Leaping Crane??

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since this seems to be an interesting topic I thought Id throw this out for discussion on a new thread.

I like Leaping Crane a lot but I do have some concerns about the first couple of moves. When attacked I think it would be very difficult for the average Joe to comprehend the type of attack and leap off to the side, kick, etc... doing the technique. At the start of a confrontation considering the stress factor I think it might be asking a lot to pull this out of your bag of tricks. Along this line of thinking who can tell the difference between a straight or round house punch??? Makes a huge difference in the technique from what I found.

I think the initial move of any technique needs to be simple and to the point...the KISS rule. This will keep down on any confussion from having to decide from the countless possibilities that exist. Once the attack has been defended then a couple of moves down the road if we see the oppotunity, work the leap to the back. (When I say leap, I was taught this was actually a step into a kick, in other words do not hit the complete balance point, it is not a one legged stance!)

I have no problem with complexity but there is a time and place for it. The beginning is not considering you are reacting and therefore playing catch up with the opponent.

Those of you who have pulled this move off during sparring Id expecially like your input.

OK let me have it!

John

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Fastmover
Since this seems to be an interesting topic I thought Id throw this out for discussion on a new thread.

I like Leaping Crane a lot but I do have some concerns about the first couple of moves. When attacked I think it would be very difficult for the average Joe to comprehend the type of attack and leap off to the side, kick, etc... doing the technique. At the start of a confrontation considering the stress factor I think it might be asking a lot to pull this out of your bag of tricks. Along this line of thinking who can tell the difference between a straight or round house punch??? Makes a huge difference in the technique from what I found.

I think the initial move of any technique needs to be simple and to the point...the KISS rule. This will keep down on any confussion from having to decide from the countless possibilities that exist. Once the attack has been defended then a couple of moves down the road if we see the oppotunity, work the leap to the back. (When I say leap, I was taught this was actually a step into a kick, in other words do not hit the complete balance point, it is not a one legged stance!)

I have no problem with complexity but there is a time and place for it. The beginning is not considering you are reacting and therefore playing catch up with the opponent.

Those of you who have pulled this move off during sparring Id expecially like your input.

OK let me have it!

John

If you want to do it sparring you do it off a right shuffle up backnuckle. I do Leaping Crane and Thundering Hammers consistently. I alter the target to the groin on TH's and call it the Kenpo Touch.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
F

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh come on Clyde your cheating!!! Your hitting the guy first which Im a big advocate of!!! However.....

Im talking about doing this technique in response to our opponents attack. So how can our reaction beat his action when we are responding with a complicated move?

John

R

rmcrobertson

Hate to tag team and all, but here's another way to see it: many of these techniques are actually adaptations of pretty much normal reactions...in the case of Leaping Crane, a duck and a flinch. (Now there's something I understand.)

Or to put it another way, think of the first two moves of LC like this: "I love me," (jump and hug yourself), and "I hate you," (foot comes down, back-knuckle the kidney after the weird sidekick to the back of the knee).

Some believe that raking shot to the rib-cage has no effect. I endured three years of, "hot hands," dummying for the infamous Eddie, and I know better.

Thanks.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes there is a one legged stance but its transitional. just like the cat stance is transitional (most of the time). My god Ive turned.

R

rmcrobertson

Yes...welll...not to worry (dull sound of hideous Lovecraftian chanting heard offstage)...we felt that you would come over....over....over...over....

Congratulations on your new evil,
Spike n'Yogsothoth, from The Mouth of Madness

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok this might help me back into the light. I feel that "leaping Crane " is a more desireable technique than say "five swords" because it puts you on the outside where your fight would be more practical.

R

rmcrobertson

Mr. Tatum's comment on this sort of thing: "you have to choose whether to jump into the fire, or away from the fire..."

We'll have yer soul yet, my pretty...

OP
F

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree that the techniques should be designed around normal reactions which may be the reason I have some concerns with the initial move of Leaping Crane. It is not a common reaction to jump to one leg and "hug yourself" when punched. Even if you decide to do this and pull it off it is still very difficult to tell whether the opponent is throwing a straight or a round house punch. Jumping into the fire may be exactly what your doing if a round house punch is thrown.

TOD
Yes I was taught not to do a one legged stance because you are coming to a complete balance point which stalls your momentum going into the back knuckle. True a one legged stance is required to throw any kick, but it is very transitional.

In addition the kick should not be to the back of the leg. We do this in training to be nice to our training partners because in reality the kick should be to the side of the knee breaking it. Which will turn the opponent with their back facing us setting up the rest of the technique.

