Learning Latin, how?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The idea of learning dead languages has always interested me. Of them, Latin seems to be the 'easiest' given the larger amount of information available compared to Celt or Aramaic for example. My goal is to be able to actually converse in the language, not just do word-substitution translation. It's a project my wife and I have discussed doing together.

My initial instinct was to grab Latin for Dummies. I've had good luck with the 'Dummies' series in the past, so thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, most of the reviews I've read give it poor marks for real use.

A search on Amazon turned up the Rosetta Stone system. It's pricey. A number of good reviews as well, but looking at the criticism makes me wary of investing that much money.

My next item was "Wheelock's Latin" which seems to be one of the main texts the last 50 or so years. Several critical comments however make me hesitate. The main criticism seems to be that true fluid mastery isn't possible with Wheelock's, as it is more geared towards the translator not the speaker.

Other suggested readings come from Grote and Adler and a few others.
Then there's this link
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~wcd/Latin.htm

So, anyone ever attempt to learn Latin and get anywhere?
I'm bloody well lost here.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good luck with that Bob. I took a semester of Latin in High School, but, it was the same time I started dating and discovered beer, so, all I remember is one word: Sugate, (You suck). A lot of the books I read have Latin phrases and the internet isn't so reliable sometimes...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't there a college or institute nearby which has evening / weekend courses in languages?
Getting started is much easier if you can find a teacher and a class with prepared material.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try googling around to find a church that celebrates Mass in Latin. I found at least one in Buffalo that says they hold one, although I'm not sure how current the information is.

http://www.the-latinmass.com/id137.html

Call an organizer or the priest and say you are interested in learning Latin on a budget, and see if they where they can point you. If your curiosity is such that you want to actually check out the Latin Mass, you would be welcome to do so as a visitor, just don't receive communion.

EDIT: I agree with the criticisms of Rosetta Stone. Not worth the money.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. Many years ago I spent 3 years trying to learn Latin. It probably was of some benefit to understanding the English language but try as I might I haven't found a single Roman to converse with!

As to the best method? I would probably try for school text books.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you could also do is to search for a place where they have courses (community college or something else) and then find out which course material they are using. The course will be in English about learning Latin. While it might take a bit longer, you could use that to learn on your own, with the option of getting help from time to time from someone who speaks the language. Once you have someone to get you started, you can do a lot by yourself.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read and speak Latin. IMNSHO, the best way to learn it (or any other language) is to take classes where you have access to an instructor who can answer questions, correct pronunciation, engage in conversation, etc. Lots of colleges and universities offer classes in classical languages, including some community colleges. You might want to check out their websites and/or call and ask them for a course catalogue. Even if you don't want to take classes for credit they will often let people audit courses, which you would have to pay for but often at a reduced rate. Alternately, you could just try to contact the instructor directly and ask them if you could just sit in ("off the books" so to speak).

Good luck in your endeavor. Latin is a great language to learn and actually quite helpful in coming to a better understanding of many modern languages. It's also priceless in reading classical literature, philosophy, theology, etc. in the original.

Pax,

Chris

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The courses are also often seen in used bookstores, on eBay, and in thrift stores for a fraction of the price of them when new. I just passed up a very nice Rosetta Stone set of VHS tapes on learning Japanese. Might still go back for them. Yeah, I'd have to dump VHS to DVD, but I can do that, actually.

Also check the public library, they often have DVD, VHS, and CD-ROM available for check out. Also check the local uni, they sometimes have such things and you may be eligible to check out from them (some allow local residents to get library cards, some don't).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, and check out podcasts. You'd be amazed at what's out there. I've been fiddling around with Esperanto for a long time; I'm not doing too well, but it's a perpetual desire.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having had Latin in school, sticking it out for 5 years, I wonder why you would want to learn Latin.

The key to learning it is to gram grammar, conjugation and vocabulary, but mostly grammar.
Sentence build is horrible on prose, and if you are icky on the grammar, poetry will sink you.

But reading Caesar is a bit of fun, the man was lying through his tooth ;)

In school we joked we would go to Latin America for language trips. I have since learned though that Rumanian is very close to latin. A Rumanian lady told me, I have to take her word for it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, and check out podcasts. You'd be amazed at what's out there. I've been fiddling around with Esperanto for a long time; I'm not doing too well, but it's a perpetual desire.

I've thought about Esperanto when I was younger, but didn't really see the point.
I am learning Japanese because of Japan, which is a good enough reason I guess.
And being able to read Latin opens up a gigantic amount of historical texts and understanding of the origin of many words. Fair enough.

But what is the point of learning Esperanto? I am not trolling, but since it was developed by language nerds, has no history and is not adopted by anyone, it seems rather doomed from the start.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've thought about Esperanto when I was younger, but didn't really see the point.
I am learning Japanese because of Japan, which is a good enough reason I guess.
And being able to read Latin opens up a gigantic amount of historical texts and understanding of the origin of many words. Fair enough.

But what is the point of learning Esperanto? I am not trolling, but since it was developed by language nerds, has no history and is not adopted by anyone, it seems rather doomed from the start.

As they joked about the lingustically challenged Chancellor Kohl: He learning Esperanto, people will be amazed when he goes there for vacation...

However, the language has a few devote fans world wide that can actually converse with each other.

But then again, there are probably more people fluent in Clingon or Elfish

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

For a time it was taught in schools over here - I did it for two years alongside French and German - really confusing as it contained elements of the other two! :eek:.

There is still an Esperanto Society as far as I know but, in order to solve the problem of a common tongue, we cunning Anglophones, as ever, just made sure everyone else learned to speak a language all civilised people can understand ... other than American's of course :p :lol:.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bill must just want to chat with George Soros ;)

Personally, I'd invest ime in learning one of Tolkien's elvish tongues before Esperanto. They're more useful to me :)

Pax,

Chris

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a time it was taught in schools over here - I did it for two years alongside French and German - really confusing as it contained elements of the other two! :eek:.

There is still an Esperanto Society as far as I know but, in order to solve the problem of a common tongue, we cunning Anglophones, as ever, just made sure everyone else learned to speak a language all civilised people can understand ... other than American's of course :p :lol:.

The Provençal language is akin to Latin. The French haters may be interested to know that they don't regard themselves as French mostly because of the suffering the French have caused them ie the Cathars etc. Even today the French look down their noses at both the Provençal and the Bretons who speak a language similiar enough to Cornish and Welsh to be understood by both.
http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Occitan/Occitan.html

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try googling around to find a church that celebrates Mass in Latin. I found at least one in Buffalo that says they hold one, although I'm not sure how current the information is.

http://www.the-latinmass.com/id137.html

Call an organizer or the priest and say you are interested in learning Latin on a budget, and see if they where they can point you. If your curiosity is such that you want to actually check out the Latin Mass, you would be welcome to do so as a visitor, just don't receive communion.

EDIT: I agree with the criticisms of Rosetta Stone. Not worth the money.
You're welcome to attend any Mass, so long as you're willing to be respectful. You may not receive Communion unless you are Catholic, and properly disposed. Simply remain quietly in your seat during Communion, or in some parishes, you may go up, with your arms crossed in front of your chest, and receive a blessing in lieu of Communion. If you sit towards the back (always the most crowded section of a church...), you'll be able to see what the common practice is.

That said -- it's very possible that the Mass will be said by rote rather than through understanding of Latin, and this applies to priests and laity alike.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The few Catholic masses I've attended the last few years were all in English. I did ask a priest recently if they ever did masses in Latin any more and he said rarely as most people couldn't follow them.

Latest Discussions