Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was hobbling out of a grocery store yesterday, that is near a mall, and near a major highway, with all the road noise I could hear, a Tesla drove right buy me in the parking lot. And a thought came to me, if all the vehicles on the road are electric....this place is going to be very quiet

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was hobbling out of a grocery store yesterday, that is near a mall, and near a major highway, with all the road noise I could hear, a Tesla drove right buy me in the parking lot. And a thought came to me, if all the vehicles on the road are electric....this place is going to be very quiet
I’ve had a couple of electric cars and a phev. I love them. Never a Tesla, though, and to be honest I’m not sure I want to encourage Elon Musk.

Fun to go into the wayback machine.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’ve had a couple of electric cars and a phev. I love them. Never a Tesla, though, and to be honest I’m not sure I want to encourage Elon Musk.

Fun to go into the wayback machine.

Doesn't have to be a Tesla, could be any electric car, but road full of electric cars, would be incredibly quiet bt comparison to today

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be a Tesla, could be any electric car, but road full of electric cars, would be incredibly quiet bt comparison to today
That's both one of the nice things about electric cars, and frightening. The concern is inattentive people (which is an awfully large number, these days) walking out in front of cars because they didn't hear them coming.
We don't know how valid that concern will turn out to be, but it's certainly something to look into.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's both one of the nice things about electric cars, and frightening. The concern is inattentive people (which is an awfully large number, these days) walking out in front of cars because they didn't hear them coming.
We don't know how valid that concern will turn out to be, but it's certainly something to look into.

Many years ago I told a friend of mine with a Toyota Prius that it was a Ninja car because it could easily sneak up on people

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many years ago I told a friend of mine with a Toyota Prius that it was a Ninja car because it could easily sneak up on people
So cars like my Vette shouldn't annoy anyone. The engine noise is a safety feature, right? :D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You will still have plenty of wreckers towing them and service vehicles giving them a boost to offset the silence.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry, I can't hear it over the Harley that just went by with the baffles removed :D
I spent a fair bit of time and effort keeping the car legal. Mostly.
Technically, it's not street legal because the EPA says you cannot change the number or location of the cats. It came with two, but I have replaced them with Hi Flow cats (which is fine). Because I have long-tube headers on the car, the cats are not in the exact same place as the factory. It's not obnoxiously loud, with the cats in place and a MagnaFlow muffler. And it's emissions are well below what is mandated. But it's still technically not street legal. The way I see it, I'm breaking the letter of the law (by moving the cats a few inches) but staying within the spirit of the law (by producing less emissions than is required for a bone-stock car).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually - that's been a real concern. Hybrids and electric vehicles are lots quieter than internal combustion, and people -- like the deaf -- don't have the cues they're used to for a vehicle's approach. I think it was on the Prius that they actually added some sort of noise generator...

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually - that's been a real concern. Hybrids and electric vehicles are lots quieter than internal combustion, and people -- like the deaf -- don't have the cues they're used to for a vehicle's approach. I think it was on the Prius that they actually added some sort of noise generator...
And then it got silly. Every BMW made today pumps in fake engine/exhaust sounds through the audio system. Ford does the same thing with the Mustang.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I work in a city, and with all these people walking around talking on their phones and listening to music and books while wearing ear buds, I have seen multiple people totally unaware of their surroundings and walk right into traffic without looking.

But even if there is a noise generator in the Prius, it is still incredibly quiet

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Made some smoked candied Jalapeños today and some bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers on the smoker today then did some burgers on the old webber kettle grill......it was a good day.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wrong, it's gonna be electric!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wrong, it's gonna be electric!
so you're saying it will be more like this.....
giphy.gif

Dang that's dangerous.....whose idea was this whole electric car thing anyway :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Halloween night....
Tricker Treaters showing up at the door...
My daughter is at a Halloween party...
Mrs Xue is out shopping....
And they leave the guy on crutches with a stiff leg here to deal with it...

So far only had one group leave because, apparently, I could not get there fast enough.... but one hour on and were at about 50 kids already....

Got to go...answer the doorbell

Latest Discussions