I feel more comfortable on the outside as well, unfortunately my response may have not placed me there.

Again I dont have a problem with the technique overall but I do have a problem with being able to react successfully with the initial move. You are going to have to be really good at anticipating the attack to be successful.

C

c2kenpo

I agree that the techniques should be designed around normal reactions which may be the reason I have some concerns with the initial move of Leaping Crane. It is not a common reaction to jump to one leg and "hug yourself" when punched. Even if you decide to do this and pull it off it is still very difficult to tell whether the opponent is throwing a straight or a round house punch. Jumping into the fire may be exactly what your doing if a round house punch is thrown.

TOD
Yes I was taught not to do a one legged stance because you are coming to a complete balance point which stalls your momentum going into the back knuckle. True a one legged stance is required to throw any kick, but it is very transitional.

In addition the kick should not be to the back of the leg. We do this in training to be nice to our training partners because in reality the kick should be to the side of the knee breaking it. Which will turn the opponent with their back facing us setting up the rest of the technique.

I feel more comfortable on the outside as well, unfortunately my response may have not placed me there.

Again I dont have a problem with the technique overall but I do have a problem with being able to react successfully with the initial move. You are going to have to be really good at anticipating the attack to be successful.

Funny we just worked this tech last night. One of the thoughts we have is definatly DO NOT "hop" and "luv me" we kept taking the attackers intelligence level up certian notches for counters and found that basicly in order to "hop and luv me" you need an idiot.
Instead we looked at it as a range issue between Leaping Crane and Thundering Hammers. Both have the exact same beggining but if you cannot excecute Thundering Hammers due to your targets being farther away then the flow went right into Leaping Crane.
Once other difference was the raking middle knuckle strike, this we found was not very effective in really getting the body to react or stop the attackers motion. Instead envision your right hand behind you kind of protecting a small child and then the atttacker goes...just like Thundering Hammers again the hammerfist strike. If your hand was in a thrusting position instead of attempting to create this raking strike I just like executing a nice vertical punch to the floating rib. So far that has stopped everyone. Either way the motion has brought us back to the point of refrence for whipping on the backnuckle strike and the kick has been there keeping our opponent close instead of "Leaping" out of the way, Maybe we should rename it Thundering Cranes????

Anways...that was our take on the tech...and taking it to sparring level...the gauge of where the block / parry then strike was the difference for us. Just our take on the topic sorry to be long winded.

Journey well.

David Gunzburg

P

ProfessorKenpo

Oh come on Clyde your cheating!!! Your hitting the guy first which Im a big advocate of!!! However.....

Im talking about doing this technique in response to our opponents attack. So how can our reaction beat his action when we are responding with a complicated move?

John

I am talking about doing it as a response. There's physical speed and perceptional speed, you should have alot of both.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Ok this might help me back into the light. I feel that "leaping Crane " is a more desireable technique than say "five swords" because it puts you on the outside where your fight would be more practical.

So what's wrong with being on the inside? If you do Five Swords the way I do it, or how we teach it (you gotta remember I'm always doing something a little different than most), it's a great technique. Being on the backside isn't always desirable, especially in a multi-opponent situation. I guess it all depends on whether A)you're in the liquid or gas phase, B) your environment that would dictate doing the technique to the back or front side of your opponent, C) the nature of the attack. Hmmm, guess that's Kenpo, constantly challenging the mind as well as the body, gotta love it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

R

rmcrobertson

1) I don't agree about the "balance point," in a one-legged stance. Sure, for starters, that's what's taught, that's what's learned. However...and I am patenting this analogy...consider the roller-coaster. When climibing a hill and appearing to pause, does it in fact stop? Nope; it's an effect of, "rounding off the corners." (Very much not my idea, this last.)

2) That rake does in fact work....in part because it can be read as a "minor," move. A punch would be transforming it into a major move...all well and good, but I suspect that's goling to lose a lot more momentum than a transitional crane. The rake also has an interesting relation to the other raking back-knuckle in the technique.

3) The extension also employs a, "one-legged," stance. Hm.

4) Yes, in the ideal form of the technique, kick the back of the leg. If you do the side kick properly, the attacker will rotate and bring the left kidney into position. If you start monkeying with the attacks, then, nothing says that you can't stick with the pattern and go for different targets....like, in some situations, the inside of the right knee with that first kick.

