Hook Kick/Spinning Hook Kick

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
My have just started learning Sp Hook Kick I find that I can get my Leg up a lot higher in this kick than in the standard Hook Kick.

I find with a Hook Kick I dont get my knee up high enough and the hook tends to go up rather than down slightly, but why can I do it in the spin??

Does anyone have some good tip's :idunno:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Sarah, you have more momentum in a spinning heel kick. We had to do that break before the hook kick break. Also learn it before. There is a thread called spinning hook kick started by Faye. Many have posted the descriptions of the kick and tips. I would look in there. Alot of times unless you are looking just for one trouble spot answer, or something unique, the subject has come up before. I usually check threads a few pages back for titles first... Hope you find it there. TW

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Hi Sarah, you have more momentum in a spinning heel kick. We had to do that break before the hook kick break. Also learn it before. There is a thread called spinning hook kick started by Faye. Many have posted the descriptions of the kick and tips. I would look in there. Alot of times unless you are looking just for one trouble spot answer, or something unique, the subject has come up before. I usually check threads a few pages back for titles first... Hope you find it there. TW

Great, thanks for that.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Sarah, keeping your foot horizontal during the hook kick is usually just dependent on flexibility. Tigerwoman mentioned in another thread (was it in the Women of MA forum?) the exercise of throwing side kicks slowly. I think that's a good exercise that might help you with this.

BTW, because you're not spinning with a regular hook kick, you'll find that it has a lot less power than the spinning version. The key to gaining power is to pull through with the hip. That's actually a lot easier said than done here. I don't have this kick perfected yet. Have fun practicing.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regarding the spin heel/hook kick. I was always trying to practice this at home,never could get anyone to hold the paddle-frustrating. So I was forever trying to devise a way to hook my paddle up. Gave up. Guess what I found a inexpensive (relative to the Century one) of a post with paddle extensions which are height adjustable for spin heel or round kick, etc.. It has a smaller base which is filled with water and two paddles on top. I've been using it the past month and it works great! Its called the KO Kickboxer Workout Gym for $50. Big name for just what I described but... Anyone interested can PM me and I'll tell you where you can get it. Gee hope this isn't advertising.??? I don't work for them. TW

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we were working on this kick tonight in class, and I noticed that one of the students was having trouble with the spin kick rather than the reg. hook. Something he was doing seems to be the opposite of your problem but, at the same time it seems to hold the answer in my mind. Let's see if I can get it out on the screen.

Ahh.. I found the words. When he spun, he would lean back too early and kick upward in a diagnol direction. So I am thinking that you may be trying to lean back at the start of your kick and cauing yourself to slice the kick. Try starting out like an outside crescent kick(assuming right leg kick, pull the leg to the left) before you lean back for the rest of the kick. Your leg will be partially lifted already and if you have the hip strength, it should be easier to pull the kick over.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
we were working on this kick tonight in class, and I noticed that one of the students was having trouble with the spin kick rather than the reg. hook. Something he was doing seems to be the opposite of your problem but, at the same time it seems to hold the answer in my mind. Let's see if I can get it out on the screen.

Ahh.. I found the words. When he spun, he would lean back too early and kick upward in a diagnol direction. So I am thinking that you may be trying to lean back at the start of your kick and cauing yourself to slice the kick. Try starting out like an outside crescent kick(assuming right leg kick, pull the leg to the left) before you lean back for the rest of the kick. Your leg will be partially lifted already and if you have the hip strength, it should be easier to pull the kick over.

