Kang Duk Won

T

traz

Does anyone train this particular style of Tae Kwon Do, or have any experience with it? I do Hapkido currently, however I will be moving soon, so I'll have to switch. I am going to take up a style of jiu jutsu once I move, but I would also like to do a striking art. Since I'll have experience with many kicks, I figure I might as well take up Tae Kwon Do as the striking art, and this is the TKD style offered at my University. I understand that it is traditional as opposed to sport, however I am wondering if anyone can attest to the training methods used, and the practicality of this particular style.

In addition, if you have experience with it, can anyone tell me the amount of hand work studied, as opposed to just kicks? Again, I'm trying to find the most practical style of TKD that I can, so I'm not going for one that is all flashy kicks.

Thanks!

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kang Duk Won was founded by Master Park Chul Hee and Master Hong Jong Pyo in 1957. Both, werer senior instructors at the Chang Moo Kwan style of Kong Soo Do in South Korea before establishing this school.

Chang Moo Kwan and Kang Duk Won have roots in Okinawan karate and Chinese Chuan-fa (Kwon bup). There are forms and techniques from both styles taught in one comprehensive curriculum.

Kang Duk Won was a lessor known style in Korea and I am surprised someone in America claims to teach it.

If this school is truely Kang Duk Won, they won't be teaching any modern forms, such as, Palgue, TaeGuek, Chang Hon forms, etc. They will teach the same forms as Shorin-Ryu plus chuan-fa forms and the training will more resemble what most people nowadays term traditional Tang Soo Do.

The karate lineage of Kang Duk Won is (modern to older): Park Chul Hee & Jong Pyo Hong, students of Byung In Yoon, student of Kanken Toyama, student of Yasutsune Anko Itosu & Chosin Chibana.

The Chuan-fa lineage follows the same line but stops at Byung-In Yoon. He grew up near Shanghai after his family fled the Japanese occupation of what is now North Korea.

R. McLain

OP
T

traz

It appears that the man who started the American Kang Duk Won, Grandmaster Arndt, learned from Master Kum, who learned from Park.

Latest Discussions