5) When you change the opening of LC...not in practice, which may very well be a good idea, but in the student's curriculum, you are likely to lose something else: an education in the range of possible ways to duck out of the way. Look at the relation among LC, Thundering Hammers, Circling the Horizon, Gathering Clouds, Protective Fans...all take you to the left and outside of a right punch in different ways, and clearly the next move is different. Lose a move or a technique, lose part of the spectrum...possible to dig it back out of the arrangement of the old Web of Knowledge, but I guess I think it's harder by far...

Thanks.

OP
F

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
1. Im not sure how you are suggesting to kick the inside of the opponents leg, but I was speaking of kicking the outside of his right leg.

2. Are you suggesting that this move in LC is in there for catagory completion?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DING, DING, DING, DING you just won the plastic toy that cost less to make than you payed to play the game. As for your first question you are going to kick to the inside of one leg and the outside of another depending on which leg is forward because you are now beside the opponent.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

TOD

well then I submit you were taught at a lower level and that has no bearing on the use of the technique at higher levels. those pauses and counter balances will disapear when you start rounding off corners and elongating circles. As for that round house punch comment, if one were to, say, bob and weave you may now complete leaping crane or any number of tech ideas on the outside.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
So what's wrong with being on the inside? If you do Five Swords the way I do it, or how we teach it (you gotta remember I'm always doing something a little different than most), it's a great technique. Being on the backside isn't always desirable, especially in a multi-opponent situation. I guess it all depends on whether A)you're in the liquid or gas phase, B) your environment that would dictate doing the technique to the back or front side of your opponent, C) the nature of the attack. Hmmm, guess that's Kenpo, constantly challenging the mind as well as the body, gotta love it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
Clyde, nothing is wrong with you being on the inside. I just hope you teach your lower belts which side is more practical for a beginner. If you at least taught that as a beginning idea that would be the basics, which is basicly where you want to be. As for you by all means "step into the fire" baby.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
. As for you by all means "step into the fire" baby.

This kinda reminds me of how they extinguished all the oil well fires in Iraq, they blew them out with a big explosion, guess that would be me LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
F

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
Let me me clear something up. I was taught not to hit a complete balance point, this would be rounding the corner and as a consequence delete the dead space within the technique. I do have to laugh about the "lower level" comment??? It was a little fast on the gun to jump to such a conclusion, still nice shot.

From what I have found most people can not pick up the difference between a round house punch and a straight punch. I agree with the bob and weave comment and thats what Im getting at, but then you changed the technique which will place you on the dark side with some. Plus due to your diligence of working the technique for years, you have already solidified the "leap and hug" into your memory. What you practice is what you will attempt on the street.

This all brings me to an interesting point. Why for the sack of catagory completion would you complete something to your mental and physical memory that might create some problems?When responding wouldnt it be logical to have something that is more universal and would take into account the diiferent possibilities; such as the round house punch and straight punch in this case?

A bob and weave has been suggested and I tend to agree because we have simplified our response. I think simplicity increases the likely hood of being succussful. Maybe we in Kenpo try to get too smart and fancy with our movements for the sack of catagory completion???? Sure maybe you advanced black belts pull off this move but after how many years of training?

Ok let me have it again....bring on the shots!

John

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me me clear something up. I was taught not to hit a complete balance point, this would be rounding the corner and as a consequence delete the dead space within the technique. I do have to laugh about the "lower level" comment??? It was a little fast on the gun to jump to such a conclusion, still nice shot.

From what I have found most people can not pick up the difference between a round house punch and a straight punch. I agree with the bob and weave comment and thats what Im getting at, but then you changed the technique which will place you on the dark side with some. Plus due to your diligence of working the technique for years, you have already solidified the "leap and hug" into your memory. What you practice is what you will attempt on the street.

This all brings me to an interesting point. Why for the sack of catagory completion would you complete something to your mental and physical memory that might create some problems?When responding wouldnt it be logical to have something that is more universal and would take into account the diiferent possibilities; such as the round house punch and straight punch in this case?

A bob and weave has been suggested and I tend to agree because we have simplified our response. I think simplicity increases the likely hood of being succussful. Maybe we in Kenpo try to get too smart and fancy with our movements for the sack of catagory completion???? Sure maybe you advanced black belts pull off this move but after how many years of training?

Ok let me have it again....bring on the shots!

John
If using the equation formula puts me on the dark side then the dark side aint so bad. We don't teach our students to pause any longer than it takes to aim the kick but if you guys are teaching that lesson to where it becomes ingrained then modify your teaching method. Come to the dark side Luke.

Latest Discussions