That sounds like a wheel kick - lifting your leg in circular fashion. Alot of newbies do it this way - try to power the kick through with an arc. I think the power comes from the spin and shooting directly back to the target as in a high back kick and hooking in a snap through the target. If you learn to do the wheel kick, I think it is a bad habit and trying to change it later gets difficult. Also later, when the breaks get more difficult as in a two finger hold or a dropped board, a snap kick is essential to break. TW

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
That sounds like a wheel kick - lifting your leg in circular fashion. Alot of newbies do it this way - try to power the kick through with an arc. I think the power comes from the spin and shooting directly back to the target as in a high back kick and hooking in a snap through the target. If you learn to do the wheel kick, I think it is a bad habit and trying to change it later gets difficult. Also later, when the breaks get more difficult as in a two finger hold or a dropped board, a snap kick is essential to break. TW
Don't think of it as the same kick or a different kick. Think of it as a variation of a kick. I agree the other is more powerful and probably more useful. However, we must always take a path to get to our goal, even if you have to take the long way. This variation of the kick is slower but, still has some good power to it. I use it as a way to start students off when they are having trouble with the kick.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Han-Mi said:
Don't think of it as the same kick or a different kick. Think of it as a variation of a kick. I agree the other is more powerful and probably more useful. However, we must always take a path to get to our goal, even if you have to take the long way. This variation of the kick is slower but, still has some good power to it. I use it as a way to start students off when they are having trouble with the kick.

I think Han-Mi's right about this. Both the hook kick and heel kick start with the same motion.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
I think Han-Mi's right about this. Both the hook kick and heel kick start with the same motion.

Hi, Zepp, I think he was talking about the SPIN heel otherwise called SPIN hook. Yes, a lift up hook or heel kick starts with the same motion but its different with the spin aspect.

Hani-Mi, you are right, you can teach them this way. It seems that a lot of people who aren't flexible or are overweight do it this way initially. But I think it gets them into trouble down the road as it has to be alot faster to break with a two finger hold (our rec. BB requirement)or even a 1 hand hold. And then the basic motion of keeping your leg in close before kicking out to position for the snap becomes like greek. Its indelible in their brain to do the wheel kick. Then later, especially for adults, the wheel does not translate well for the jump spin heel unless there is really good jumping ability to stay in the air long enough but I still think the power comes from the snap and the wheel can't do it. Besides in sparring its alot easier to see the wheel coming. (no we can't use it in class in sparring, too hard to stop for most). TW

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I see where your coming from. I guess we've been lucky in the sense that our students have been able to learn both methods.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't snap the knee during a spinning hook/back roundhouse. The knee remains straight, the hip rotator is brought around in a BIG torso/hip torquing action, and the leg travels around in a 180-degree arc parallel to the floor.
One of the best defensive kicks I know of. I hate to be the unlucky schlub on the receiving end of one.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
I really don't like this kick at all. Even at school, people kick differently, some more like a spinning wheel kick, some spinning hook kick. Someone did a slow motion for me, and the way he did it, (without the spin), he would kick it like a side kick, legs locked, and extend through target, then hook to a roundhouse chambered position, which I tried, and feels extremely awkward for me. I've practiced just execute the side kick, and hooked the kick immediately thru the target, but I do have trouble bring the knee around while my leg is still hooked.

As for the spinning version, I have such a headache with that. I tend to execute the kick too early, and my kicks are sort of snappy, not spinned around.

I have one of those water based, air-blown thing that you can practice forms of your kicks at home, wonder if anyone can suggest me to take advantage of this and practice???

The time when I make contact with the kicking bag (verticle block - air blowned thing), should my leg be hooked or straight?
Thanks again!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Faye said:
The time when I make contact with the kicking bag (verticle block - air blowned thing), should my leg be hooked or straight?

I would teach it as a spinsidekick back to just left of the target and hook/snap through horizontally. You can practice it on that bag since it is not a hard target. (Hard bags tend to hyperextend the knee)

Others like the wheel kick but I don't believe it is neither faster, or more powerful and in the end if you need to break boards, this is a better kick to learn - especially for women. Then it depends on how your instructor wants you to do it, too.

It is a hard kick to learn, both physically challenging, as your body gets more flexible and stronger and to put the memory into your muscle. As you train you will get better but have patience with yourself. It certainly doesn't happen overnight - we work on it for years! TW

Latest Discussions