ever get a chance to attend a Bill Wallace seminar, DO IT. He's not only a great teacher, he's funny as hell.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
It should. Stands to reason that if your legs are stronger, it's easier to raise them, and therefore you can do it faster. BTW, if any of you ever get a chance to attend a Bill Wallace seminar, DO IT. He's not only a great teacher, he's funny as hell.

ok i shall do it everyday then. hah if he ever comes to singapore ):